$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.7% of Goal | left

Support:

ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family, friends, coworkers, and acquaintances?

For me...
Family
Not at all. I might introduce the nephew and niece to modern board games, but otherwise, it doesn't help I'm now thousands of miles away from them. I don't think my parents ever played ANY board games (except for my father teaching me Chinese Chess), and even then, the language barrier would probably be a pain in the neck to overcome.

Friends
About half and half. Few of these guys I talk with outside of gaming.

coworkers
I've had a coworker host game nights, but otherwise, that's it. And to be frank, I'd rather not they play board games where I'm at. For me, bg is also a place to get away from work (physically and mentally), which no offense, is also a break from them (nothing unpleasant during work... not unlike how sometimes, we just need a break). That said, if I ever run into them at a gaming event, I won't leave. Assuming I had control of the game event, I wouldn't ban them either. However, I won't actively seek them out nor invite them to game nights.

acquaintances
Ditto with the Friends category, also half and half. These people I only ever have contact with when I'm gaming. Nothing else.

Poll: For you, how connected is boardgaming with the following groups....
Original post for poll here.....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23925391#23925391
1. Family
Very close
Close
Somewhat close
only a little bit
not at all
2. Friends
Very close
Close
Somewhat close
only a little bit
not at all
3. Coworkers
Very close
Close
Somewhat close
only a little bit
not at all
4. acquaintances
Very close
Close
Somewhat close
only a little bit
not at all
      33 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: For you, how removed or connected is boardgaming from....
Family - My immediate family is full of gamers. My wife and I connected a large part because of gaming. (Specifically DND) My oldest sun has a lot of games he likes. My youngest wants to play every game in the world all the time. Unfortunately he needs to learn how to read to get a lot of things first. Hopefully he'll have the same enthusiasm once he does.

Friends - I would say over 90% of my friends that I spent a decent amount of time with are gamers. Many of them I made through gaming. Quite a few through Magic tournaments.

Coworkers - I work at a school. In that past we had lunch time gaming sessions, but sadly this year my schedule doesn't allow it. We have still tried to get a game in after work about once a month. The people I am closest to at work are the friends that come over for game nights once and awhile. They too have their own game nights I try to attend.

Acquaintances - I guess I probably have 100's of acquaintances from all types of areas of my life. Gaming makes up large part of that but I don't know how to qualify it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my family are gamers, maybe not in as deep as I am but deep enough to where they can pick out decent games.

friends
I think I've done a good job finding the right games for each of my friends well enough that they consider board gaming fun enough to not need a better choice. So if my friends don't overlap with gaming its just a matter of time.

coworkers
....yeahhhhh sooooo I work in a different ecosystem then I would have imagined......not much hope for a quick lunch game session. People at work think I quiet....

acquaintances
low as they have yet proven their worth to be the time to game with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of my family were/are gamer's in any way shape or form and never were. But all of my friends are gamer's and that's how I met them through gaming. In addition many of my coworkers are or have been gamer's so many became good friends because of it. Those people who are good acquaintances as opposed to casual are people from gaming groups, or tournaments or conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Family
Almost 100% of all my gaming, ever since I was a kid. My parents played at least one game every single day and holidays were a time for out-of-town family to join in on a multi-day game marathon. Those events happen less frequently now but are still common any time two or more in the family get together. Otherwise, gaming is with the whole family or (usually) just the two adults.

Friends
Most friends are good sports, but socializing gets in the way of gaming with all but one set of friends. Otherwise they're good for maybe one game during a get-together but what would normally take 20 minutes gets stretched over three hours.

Coworkers
I have one crossover friend/coworker and a few years ago we used to be able to sneak off to a room every few weeks and play games for an hour. There are actually a handful of board game players in my immediate coworker pool but I have different gaming tastes and don't want to participate in their game nights or discussions because they prefer social games with a traitor and that's one kind of game I don't like at all. Usually once or twice a year we'll all play a game or two in the office but it always feels a little awkward.

Acquaintances
Like people I bump into periodically at the game store? I hate playing games with strangers. Gaming is personal for me and I don't want to hear some rando struggle through basic rule questions. I'm much more tolerant of that if you share some of my genes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my family are gamers in some way. My wife, my daugthter, a cousin, her husband and their teenage son ARE my regular gaming group. My brothers also play a bit of everything and have collections of their own (one does CCGs, the other boardgames). My father also plays often, but mostly with my brothers because they still live with him. We even got my sister-in-law into gaming when she came to visit last year, and she joined a local boardgaming club when she went back to Spain. The rest of the extended family knows we are the "boardgame people" and like the party games we take to family gatherings, but they don't play anything more complex.

