Subject: Dokmus challenge: a session per day during the premiere in Essen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
To avoid admitting we envy Essen attendees who will have a chance to play Dokmus at Lautapelit's stand 3-L116, we take up a challenge to play one Dokmus game per day this week and share the journal of this expedition with you.

Participants: Jouni and Maja

Monday

Jouni wins 48 to 41.
Favourite action this time was pushing an explorer to jungle - selected in all but one round.
My tribe was very efficient with only 10 guys watching 9 temples, while Jouni kept blocking temples with 2 guys per temple.
Jouni lost some guys in the forest and violent white waters. My tribe sacrificed three brave ones in volcanoes and two more in lacustrine sediments... Will they get fossilized?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb

Tuesday

We choose to lead different tribes and my avatar-blues win 51:42. Jouni's yellow tribe was very attracted to five golden temples and he kept blocking me all the time. My strategy was to spread quickly across the boards and gain access to nine small temples with as few guys as possible. This time, no one was hurt in volcanic eruptions. Instead, my tribe went exploring ruins in five different spots to discover ancient runes that let you move the Earth...

Look how Jouni is preparing to block the blues

It got a bit crowded here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday

To honour the friendly community of Brazilians in Pori, Finland, today we played yellow vs. green.
Jouni, playing the sunny yellow, has mixed feelings about this whole challenge, having miscalculated his chances of epic victory by two lousy points. 50 to 48 for greens

Just as you would expect from Amazona, our boards were quite full of forest squares, which Jouni persistently explored, using as many as eleven guys in the jungle (I was told it's due to Finnish hunting tradition). I stayed on the grasslands and wetlands, grazing with capybaras.

Yellows everywhere

Jouni discovered an impressive number of small and large temples, 10 and 3 respectively. My tribe was less devoted and more hungry to explore. As you can expect, some guys sacrificed their existence bringing me three points of glory. A group of four archaeologists managed to discover ruins, revealing secrets of teleportation. The skill was useful and helped them revolve a mountain.

Greens will also brag about the guy that discovered a temple from across a board for two points. Perhaps these were the two winning ones ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday

Today it was Finland vs. Poland, blues vs. red, we just skipped the white, and Finns win 50:46.
I will tell you why. It's due to the lakes. Almost 11% of the area on our map was water - just like Finland! Jouni knew how to sail across the board quickly to get the best of it. His winning strategy was to discover all temples on two boards. He almost got the third one but not quite...I blocked him whistle Plus he gained three extra points of advantage by letting his last guy slip into a crater.

Forests were the least popular destination when we compare this game to the three previous ones; in the end of the game, only 10 guys in total were mushroom hunting. Once again ruins were sought after. Jouni got two and I got three. However, when you look at the final situation, you will spot three ruins unclaimed. I tried to get more but somehow, there was a better move each time.

It was a very tense competition and we fought till the end. Hope you had as much fun playing it in Essen today!

We were quite aligned today. Have a look here

Our wetboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday

What a game it was! The boards were crowded with mountains and volcanoes but not with lakes. Blue Jouni again beat my green guys in an memorable battle 48 to 34! Crashing victory.

Since it was rather difficult to spread effectively in such impassable terrain, Jouni decided to concentrate on three boards. He did very well, discovering all temples on two of the boards and blocking me from them. He sent only nine guys to the jungle (compare with my team of 13 lumberjacks) but sacrificed one more than I did, earning three points.He won 28 points from temples and one from the ruins all surrounded by smoking volcanoes.

I started quite well but then faced the cordilleras far too often than required. I managed to get three ruins, one of which became totally isolated.

Jouni blocked me so well that I did not manage to discover all temples on one board. Shame, because that earned 10 points for Jouni! A rather large advantage.

In any case, it was not that easy to guess who is winning because the boards were rotated frequently. We used our scoring cubes as the first pieces in the game to track how far they would move. Apparently, not very far, just one board position forward and one rotation away. Interesting to notice.

Great and tense game it was with plenty of laughter and heated emotions. We are looking forward to our next one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday

Blue vs. red again and this time the result is 56:44 for my red tribe arrrh How did it happen? Seems that Jouni placed too many guys in the forest (15 out of 25) and they got very interested in collecting berries, while my energetic tribe ran for the meadows and small temples, discovering 9 of them (vs. 5 discovered by the blue tribe).

We managed to get all temples on two boards - one of them is shown above.

We were even on the ruin score (2 VP) and number of boards where we discovered all temples (2 boards yielding 10 VP). Jouni discovered one more large temple but he did not score for the sacrificed guys (he lost 2 vs. my 6 guys).

My last move was to rotate the board, so that I get to discover a temple on another board. Yes!

Jouni had preference for guardian card no. 3, which lets you move one pawn onto an adjacent space. I preferred swirl- and continental drift-guardians instead. The game was rather full of surprising turns of action and we did not know who would win.

We are looking forward to our 7th session tomorrow. Currently we have a tie, 3:3.

7 GG offered for the first person who posts the correct winner's name below, before I publish Sunday's results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday

Our 7-day Dokmus challenge is finished. Sadly, no one claimed the GG prize. I will make sure it will get good use.
Thank you
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for your generous donations, too!

Today we played blue vs. yellow... and the winner is yellow, scoring 45:42. As you can see, the difference is just three points. It was a very close game and once again, we were having fun, laughing at our attempts to colonise the island.

We got an equal amount of points in three categories: ruins (2 VP), big temples (6 VP) as well as boards where all temples were discovered (10 VP). The blues managed to discover 9 small temples, earning 18 VP, vs. 14 VP scored by the yellow tribe. Yellow guys spread better and discovered temples on four boards (10 VP vs. 6 VP for three boards by blue guys). The final three points for yellow are from the pile of sacrificed guys (5 vs. 3 lost by the blue tribe).

The blues build almost a chain on the board and tended to use guardian #3 card whenever possible. Being able to move a token does give something like an extra pawn, so it is a great ability. Yellow tribe left a lot of guys in the jungle - 14 can be counted on the final board. At the same time, they managed to spread on four boards quite well.

The deciding moment, however, probably happened in the earlier stages of the game.

In the above picture you can see the big yellow temple that has two available positions from which it can be discovered. The fact is that blues managed to block both of them in the beginning of the game. Then, they moved one guy using the guardian #3 card. The opportunity was just too good not to be exploited by yellow tribe for whom the nice temple was the last one remaining undiscovered on this board. Yellows had to get it and it was worth 3 VP for the temple plus 5 VP for all temples on this board. A great move indeed.

So who is the winner? Jouni got a silver medal this time. But he had a slight headache, so that explains a lot. We will need to repeat the finals whistle

This game is trickier than it looks, says Jouni. It is tricky to play it well but it does bring a good amount of fun every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markku Laine
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi

I'm sorry that you couldn't come to Essen. It would have been lovely to see you there.

It was Crazy&Fun 4 days. We got loads of positive feedback! Mikko probably got tennis elbow for signing games

Thank you to everybody who visited us in Lautapelit.fi booth or were playing Dokmus at home

Maybe we see in Spiel 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.