Popular Tags: 'cause_we_don't_gripe_enough [+] [View All]
Keith Medlin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RULES FOR RESPONSES:

:1: Price, Ownership & Availability are not eligible responses.
:2: Your time available to play the game is not an eligible response.
:3: Please stick with the game itself (avoid mean spirited grumbling about the designer...)
:4: Don't get all offended when someone cites something you love about your favorite series as it's worst aspect for them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong ... I rate Combat Commander series a 10. However,

The worst things are: 1) absolutely no command-and-control rules in the game to keep formations together in a realistic manner; and 2) ability to break the clear intent of the hand discard limit rule by discarding more than your hand limit by simple back and forth sleaze moves with movement cards.

But I don't care. A plus, plus, plus, plus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

The cost in supply for using artillery in OCS. Only thing that I'm not particularly keen on. Massive fan of the series although BCS is at least as good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
No command and control,final turn suicide dashes, and some rules that may be needlessly baroque all come to mind for ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that the static map dimensions of the scenarios (obviously driven by the single mapboard for the game) for Commands & Colors: Ancients really hurts the potential for variety / depicting different battles throughout history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR) release schedule from Clash of Arms isn't nearly as quick as I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:

What about my opponents' lack of time to play the game?

I've got the time, but it's annoyingly tough to get my several Combat Commander-loving friends to actually play it...

---

Is it valid to complain that the ugly side nubs on the counters in my edition of Combat Commander: Europe are the worst thing about it?

---

More serious answer: maybe the handling of smoke in CC is the worst thing about it. There are such extremely widely random possible values of smoke density (interestingly they have fixed values in Chad Jensen's later game Fighting Formations), and a single breeze event can make all smoke, no matter how dense, suddenly disappear from the entire battlefield.

(Can you tell I don't have very serious complaints about CC?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
gamesontables wrote:

What about my opponents' lack of time to play the game?

I've got the time, but it's annoyingly tough to get my several Combat Commander-loving friends to actually play it...

---

Is it valid to complain that the ugly side nubs on the counters in my edition of Combat Commander: Europe are the worst thing about it?

---

More serious answer: maybe the handling of smoke in CC is the worst thing about it. There are such extremely widely random possible values of smoke density (interestingly they have fixed values in Chad Jensen's later game Fighting Formations), and a single breeze event can make all smoke, no matter how dense, suddenly disappear from the entire battlefield.

(Can you tell I don't have very serious complaints about CC?)

I have time to play, but you keep refusing to drive over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The multiple rules versions for the La Bataille series and despite the various versions it's still hard to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I have time to play, but you keep refusing to drive over.

No, no; as far as I remember, it's your turn to visit me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, for World in Flames, I don't like the conquest rules for Germany and Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
This is actually pretty common: a great deal of detail in subsystems
leading to unbelievable results.

I'll apply it to La Grande Guerre 14-18, but really, it applies to
nearly everything I like a lot. In LGG's case, it might just be
that the manpower rates are simply too low to recoup losses though.

Oh yeah, and the naval rules are far too cumbersome as well as
leading to ahistorical usage by Germany - even with the governors
which are in place for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3045476.jpg
Desert Fox Deluxe

I think the game needs more examples of play. There are a couple of really new ideas in this game, I like them a lot, but they would be easier to "get" with examples, I think.

I have said elsewhere that I normally do not subscribe to the "newest is best" idea. But this has quickly become my favorite game in fifty years of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

One of the best things is also one of the worst things about this series, the randomness of activation/movement. While it's quite fitting that any general can have a good day/campaign, it's also quite frustrating that every time I command Early he uncharacteristically catches a card of the slows.

About the only other thing I don't like about the series is that it's almost entirely ignored the Western campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Here I Stand/Virgin Queen

The randomness of the deal can sometimes be very unforgiving, particularly for certain powers. Some powers really feed on CPs (as opposed to events) and a hand with a lot of low CP values can really hamstring them. There is a lot that good diplomacy can mitigate, but it's nowhere near ideal: for example, no one can play CPs on someone else's behalf.

