$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you tunnel when there are no cards in the deck or discard pile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Freeman
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I couldn't find an answer to this on the forum already, apologies in advance if I've missed it.

We came across a highly unusual situation during a five player game of Ticket to Ride: Europe.

Due to card hoarding, there were no train cards left in either the deck or the discard pile.

One of the players wanted to claim a tunnel. How would people deal with the requirement to flip three cards off the deck? Can you still tunnel, or do you have to pick a different action?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It wouldn't be the same as drawing cards at all, because the ratios change, especially if people are hoarding cards, but you could just use dice to generate a random number between 1 and however many different colours there are (I forget how many it is now). On a 1, you have to chip in another card. The problem with this approach comes when someone has been keeping a very watchful eye on how many of each colour has been and gone - in this case, they might have a reasonable expectation of a greater chance of success.

Another way to do it might be to just have the tunnels cost one or two cards more. If people are hoarding, they can definitely afford it.

It doesn't seem possible to generate a "fair" solution but I'd consider either of those better than disallowing the action altogether.

Of course, it doesn't seem like this would happen often enough to need a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook on page 5 wrote:
In the rare event there is not enough cards available in the draw and discard piles to reveal 3 cards and determine the effect of the tunnel on a player, then only those cards that are available are revealed. If, as a result of players hoarding cards, there are none to be revealed, a tunnel can be claimed without risking additional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Huh. Waddayaknow....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see how this might happen with warehouses from 1912 expansion maybe. But with just base game- that's some serious hoarding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I could see how this might happen with warehouses from 1912 expansion maybe. But with just base game- that's some serious hoarding!
Group think would makes its way here... one player likes to hoard cards, then then claim routes 8 to 15 turns in a row. If 2 to 5 players do this, then I can see that to be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.