Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there has been discussion of how long this Treacherous Fog lasts as far as its threat boost to locations. (Until the end of the phase, even if new locations show up.)

But, my brain is frozen on the word "then", as far as the next sentence.

Treacherous Fog wrote:
When Revealed: Each location in the staging area gets +1 threat until the end of the phase. Then, each player with a threat of 35 or higher chooses and discards 1 card from his hand.

The FAQ says this:
FAQ wrote:
(1.15) The word “then”
If a card effect uses the word “then,” then the preceding effect must resolve successfully for the subsequent dependent effect to resolve.

So the question my brain sticks on, is when exactly do the players discard their cards, if they are over 35 threat? Immediately after applying the threat bonus to locations (so before the next encounter card is revealed or before questing is resolved, in other words, before doing anything else), or, at the end of the phase? This could make a huge difference if the players' threats are hovering just below 35 at the beginning of questing, but might be over 35 at the end of resolving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would discard immediately after applying the threat bonus to the locations. When revealed effects resolve start to finish immediate, unless it says otherwise (such as "at the end of the round", etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Wooles
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resolve each treachery car in its entirety before revealing the next one. So each location would be +1 threat, and then you check players threat. After that you carry on either revealing cards or resolving questing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what OP is saying is that the effect of the treachery lingers until the end of the phase - new locations revealed after Treacherous Fog has been resolved get the +1 boost, so it could be argued that it's first clause (prior to the 'Then' in the card text) has not been fully resolved.

I agree that the timing seems off, but my best guess would be to play the card as Ash describes above:

Step 1) Until the end of the phase, each location in the staging area gets +1 threat (including locations not yet revealed by the encounter deck but revealed subsequently)

Step 2) Immediately after applying Step 1, check threat, and each player with threat 35 or higher discards a card

Step 3) Because the lasting effect of Step 1 is still in effect, locations revealed after Step 2 is resolved still get the +1 threat boost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Sentence 2 is not an ongoing effect though, so it would only fire then and there (or not).

Even trying to think about how to word that effect as ongoing makes my brain tremble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Sentence 2 is not an ongoing effect though, so it would only fire then and there (or not).

Even trying to think about how to word that effect as ongoing makes my brain tremble.

That's why card text needs to be written accurately, precisely, and literally to avoid ambiguity and confusion.

If I were to read the Treacherous Fog literally, "Each location in the staging area gets +1 threat...", that "gets" is a single action verb performed when the card is written. Complete the placement of +1 Threat to the Locations, "then" perform the next action.

HOWEVER, according the official FAQ, we know that this first part is meant to be a lasting condition until the end of phase.

I would errata the card text as follows:

When Revealed:
* Each location in the staging area has an additional +1 threat until the end of the phase.
* Each player with a threat of 35 or higher chooses and discards 1 card from his hand.

The "has an additional +1 Threat..." text is necessary because otherwise it could be interpreted to mean that there can be +1 and only +1 Threat on the card. But it needs to take into account there could be other affects that also alters the Threat on the Locations in the Staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.