In terms of game balance, I actually think it all evens out — a bad hand puts them back into the pack — but for certain powers, that 'bad turn' can be far less fun to play out than for other powers. I'm thinking primarily of the Ottomans here. If they never have a bad hand, they are at an advantage, in terms of balance. But on that turn that they inevitably do get a bad hand, it's a relatively more miserable experience than other powers' bad hands.

That is, some bad hands are living realities that can be played out to less-than-optimal satisfaction. For other powers in other turns, bad hands can lead to dead turns where you aren't doing much in either Diplomacy or Action Phases. And since the main reason I love these games is their melding of negotiation and strategy, anything that undermines both is at least a small strike.

I've seen a couple attempts at crafting a mulligan rule, but none have been entirely satisfactory. My experience is that bad hands are built into the game's balance, for better or worse.

One mulligan rule I've contemplated is a partial one: if your entire hand is 2CP or less, you can trade in 2 cards at a 1VP cost. If only one card is 3CP, you can trade in 1 card at a 1VP cost. Even that is 'meh' for me, but if it makes the game more enjoyable for everyone playing, I'm willing to consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Paths of Glory to death, but:

-The way armies have to be rebuilt and literally walked back to the front from supply sources doesn't really make any sense.

-Trent's military importance is completely kooky. More generally, Italy's severe weakness out the gate warps the game by encouraging the Central Powers to set up a vicious knock-out attack the second they enter the war.

-While there's some "design for effect" justification for the insane supply rules, what's less justifiable is that the turn order makes supply far more favorable to the Allies. Barbarossa to Berlin fixed this by having supply checked after each power's final AR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of favorites, so I'll list three of them & the thing I like worst about them:

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles (the whole series):
1. The lack of historical modules
2. The drawings on the maps and counters: I wish they were less cartoonish.

Ardennes '44 (the whole Simonitch series of operational games)
The maps are too flimsy. The map for Ardennes '44 has begun to tear at the interior corners, and I hate that. The maps for Ukraine '43 are more robust -- couldn't you re-issue maps of similar strength for Ardennes '44 and Normandy '44?

Last Blitzkrieg (the BCS series):
1. The lack of set up cards! Plus other player-aid cards. Come on, guys: I'm sure you can do better than that! Take a page from the Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944 play-book. Or, for that matter, any of the GMT games.
2. One day turns. (a) The difference between the time and the distance scales, with the high movement numbers, really does seem to be out of proportion. (b) I really don't like campaign games with a small number of turns. This same problem, by the way, exists with the otherwise excellent Bastogne: Screaming Eagles Under Siege. Can't you have two, or four, turns per day? For the Battle of the Bulge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Operational Combat Series does not take weather into account in Guderian's Blitzkrieg II.

Liberty Roads does not have hidden information regarding combat units.

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! air and naval power influence on combat is too deterministic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
The absolutely worst thing is...LOVE!

Love for the game system/series. Love because I never seem to get enough time to play. Love because I can't get enough of play, even with a wide variety of opponents.

Love because it borders on an obsession. I will play other game titles/series, but I always come back to this.

It's just how it is. It is what it is.

And I reget nothing. Nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles (the whole series):
2. The drawings on the maps and counters: I wish they were less cartoonish.

+1

I remember seeing the counter art early in the process and commenting that I hoped that they weren't going with that artwork. Apparently it was.

I have heard good things about the game and I had it at one point, but I could never warm up to the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Combat system

- gamey tactic of reducing the size of your army to limit losses

- (less problematic) ability to create large battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The east front in Paths of Glory. Both sides are incentivized not to form continuous lines, but rather brick stacks of three armies that dance around each other in an attempt to cut supply. The Players Guide's historical setups for '16 '17 and '18 in the eastern front would never be the result of two competent players actually playing a game through.

A fantastic design nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
The absolutely worst thing is...LOVE!

Love for the game system/series. Love because I never seem to get enough time to play. Love because I can't get enough of play, even with a wide variety of opponents.

Love because it borders on an obsession. I will play other game titles/series, but I always come back to this.

It's just how it is. It is what it is.

And I reget nothing. Nothing.

Care to reveal what it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game is Hands in the Sea.

My least favorite thing about it is the Vassal module. Seriously! It sucks. What kind of hack made that thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Virgin Queen: I wish the average game lasted more turns. Compared to Here I Stand it's over much too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.