9 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: What is in the final chest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I don't think I'm ever going to see what is in the final chest, the game beat me. But I would like to too from anyone who has completed the entire campaign what is in that last chest? Even if I wanted to play again the other players in my group are done with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You mean the winner of the campaign is the only one who gets to see what is in the final box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Think he means his playgroup stopped playing so he wont get to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Gwyneth Paltrow's head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Think he means his playgroup stopped playing so he wont get to see.

Of course if they aren't playing the game he could just open all the boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious why they're done with it?

I've heard so many mixed things about the game and would like to hear your experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Open your own box and look through it? Isn't this the simplest solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Open your own box and look through it? Isn't this the simplest solution?

i suspect he's not the owner of his playgroup's copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
No I don't own it, I wanted to open that last box, but the other players felt that opening the chest was a bad idea since one of them is also getting this game despite the fact he was threatening to quit our current campaign in frustration.
Glic2003 wrote:
I'm curious why they're done with it?

I've heard so many mixed things about the game and would like to hear your experiences.

Before we even started playing I was excited for this game, before the owner of the game went to gen con he described it to me as a 4X legacy game and 4X being one of my favorite genres I almost pre ordered the game myself. The owner of the game was on the same boat as me for the most part with the same love for 4X games, which made the initial impact of the game a lot more devastating as we learned the meat of the game was a simplified merchants and marauders with most of the story telling events coming from actions in a similar way to something like above and below. The story was great at the start and at all milestones and chest openings but the colonialism theme on the small explore actions quickly became just boring, some of them seemed to hint at something bigger but was taking a long time to actual show. The pacing of the game and the story with 5 players seems ridiculously slow especially on later games, games begin to move up from 2 hours per game to 3. I'm not even sure if there is a coherent story since the pieces of whatever is happening is coming out very far apart. It quickly turned from What is going to happen? to Are we there yet?
During the first game after the prologue I spent almost the entire game buying an explore upgrade and getting a adviser to try to unlock a explore a 6 difficulty site and failed, I gave up on getting any glory at that point utterly defeated by that bad roll.
Another player also had some bad luck, but I wasn't really paying attention to him and scored 0 glory on the 3rd or 4th game, I think it was because he was competing with another player for a milestone and was a little to slow on achieving it
One player early on caught on to how poorly balanced the exploration action seemed to be if you are lucky like he was. In one game he explored a special spot that was just unlocked through milestones and received a whooping 9 points out of 15 that was required to end the game. The guy that had unlocked that spot was not happy as he had only received 5 points for unlocking it and sinking due to hazards afterwards
The player that had just explored for 9 points then explored that same spot again after winter on his next turn and got another 8 points making this round the final round. He was in first overall for around 6 games before other people had understood exploration seemed broken and offered way too many points compared to the other actions. They contested him for major exploration points and eventually they overtook him by a massive amount of points, he went from 1st to 3 from around game 5 to game 10 which is where we gave up.
After the 10th game which is when we gave up, we talked and found out the owner of the game and I were only playing the game because we committed to the campaign and we wanted to open the last box and see the ending. The owner of the game said work related things started picking up for him and the last thing he wanted to do after working so hard was to play a terrible game for 3 hours, that he had lost interest in everything other than the finishing the game by opening the boxes and getting some of the story. I felt the exact same way, especially since the climax of the story was at the end, the thing that was hinted at since the start of the game.
The player who was in first most of the campaign was also just playing to open the boxes, during one game this player was setting up to unlock the next milestone, but another more competitive player kept ending the game as fast as possible to win. It was going to be two games without the milestone being finished by the player who just wanted to open the boxes, he was so infuriated by the fact we were about to go into another game without the milestone being unlocked that he was going to quit the campaign entirely.
Even the competitive player after a 3 hour game made a comment on how he wanted to play another game rather than just calling it a night at 10pm to wash off seafall, that the game seemed to create this sober, depressing mood, which it did.
I do not understand some of the design, a certain thing must be done in order to progress the game that I think was a terrible choice to include in the game as it takes an entire game usually unless you get lucky with successful explorations. It is so railroady and I don't think it adds much to the game up until a certain point.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
To complete one of the mile stones someone must discover an island after 4 colonies have been built. BUILDING COLONIES IS EXTREMELY TEDIOUS AND BORING, WHY IS THIS IN HERE? NO ONE ELSE WANTED TO BUILD ANY SO I SPENT 3 ENTIRE GAMES BUILDING ALL 4 COLONIES, THIS HURT THE GAME SO MUCH MORE FOR ME. THANK GOD I GOT LUCKY AFTER BUILDING MY FIRST COLONY I GOT A LUCKY EXPLORE THAT GOT ME THE RESOURCES TO BARELY SQUEEZE IN A 2ND ONE ON THE SAME GAME

Many of the new content introduced from new boxes unlocked during the earlier games seemed so bland and boring, the later content was much more interesting but shortly after became dull.
Towards the end of the campaign seemed as though rather than an incline to reach the end of the campaign it was complete luck when we would reach it. It gets unnecessarily secretive as other players are holding things you need to figure out this puzzle. We all agreed this would have made a much better coop even with the milestone system alone, since opening another chest was usually a very hard task that offered a major amount of points why would we want anyone else to accomplish any of them? We could just be raiding each other and sabotaging each other's plans and be stuck with the same content for a very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.