Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions about open ground:

1) According to the rout rules, units with a -1 modifier for being uphill of all enemy units in LOS are not considered in open ground. Likewise such a unit is not considered in open ground for the purposes of the 'moving in open ground' modifier. Is this also applicable to concealment - i.e. can a unit atop a hill that is higher than all enemies on LOS regain concealment, and maintain concealment when moving?

a) Units moving to/from foxhole hexes are considered to be in open ground. Does this mean that a unit will always lose concealment when leaving a foxhole hex if any enemy unit has LOS to that hex, and likewise when entering a foxhole hex, even if they are moving to/from other concealment terrain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
A couple questions about open ground:

1) According to the rout rules, units with a -1 modifier for being uphill of all enemy units in LOS are not considered in open ground. Likewise such a unit is not considered in open ground for the purposes of the 'moving in open ground' modifier. Is this also applicable to concealment - i.e. can a unit atop a hill that is higher than all enemies on LOS regain concealment, and maintain concealment when moving?

I believe, but I cannot confirm, that the Terrain Effects Chart indicates that the uphill modifier does not apply for the purposes of open ground fire benefits or routing. Since I don't have it in front of me, I can't verify.

Perhaps if the uphill benefit applied for all units with LOS it would apply for routing purposes. Unsure.

[edit] I am incorrect for the purposes of the open ground fire modifier. From section 52.0
Quote:

This increase is not applied if there are any other
negative terrain modifiers that would apply, like the -1 for
firing uphill.

Likewise for routing, from section 11.0:

Quote:
They are not considered in Open Ground if they have a
beneficial terrain modifier against all direct fire (Foxholes,
Hedgerows, Halftracks etc.).

So, the trick is to make sure they have "protection" in the form of a beneficial terrain modifier against all direct fire.

Quote:
Is this also applicable to concealment - i.e. can a unit atop a hill that is higher than all enemies on LOS regain concealment, and maintain concealment when moving?

For concealment is trickier...

The wording for loss of concealment is this:

Quote:
They are in Open Ground and in the LOS of an enemy unit
(including Vehicles). If the LOS is questionable, it may be
checked.

There is no exception made for the beneficial terrain modifier from being uphill. I guess this one is up for Jim to answer. I would rule that concealment would be lost, personally.

Quote:
a) Units moving to/from foxhole hexes are considered to be in open ground. Does this mean that a unit will always lose concealment when leaving a foxhole hex if any enemy unit has LOS to that hex, and likewise when entering a foxhole hex, even if they are moving to/from other concealment terrain?

Caveat: The rule is "and may be considered moving in Open Ground. Use the other terrain in the hex."

If the terrain the fox hole is in is open ground, then they would lose concealment, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Is this also applicable to concealment - i.e. can a unit atop a hill that is higher than all enemies on LOS regain concealment, and maintain concealment when moving?

1. GAINING Concealment has nothing to do with the terrain occupied, you have to be out of LOS of all enemy units.

2. Yes you can retain Concealment while moving as long as no enemy units in LOS are at the same or higher elevation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.