Subject: castle Defence re-roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All

I'm just learning the rules to this game and would ask for some clarification on the re-roll rules when defending from a castle.

1. Having elected to choose Archers (Rank 2) for a re-roll in the first round of a battle do ALL dice thrown need to be re-rolled or just those dice that never scored a hit? There is an element of cake and eat, here. If 5 dice are rolled and only 2 score hits to perform a re-roll must I sacrifice the 2 hits to gamble on more than 2 hits or do I get cake and eat by retaining the 2 hits and just re-rolling the 3 misses.

2. Having elected for Archer (Rank 2) re-roll in round 1 can I elect cavalry (Rank 3) in round 2 or must I stick with Archers until the battle is resolved.

Thank you in advance for answers received.

Cheers
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My take on this: you re-roll everything or nothing. And yes, you can choose a different unit type to re-roll in the second round of the battle, if there is one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! Re rolling can be risky--you could actually score fewer hits! I too believe it is all of the dice....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:

1. Having elected to choose Archers (Rank 2) for a re-roll in the first round of a battle do ALL dice thrown need to be re-rolled or just those dice that never scored a hit?

2. Having elected for Archer (Rank 2) re-roll in round 1 can I elect cavalry (Rank 3) in round 2 or must I stick with Archers until the battle is resolved.

1. Reroll all or nothing.
2. You can change what you reroll from round to round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent. I love the idea of the gamble and hate cake and eat it.

Thank you very much for coming back to me so quickly.

I've just trialled a few moves and it seems to be an intriguing game. One side went the Paris/ Madrid Tax bonus route and soon amassed an overwhelming army. A quick strike at Berlin broke their nearest rival. A move on London to consolidate their gains left the other three armies looking at an alliance to stop the rot.

However, in the back-drop the two remaining large armies were working on ways to gain crowns to gain an edge on their respective allies as they moved a united front towards Paris.

Brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Rittmeister
Germany
Ludwigshafen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding question 1 the rules are not very clear, but I agree that it's supposed to be all or nothing.

In regard of question 2 the (german edition) rules state clearly (on page 17) that you might select one rank for the castle benefit for the entire battle. You are not allowed to change that rank until the battle is over.

But maybe it is poorly translated and it is different in the original rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
homunGOlus wrote:

In regard of question 2 the (german edition) rules state clearly (on page 17) that you might select one rank for the castle benefit for the entire battle. You are not allowed to change that rank until the battle is over.

English rules, p16: "player may reroll all dice of a single rank each time the Ranked Attack Order is repeated".

I see no reason, in English, why this would restrict a player from changing the attack rank they reroll after the order resets. It may indeed be one of those translation things.

I can't see that it would make a massive difference, but it seems more fun to allow more flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you re-rolling in the first round? The rules allow for re-rolls when ranked attack order is repeated.
"Player may re-roll all dice of a single rank each time the Ranked Attack Order is repeated".

David Groves wrote:
Hi All

I'm just learning the rules to this game and would ask for some clarification on the re-roll rules when defending from a castle.

1. Having elected to choose Archers (Rank 2) for a re-roll in the first round of a battle do ALL dice thrown need to be re-rolled or just those dice that never scored a hit? There is an element of cake and eat, here. If 5 dice are rolled and only 2 score hits to perform a re-roll must I sacrifice the 2 hits to gamble on more than 2 hits or do I get cake and eat by retaining the 2 hits and just re-rolling the 3 misses.

Thank you in advance for answers received.

Cheers
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yngwie1751 wrote:
How are you re-rolling in the first round? The rules allow for re-rolls when ranked attack order is repeated.
"Player may re-roll all dice of a single rank each time the Ranked Attack Order is repeated".

Quirk of English. It's perfectly acceptable for this to mean "each time you run through the Ranked Attack Order, including the first time". Repetition is not strictly required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Yngwie1751 wrote:

Quirk of English. It's perfectly acceptable for this to mean "each time you run through the Ranked Attack Order, including the first time". Repetition is not strictly required.

I agree with the reroll every round including after the first, and I hope that the player may choose a different rank each round, but the question is a valid one and not at all answered by the actual written rule. I would like to see a designer clarification of all three of the points raised by this post.

Of course, this is Hasbro, so I'm not holding out hope for an official FAQ document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.