Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'd like to start a thread where people can post their results so other people can get a feel for how each side is faring in practice.

So, feel free to post the results of your games here. Please include final scores and the turn the game ended. A brief synopsis is welcome, too, but not mandatory.

Other games have threads like this and I think that it works pretty well. If it gets going I'll see if I can get one of the admins to pin it.

Cheers,

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, three face to face games. I have won all three. First a close win as the Carthaginians, but there were some significant rule errors in that game. A second close game with a Roman win. A third game which ended up as Roman blow out. (It appears to me if the Roman player can manage to dominate the sea that's really bad for for Carthage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
15 F2F games thus far with a pretty even spread of winning side. So far we are still learning the various strategies so I would not conclude too much from this data.

Love the game!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just 2 FTF games so far:

--First game saw Rome aggressively move in Sicily while also encroaching on Corsica/Sardinia. Carthage started to fill their deck with many new cards, but didn't realize they had bloated the deck (oops). Rome then went for development, thinning their deck in the process, and won an easy automatic victory after Turn 8.

--Second game saw Carthage building her fleet for some Pillaging. Carthage also completely dominated Corsica/Sardinia, but was on the defensive in Sicily (which Rome controlled). Rome tried to challenge Carthage at sea, lost most of their ships, then rebuilt their fleet again. Contest went the distance (12 turns) with Carthage prevailing by a single VP!

Both sessions saw a few minor rules errors being made, lessons learned.

HitS really captures my imagination, and I can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Järvinen
Finland
West-Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Three games

Game 1: Carthage - Rome, Carthage won by automatic victory, 25 VP lead (Turn 8)
Game 2: Carthage - Rome 48-48, Carthage won (Turn 8)
Game 3: Carthage - Rome 80-88, Rome won (Turn 11)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Drueding
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Game to Turn 12 all the way to End, very tight Rome won ~100 vs ~80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Four attempts but only two completed. I'm finding, at least initially, that the game time is longer than two hours. I'm sure that will change when our familiarity with the cards, rules, and victory conditions increase.

One game ended with a Carthage victory through the +25vp condition.

One game ended when peace broke out on turn 11. Roman victory 88-82.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Anslow
United Kingdom
Warminster
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman victory: Turn 8(ish) 25 VP margin

Good start by Carthage, then a run of poor events and a Roman victory at sea led to Sard/Corsica being out of Supply and Rome stacking up the VPs. Good stuff!

Roger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Torni
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A couple of games not played to the end just to learn the mechanics and basic strategy.

Three full games all Carthage wins.

First game ended at 11 turns when Rome triggered end of game by 8 prestige.
Well actually Rome was behind on points and was trying to pillage and raid itself to victory, but Carthage attacked a fortified Roman town and immediately withdrew to lose the battle just to trigger the end game. Did we play this by the rules?

In the second game Rome was dominant on land and sea (thanks to corvus), but after a naval disaster Carthage raided itself to victory while developing towns behind the front lines for points.

Most recent game was a close call. It ended on turn 10 after Carthage developed their last city. Carthage won by 2 points and on the next round Rome would have had a superior army to conquer Panormus, but time ran out.

This is such a great game that has a different feel on every time we played so far. So much of the fun comes from trying out different strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorbo2000 wrote:

Well actually Rome was behind on points and was trying to pillage and raid itself to victory, but Carthage attacked a fortified Roman town and immediately withdrew to lose the battle just to trigger the end game. Did we play this by the rules?

Hah, cheap!

I consider this a minor hole, good job smoking that out. I'm going to amend the withdraw action to state that you can't withdraw from a siege the same round that you began the siege.

It might not be much in the overall scheme of things but that will at least give the other player one round to pull out a miracle. Plus, it just feels more realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Torni
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At first it felt like a cheap trick, but we thought it was Pyrrhic victory for the Romans and had it's equivalent in antiquity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my first PBEM game with Matt Phillips. I was Carthage and pulled off a 62-44 victory. I wouldn't chalk that up to a Carthaginian advantage. He is new to the game and I learned from Dan himself.

I ended the game on turn 7 by using up all of my developments.

We used 79 Vassal logs to complete the game. The automated module worked perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean and I finished up our online game the day I left for BGG Con, so I am posting this late. (I would pack a few games. My phone would "ding." I would run up and make my play and send it off. Go back and pack a few more games. Ding. Make play...)

This was Sean's first face-to-face game. I was Rome, simply because I was Carthage in my other online game and I had to keep my plans straight. I gave him a few pointers about Carthaginian strategy and we were off.

I settled Tyndaris, Olbia, and Syracuse quickly. He settled Agrigentum, Heraclea, and Oristano.

He then fortified Agrigentum and I moved into Thermae, Camarina, and Aleria while he settled Nuaro. He started drafting military cards. I tried drafting the Trade strategy card, but got hit with a random event that made me lose it before I could use it well.

He moved his fleet into position off the coast of Corsica/Sardinia and then attacked Olbia and conquered it quickly.

I fortified Camarina and Thermae, creating a wall of protection from raids. He pulled a good sneak attack and hit Tyndaris by sea, behind my lines. However, when it was apparent he would win, I moved my fleet into position to cut off his supply. I back-filled that hole later on.

He won 3 naval battles against me and was well ahead on prestige -- enough to make up for my advantage on Sicily. The game was going to be close.