A few of my friends and acquanitances also play boardgames, as I've met a good few of them on boardgame nights a our FLGS. The other half doesn't do the cardboard stuff, but they share some of my other geeky interests (videogames, comics and books, etc) so they understand the appeal, and they are at least aware or have tried a few board and card games in their digital versions or because they are well known in other niches (stuff like Catan, Carcassonne, Magic, Pokemon, Yugi Oh, Ticket to Ride, Exploding Kittens). I don't tend to keep much contact with people that don't share at least a few interests, as I never hang out with someone for long just out of courtesy.

Only a few of my co-workers know that there are other boardgames besides Monopoly (although traditional card games, games with poker dice, dominoes and parcheesi are common family pasttimes or drinking activities in our culture, almost everybody knows how to play them). A couple of coworkers got interested after they saw the boxes I was taking to a game night, and we have played a few times at work and they have even gone with me to play at the FLGS a few times, but the others don't seem interested at all or can't find the time, as most healthcare professionals over here seem to have a lot of stress and very little free time (or at least they have convinced themselves it has to be that way to appear successful, I think otherwise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Family
Most of my family love playing the games I bring. Especially my sisters and their spouses. My Dad and all my aunts loved card games. My Mom like some of the classics like Pinocle and Bridge, but not a whole lot of the contemporary stuff.

My son is becoming a fan. Yesterday we played Gemblo, ZÈRTZ and Cronberg...he loves it!

Shoot, several of my Nephews came to BGG.CON last year...they are all in the Koolaide.

Friends
Most of my friends are gamers.

coworkers
I have a weekly lunchtime games at my work, we get about 8-12 people every week. They play everything from 7 wonders, to Cosmic Encounter, and everything in between that will play in about an hour, hour and a half.(I work in software, gaming goes hand in hand, apparently)

acquaintances
My acquaintances are a mixed bag. Either I know them from work, or from my Kid's school. But I have met several full on gamers going to school functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Family: My wife is my gaming partner 90% of the time. Her family live across the country, but we've been successful in evangelizing her kids and their children into boardgames (mainly by sending them games - grandmom's presents are cool!). My family is the exact opposite: they are aggressively indifferent to boardgames. We've tried to share our hobby with them, but in the end they just don't understand, and at best they have a condescending attitude about my "cute little hobby".

Friends: we have one set of friends who game with us. The rest of our friends seem to think that board gaming is a fine past-time for children and strange people like us, but they have no interest themselves.

Acquaintances: only the ones who are acquaintances through an interest in boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family - I play some games with my kids occasionally.

Friends - When I moved to where I live now most of the people I met were through board gaming. Most of the people I game with, I'd consider friends.

Coworkers - My nearest co-worker is 1,200 miles away. But even when they weren't I tried to interact with them as little as possible. Most of my coworkers are 20 or so years older than I am, and on the opposite ends of the conservative/liberal spectrum than I am.

Acquaintances - There are a few people I game with at public gaming events that I'd consider acquaintances. Most acquaintances I bump into outside of gaming wouldn't know me well enough to know I play board games. (I have no desire to convert random strangers to gaming.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family: loosely connected - My kids play games with me from time to time, my parents will play the occasional game of cards or dominoes, and my brother plays board games/RPGs on the rare occasion he has spare time but most of my family/in-laws are not much for games. My wife will only show interest once in a blue moon and even then, only if it's a short, simple game (more than 60-90 minutes is pushing it for her).

Friends: highly connected - Most, if not all, of my close friends I either met through gaming or met through mutual friends who were gamers. I think that says a lot about the value of games to me, which is that they are an ideal medium for bonding and social interaction. When we are together, we're often either playing games directly, or discussing games indirectly.

Coworkers: no connection - I don't know that I've worked with anyone in the last several years that had any concept of board games beyond Monopoly and Scrabble. I would get the occasional probe of curiosity from a coworker when I mention board games but that's about the extent of it.

