44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought the game and went ahead and purchased everything at once for the RotR set. Without opening the character pack, is this something I would have value from adding in right away? From a couple items in the rulebook, having characters die after the third adventure it says you can then rebuild including cards from the character pack. So, do you wait until after the third adventure to open this box and add the cards in? Or is it really just to add in support for more players and the cards are just duplicates of base set cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add 'em in straight away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
There are two different types of non-adventure packs: character/5-6 player expansion packs and class packs.

The character expansion provides different characters to play plus the necessary cards to play with 5 or 6 players (well, "necessary" may be a strong word, but it does contain the cards so you don't proxy henchmen and the like). These contain the starting cards for the extra players, some of which duplicate some of the base game cards and some of which are unique. Adding this deck right in doesn't change too much, though you will have more "basic" cards to burn through.

The class packs on the other hand are those that have a theme of a class and add in a few new variations of that class. These are "Wizards" or "Clerics". These are targeted at organized play but they have interesting variants to play plus some unique cards, though many are duplicates of various base game cards (depending upon the class deck - there are three, soon to be four, base games with different cards). These are definitely not required and I would suggest caution just mixing everything in as it can radically throw off the composition of cards and just make managing the cards very unwieldy. Unfortunately, there are a lot of different views on how to handle this - too many to simply categorize. My best suggestion would be to play the game with or without that game's character expansion to figure out how everything works, and then decide how and if to manage the class decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "character expansion" described by Joe Price is called the Character Add-On Deck. Its cards have a C in the upper right corner (instead of B for base set or a number for an adventure deck).

Like he said this is basically required if you play 5-6 characters so you have enough henchmen. It also adds 4 characters. Some of the cards in the deck are useful for those characters. (Also it has the sweetest B/C ranged weapon -- the +1 Deathbane Light Crossbow.)

The Basic cards in this deck can be used to build your starting characters, so there is no reason to wait till a later deck to add them.

Like Joe Price said, a "class pack" is a class deck (Wizard, Fighter, Gunslinger, etc). I've never added these to a base set because they really dilute the card pool, and don't contain that many unique boons. But if you were playing a Gunslinger (for example) outside Skull & Shackles, you'd want to add that class deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That answers it.

I am playing solo and really just picked it up to have additional replayability in the future with extra characters or in the off chance I get a large group together.

Played through the first scenario of the base game adventure last night and enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think designers have said that if you have the character add on deck (5-6 players) throw it in no matter how many players you are playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Vicars
msg tools
zayzayem wrote:
I think designers have said that if you have the character add on deck (5-6 players) throw it in no matter how many players you are playing with.

Last paragraph on page 2 of the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.