Subject: Simplifying the Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
I haven't played Brass yet but have gone over the rules pretty well. It seems to me Martin Wallace's rules are really tedious. I felt bogged down in what seemed like a myriad rules for connectivity until I realized it was really quite simple.

He mentions that the anchor on the Coal Demand track represents its connection to built ports or External Locations (that also have anchors) but it seems like the Cotton Demand track should also have an anchor symbol.

The following seems like it would have been a nice preface to the details to follow:

All constructed ports and external locations connect to the Coal Demand track and the Distant Market. Moving coal and cotton require a linked path. External Locations function like local Locations; you can link through them.

Building with an Industry Card or building a link are the only times you need connectivity with your own tiles or links.

Please correct me if this is not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
There is no knowledge that is not power
mbmbmbmbmb
Roguester wrote:

All constructed ports and external locations connect to the Coal Demand track and the Distant Market. Moving coal and cotton require a linked path. External Locations function like local Locations; you can link through them.

Building with an Industry Card or building a link are the only times you need connectivity with your own tiles or links.

Yes. You are right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roguester wrote:
External Locations function like local Locations; you can link through them.

Is that true?
Can you make a rail to a external Location and then a rail from it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nope, at least you cant just start from an external location and rail in to Another location unless you have a building in the location connected to that external location (or if you build a double rail you at least need a presence that is 2 locations away from that external to be able to rail out to there) ie you cant just build a double rail from Southport to Wigan to Warrington if you dont have anything in Wigan or Warrington

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
Roguester wrote:
External Locations function like local Locations; you can link through them.

Is that true?
Can you make a rail to a external Location and then a rail from it?

what do you mean? give an example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have an industry in Colne, I can create a rail to Yorkshire.
Can I then create a rail between Yorkshire and Rochdale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
If I have an industry in Colne, I can create a rail to Yorkshire.
Can I then create a rail between Yorkshire and Rochdale?

of course you can then create a rail link between Yorkshire and Rochdale taking coal from the demand track through the external location but the question comes up if you could build in the first place a rail link between Colne and Yorkshire. As far as I remember I had that query too at the beginning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
External locations are locations. So if you are connected to an external location (via a canal or rail), you can then create a link from that location.

It's somewhat rare that you would actually want to do this, assuming quality play. There are a few edge cases where it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roguester wrote:
I haven't played Brass yet but have gone over the rules pretty well. It seems to me Martin Wallace's rules are really tedious. I felt bogged down in what seemed like a myriad rules for connectivity until I realized it was really quite simple.

there is an alternative...

Restructured Rules for Brass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
External locations are locations. So if you are connected to an external location (via a canal or rail), you can then create a link from that location.

It's somewhat rare that you would actually want to do this, assuming quality play. There are a few edge cases where it makes sense.

What about building your first link to the external location. Can you bring coal from the external location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siromist wrote:
What about building your first link to the external location. Can you bring coal from the external location?

Coal can come from either end of a rail link.

Note that if there are coal cubes on the board (on industry tiles) and those cubes are connected to where you're building a rail link, you can't use the external location (market) coal for that link. You have to use the closest linked coal.

It is possible to use the external location coal if there is none on the board, or if the coal on the board does not connect to where you are building (however, it can connect THROUGH the external location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Also probably worth mentioning: in case of double-rail-building, coal has to be available for each of the individual builds. So, e.g. if you are sitting in Stockport and want to connect to the Midlands, you are out of luck, if there is no coal connected to Stockpile. But if you have one coal available, you can take this to build to Macclesfield, and then the second coal from the external market (the Midlands), so it's even possible, to take both coals from different directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You can build a transport link from/to any location that is in your personal network.

A location is in your personal network if you have an industry tile there or if you own at least one transport link from/to the location.

You can build an industry tile in a location if one or more of the following criteria are met:

- you are building using a location card and the location named by the card is the location where you are trying to build;
- you are building using an industry card and the industry named by the card is the industry you are trying to build and the location where you are trying to build is in your personal network;
- you are building using an industry card and the industry named by the card is the industry you are trying to build and the location where you are trying to build is joined by a Virtual Connection to a location that is in your personal network*;
- you are building using an industry card and the industry named by the card is the industry you are trying to build and none of the board locations are in your personal network.

* I believe the rules are a bit inconsistent between different editions as to whether the Virtual Connection is symmetric in this way. I think it makes the rules tidier if it is treated as being symmetric.

The only way in which external locations differ from other locations is that they always count as being connected to a constructed port. This is relevant to buying and selling coal and to selling cotton to the distant market, but not to whether you can build industry or transport links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.