Acquaintances: very loose connection - There are a small handful of "gaming acquaintances" that I gather with at the occasional local event. On the everyday beat, it's probably less than 1 acquaintance a month that I strike up any gaming related conversation with.

So, most of my gaming and game-related socializing happens with friends or, occasionally, with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family - Immediate, about a third. My daughter will game whenever I ask, my wife is on an off, my son generally does not care for it unless it's a game with combat.

Friends - most of my friends came about from board gaming. I have another good friend who doesn't even know I have this hobby.

Coworkers - Zero. Tried to get one guy to come, but he balked when I mentioned some of the games we would be playing. Lesson learned.

Acquaintances - Similar to OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family: My first "serious" gaming group was my Dad and my two sons. We'd try to play once a month, but that has relaxed a great deal as I have a main group that I play with about once a week. My youngest son still plays with me about once a month with a varying group of people.

Friends: My current gaming group used to be acquaintances, then just became my friends.

Co-workers: Current co-workers are mechanics and heavy equipment guys. If I said board game to them, they would look at me like I asked them for a hug. Interestingly enough, I have just started playing with come ex co-workers, and we are having a ball.

Acquaintances: I am starting up a T.I.M.E. Stories campaign. It's made up of some people who have wandered into my main game group's sessions as subs a time or two. Hoping they will just fall into the friends category soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My immediate family are all almost as hardcore as me.

Friends - I don't know I don't really hang out with them often.

Co-workers - when I leave work I forget about work.

Acquaintances - what are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb

Family
Connected. My wife and three children play board games with me mostly during the long school vacations.

Friends
Friends?
I have two local BGG buddies I occasionally play games with.

Coworkers
Very removed, but I wish I had someone with whom to play lunchtime games.

Acquaintances
Casually connected and those acquaintances would be neighbors and fathers of former students whom over the years I've had over for Heroscape game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
My immediate family are all almost as hardcore as me.

Friends - I don't know I don't really hang out with them often.

Co-workers - when I leave work I forget about work.

Acquaintances - what are those?

Definitions vary, but to me, an acquaintance is somebody you've met before. You may know their name, where you run into them, some of their hobbies and interest (I know many of the games folks like to play and avoid amongst these in my gaming groups), but you're really only there to do that. You can ask stuff like what houses to buy, or where to get a good washing machine.

Friends... you get to know them on a deeper level. You're more likely to talk with them outside gaming. You can ask them more personal or intimate questions like dating, relationships, or stuff that would be taboo with acquaintances. Also here, you'd take a much higher concern for this group (if something happens to them, if they need favors, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family
My two daughters & my wife's adult children play board games a lot. My own family; my sister is just now getting into board gaming, she recently bought Pandemic but my other siblings don't play.

Friends
Most of my friends ARE board gamers

Co-workers
eh, a close colleague of mine plays Pandemic (only) another is all about Exploding Kittens or games like that.

Acquaintances
A lot of of them are board gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Close family and I play all the time. A bit more distant it varies quite a bit.

Friends: Most of them have joined me in the glory of board gaming.

Coworkers: I generelly seperate work and gaming unless I know someone is already a board gamer.

Aquitances: Well If I've met them at board game events - then it's all about board games, otherwise it's not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Family:
Two cousins of mine play games, so I play some with them, whenever we get together.

Friends:
I sometimes get together with friends to play games, either at someone`s home, or at a gathering.

Acquaintances:
I meet a lot of new (and `old`) people at gatherings to play games with. Some I have never played with before, the new ones. Others I meet solely at the gatherings, and play with, the old ones. Some of the acquaintances have later become friends. That is nice!!

Co-workers:
I would love to get my collegues in touch with my gaming hobby. I tried having a game night in Spring, only two came, but many more wanted to. I will try again next Spring, as Autumn and Winter goes by so fast!! I have also started thinking if I should take with me some quick filler games for break time, only we don`t all have breaks at the same time, so someone might have to leave mid game.. I have some good filler games that wouldn`t suffer with one gamer leaving, and many people can participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family:
I was raised on BGs. My sister, my step sister & husband, my two nieces, and my dad all play.

Friends:
All my friends are gamers, even if just minimally.

Acquaintances:
Not unless I met them at an event or meetup.

Co-workers:
I'm in IT so we have a bit of gaming chit chat around the office. Don't go out of my way to game with any of them though. I like to keep work and pleasure separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.