Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance that this series will move to the East? For me personally the new scholarship surrounding the battle of Kursk has spawned some new interest in the topic and I've been looking around at what is available, old and new, and I'm not all that impressed.

This series seems to me to be a good fit for the topic, at least for parts such as the southern attack, any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frankhastings wrote:
Is there any chance that this series will move to the East? For me personally the new scholarship surrounding the battle of Kursk has spawned some new interest in the topic and I've been looking around at what is available, old and new, and I'm not all that impressed.

This series seems to me to be a good fit for the topic, at least for parts such as the southern attack, any thoughts?

There has been sporadic talk about a three-game GTS Kursk game, but that was a handful of years ago. There were even a few prototype pictures posted by the series designer. Again, that was a few years ago.

Now that he has moved on, I don't believe anything is in the works for east front much less Kursk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too bad, it seems this system would work well in the East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I hope someone gets to it. I'd like to see some Soviet troops. But alas . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to give my new system a shot, I have games coming on Stalingrad and a remake of the Ur-game, Panzer Command (on the Chir River battles)...

One of the reasons you didn't see Eastern Front games in GTS is it didn't move well to other theaters. Now, I can make something from the ground up that covers both the Pacific and the East - as well as the late war Western Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
A Panzer Command redo would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
If you're willing to give my new system a shot, I have games coming on Stalingrad and a remake of the Ur-game, Panzer Command (on the Chir River battles)...

One of the reasons you didn't see Eastern Front games in GTS is it didn't move well to other theaters. Now, I can make something from the ground up that covers both the Pacific and the East - as well as the late war Western Front.

Looking forward to the games, I'll keep an eye out.

I'm surprised GTS doesn't move well to the East given its pretty much direct linage to Panzer Command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:

Adam, I missed the news. Where are you going to and what is your new system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeb - yeah, I've moved from MMP and have started my own company called SDS Games. I'm busy getting a website together and should have it done in a few weeks. After that, I'll get a page going on BGG and CSW. Currently, you can see information on my upcoming projects on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/igsandgts

First up is a company scale game on the invasion of Tinian...followed by a mating game on Saipan in the spring of next year. More stuff coming as well...

Check it out and I hope you like what you see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from MMP? What does that mean for the other two Beaches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
Hi Jeb - yeah, I've moved from MMP and have started my own company called SDS Games. I'm busy getting a website together and should have it done in a few weeks. After that, I'll get a page going on BGG and CSW. Currently, you can see information on my upcoming projects on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/igsandgts

First up is a company scale game on the invasion of Tinian...followed by a mating game on Saipan in the spring of next year. More stuff coming as well...

Check it out and I hope you like what you see.

For those who have not clicked on the link ... You are in for a treat.

I'm in! Looking forward to seeing a lot more of the series ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a Panzer Command remake.

I sense something strange going on at MMP

Wish you good look with SDSGames, always liked your GTS designs.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:

Hi Adam,

could you point out some reasons why it didn't "move well" in the East?
I would really liked to haven seen GTS moving East.
What about another, now larger, North Africa module?

regards
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
Moved from MMP? What does that mean for the other two Beaches?

It looks like they are being moved over to another game system, and will not be available as GTS modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not true, Brian Youse on the consimworld site has stated that the other two beaches will be done by MMP and as GTS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfu_fear wrote:
That is not true, Brian Youse on the consimworld site has stated that the other two beaches will be done by MMP and as GTS.

Thanks for posting that info. On Adam Starkweather's IGS and GTS page he says that Utah and Omaha are going to be part of the CSS system, and the covers are shown as Greatest Generation Volumes I and III.

On a second rereading, there may be a typo in one of the posts, and he may be saying that there will be a CSS version and may be a GTS version. I'm not really clear. One quote from Adam: "MMP and I have parted ways so it isn't possible for me to make a game that would mate exactly with the old GTS game."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/igsandgts/

My personal preference would be for them to be GTS games, but I have yet to be consulted for my opinion on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfu_fear wrote:

Could you post the CSW link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
sfu_fear wrote:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d502/115660
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ty. Appreciate the info.

Here's the chief part of what Brian posted (from Ty's link):

"There will be a GTS Utah and GTS Omaha game. The silly side of us thinks all will be able to be linked up in one massive affair. They will all use the GTS 2.0 rules. They will be published by MMP.

Due to the posts we saw on Facebook, it appears that Adam no longer wishes to be involved with creation of GTS games. While this may be viewed as a loss by many, we are drawing together a team of experienced GTS designers to ensure these games maintain the high quality you have come to expect from MMP.

Niko will continue to produce all the map and counter artwork, as he has for every GTS game released to date. Some of the same people involved in the creation and development of GTS TGD:SJG will be involved on moving GTS forward through the rest of Normandy and a plethora of other subjects.

MMP remains committed to putting out GTS games...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Niko will continue to produce all the map and counter artwork, as he has for every GTS game released to date.

Overall good news, but this part is specially good IMHO. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of me wonders if this focus on the "other two games" is a bit quixotic. It is hard to explain how huuuuuge TGD is with just the SJG part. How many players have actually played it toward the end? I"m looking for those people. Layer in Utah and Omaha . . . it boggles the mind. It this really more about completeness than it is about actually playing the games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it "aspirational gaming." No matter how unlikely, one corner of my mind always thinks that someday, "I'll have all the time and all the money."

I don't disagree. I've played campaigns of Where Eagles Dare and The Devil's Cauldron, but just putting those two together and playing as one large campaign is beyond what I'm capable of right now. From what I've heard putting together all three beach modules would just be crazy.

That doesn't mean that I won't buy Omah and Utah, and think about the glory of all three together whenever I'm having a bad day. The chances of me playing all three simultaneously to completion are minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tsnouffer wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d502/115660

"I felt a great disturbance in the Geek, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1974vertigo2009 wrote:
autumnweave wrote:
Niko will continue to produce all the map and counter artwork, as he has for every GTS game released to date.

100% agree, Nikolas Map & Counter Art for the GTS series are among the best of all CoSims out there!
I just love the combination of original contemporary tactical symbols (instead of the "boring" NATO symbols)
plus the armored vehicle silhouettes where appropriate
(especially using rare types for those units which implemented them).
His Art adds so much to the ambient mood and flavor of this series.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Abraxx wrote:
1974vertigo2009 wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

100% agree, Nikolas Map & Counter Art for the GTS series are among the best of all CoSims out there!
I just love the combination of original contemporary tactical symbols (instead of the "boring" NATO symbols)
plus the armored vehicle silhouettes where appropriate
(especially using rare types for those units which implemented them).
His Art adds so much to the ambient mood and flavor of this series.

meeple

So I guess Adam does not 'own' the rules or the system? The publisher does. Or will he receive a royalty anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.