Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want this game but.....

I'm wary of dropping £55 on this only to find one of the major mechanics in the game doesn't work properly.

I'm talking about the flipping over of the cars to show which cars have been activated.

I've read other threads that say the two different sides do not look different enough (and not as different as the designer intended).

I wanted to ask those of you who have this game: how much of a difficulty is there for you in telling which cars are activated and to what extent does it impact on gameplay and your enjoyment of this game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play in poor lighting it might be an issue. I didn't experience any problems when I played although we did all agree that it would be better with more contrast.

I don't know what they were thinking when they made that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in a different thread suggested that if you find it difficult to see a difference between the active and inactive side of a car, you can just turn each activated car backwards.

Seems to be a quick and effective solution to an unfortunate design choice that was made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a little hard (my basement doesn't have the best lighting) but not too bad. I went ahead and drew a thin black line on the grey side of each car, at the back of the non-player cars and on the side of the player cars, to make it easier to see. But it's not a requirement; you can tell if you stop and look. It's just not as obvious as in Thunder Alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Way over-analyzed guys. If you have a problem telling the sides apart, simply put a small neat black dot in the corner of one side. Fixed.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read about this too before receiving the game, but I'm relieved to find it isn't an issue for me. The counters are clearly distinguishable, especially when next to others.

Apart from the colour difference, the counters have a rounded-edge side and a flat-edge side which is quite noticeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find any problem with distinguishing the different sides of the cars.
I enjoyed the game which is very similar to Thunder Alley and I will play it again but it doesn't give the feel of F1. I think if you want to scratch that itch look to playing Race! Formula 90
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Way over-analyzed guys. If you have a problem telling the sides apart, simply put a small neat black dot in the corner of one side. Fixed.

Totally agree with this. As the saying goes 'Making mountains out of mole hills'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgwestrip wrote:
Teamski wrote:

Totally agree with this. As the saying goes 'Making mountains out of mole hills'.

This. I didn't even think of it much aside form "gee, the dark side is a tad light. Well, the first player counter flips, too, so that helps"

I has not been an issue for me at all. It certainly isn't something that would be a make or break on a buy decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No issue here seeing the different colors on the cars. But as suggested above easily fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take a pencil and mark one of the side so it gets darker?
Or make a dot in each corner on one side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punk Reaper wrote:
I enjoyed the game which is very similar to Thunder Alley and I will play it again but it doesn't give the feel of F1. I think if you want to scratch that itch look to playing Race! Formula 90

Can you explain the reasons?... this is my bigger concern about getting the game or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Dit it too, two dots on one side and very clear to see the difference between each side..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
collezionista wrote:
Punk Reaper wrote:

Can you explain the reasons?... this is my bigger concern about getting the game or not...

Grand Prix is essentially Thunder Alley, with some bits of chrome added to make it superficially resemble F1. The game system is reminiscent of Wolfgang Kramer's Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix. If you're looking for a game designed from the ground-up to capture F1 racing, I would also recommend Race! Formula 90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a slight irritant - not a game-breaking issue, just something that could have been slightly better. Instead of telling at a quick glance which cars have moved, I have to stop and look more closely. As others have said there are DIY remedies if it's too irritating, although I know that DIY remedies are irritating too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
collezionista wrote:
Punk Reaper wrote:

Grand Prix is essentially Thunder Alley, with some bits of chrome added to make it superficially resemble F1. The game system is reminiscent of Wolfgang Kramer's Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix. If you're looking for a game designed from the ground-up to capture F1 racing, I would also recommend Race! Formula 90.

I agree with the above comments. Grand Prix is a good game and gives me some variety from playing Thunder Alley. However, for me, it doesn't have a feel of Formula One. Like Thunder Alley a car can go from leading to losing 10 places in one round if it finds itself out of a chain of cars. This isn't F1, just a Thunder Alley hybrid.
Race, Formula 90 gives a much better feel of an F1 race but I must emphasise that Grand Prix is still a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.