That was when he made a mistake: with his ship parked off the coast of Sardinia, he attacked my fortified position at Aleria. That was not bad unto itself, but he had to commit a lot of double-sword cards. I did a massive discard to get my cards in place and the second the battle was over, I launched a counter-punch naval raid on Lilybaeum with a siege engine, dictator, and a pile of legions. I took that and knocked his settlements out of supply.

(The counter-punch is a dirty trick I learned from Dan).

He moved his fleet back in to get it into supply. I needed 2 developments to end the game. I developed Lilybaeum with the Thurii colonist and then used the tribune to pull Thurii back into my hand and develop it.

Getting Panormus and Lilybaeum swung 5 game ending VPs my way and I pulled away at the end, turning a 2 point VP lead into a 70-53 victory.

Sean played a heckuva game. For his first time out, he showed a lot of good aggression that I think Carthage needs. That one ill-advised attack on Aleria ended up tilting the end game.

Edit: I forgot to add, poor Sean rolled 3 times for the elephants: 1, 1, and 3 (with a -1 modifier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Justin (houjix) at BGG Con.

Justin is an experienced player of A Few Acres of Snow and had read the rules. Being his first game, I suggested he take Carthage. I explained a few strategic ideas he should consider and a couple of pointers, such as Carthage's opening move and how to reduce the threat from a bribe. He's a quick study and he opened with a 3 victory point lead, as he churned his initial deck before I could conquer Syracuse.

That lead remained turn after turn. I was content to remain in striking distance and I built a line of fortified settlements from Syracuse to Thermae and settled everything north and east of that line, while he settled everything south and west. I prepared for my march to Lilybaeum.

However, I did not get the fortification on my Olbia outpost in time and when an untimely storm at sea came up and destroyed half of my fleet, he took advantage of the situation to cut control of my supply to Corsica and Sardinia and then quickly conquered Olbia. The ship building strategy card did not show up, so I built my fleet the old fashioned way and I drafted the Corvus strategy card and prepared to crush his pesky fleet, cut supply of the islands to him, and push back.

I engaged his fleet in battle, but I must have failed to please the dice gods and their chickens, because I failed to win the naval battle, and got my fleet driven back.

Justin is amused at the incompetence of my Roman fleet.

After a follow-up naval victory, he moved in and conquered Aleria and quickly developed it to end the game. We split Sicily, but he controlled the remaining islands and held the advantage in prestige, conquered settlements, and overall developments (thanks to an untimely rebellion event at Thurii). He won 64-48.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Wendell (wifWendell) at BGGCon.

I have played this game more than anybody else on earth except the designer. This was Wendell's first deckbuilder, so yeah, this was a teaching game, which I was all too happy to do for this game.

The opening was pretty typical in terms of who settled where. Unlike my last game, I fortified Olbia first, figuring I risked getting out of supply there first and the fort may buy me time to get my fleet there to reinforce.

This game was marked by heaping amounts of money on both sides. I actually performed an emergency levy of a legion in combat (12 silver!) He launched attacks on Olbia and Tyndaris that I repulsed. I successfully attacked Thermae and raided Oristano. I tried a bold naval invasion on Lilybaeum, but got turned back. He beat me in a naval battle.

The Peace card showed up on Turn 9 and he successfully rolled it. We added up the points and I won 68-48.

Fun game as always, but even more fun to meet the legendary Wendell, who may actually look less like his avatar than I look like mine. He's even more cool in person than on the forum, which says a lot.

(If you are wondering what is up with the fleet markers, those are from Conquest of the Empire. I use them to pimp out this game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played seven games so far. In all cases, I was Carthage. I've gone 6-1, but we're all still climbing the learning curve. Now that I've seen this thread, I'll try to remember more details about these.

The most recent play was last night. Carthage won on turn 7. It played its last city to end the game.

A fair amount of naval conflict, but only one land battle, when Rome took a fortified Agrigentum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two games so far, both learning games really. Even split between Rome and Carthage but the two games were very different, Rome pillaging its way via ship building to a 25pt autowin and Carthage steaming its way via rapid expansion to a 90pt autowin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
4 games. All won by Carthage. Only one was close ish.

We are finding a quick carthage expansion and then ignore everything but ending the game as fast as possible to win on VP is hard for rome to counter with its need to build up, especially if carthage expands rapid, then just fills her deck with cav as much as possible.. they can raid the romans to nothing easy enough while rome sits impotent unable to really respond as removing carthage cubes brings on game end while carthage is ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first real game. It took 3 hours, with Carthage winning 64-49. The game ended on Turn 9 by Carthage developing all of her cities - just before Rome was about to launch a key attack in Sicily.

Early on, Carthage had fortifications in Thermae and Agrigentum that shut down Rome's expansion pretty hard. Also, Rome's fleet was fully defeated by Turn 5 or 6, which meant that Carthage could settle Sardinia at its leisure and follow a fruitful Pillaging agenda.

Carthage also had access to an embarrassment of riches throughout the game. At one point, Carthage had 25+ gold and Rome had close to nothing. At no point in the game did Rome have more gold than Carthage. Not sure what happened there. Edit: Carthage had the six-card-hand strategy card, which certainly helped.

Some statistical craziness: As Rome, I was on the losing end of eight consecutive random events. I immediately lost my first-pick strategy card, my fortifications fell, my opponent received free money, etc. Oi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.