1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need fun games for family at christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey, just need some recommendations for games that will suit my family for christmas day.

Needs to be for at least six preferably a couple more for ages 5 to 70. There's a few of us in our thirties, a fifty year old, a nearly 70 year old, two thirteen year olds plus one five year old.

Can be naughty/rude, I suppose more insinuating as long as over the top of the five year olds head or bad words can be bleeped kind of thing! Grandma's not easily offended either - in fact she put the most terrible answers of all last year in cards against humanity! Can be gruesome no probs and def can be mean - in fact I would prefer it to be mean otherwise it would need to be hilarious. Doesn't have to be all these, just didn't want people to automatically assume cute kid friendly essential.

Must be fun and I suppose more social than I would normally buy as I don't think people will be wanting to concentrate too much.

The five year old is pretty good at games and can play downfall of pompeii/carcassone/saboteur/port royal, jamaica etc all fine so doesn't have to be too simple. Readings a little slow though and uncommanly used words would be a prob and might get frustrated so little language please. Or games where people see anything writte without detriment to the game is fine too.

Some thinking would be okay as long as it it encouraged to be fast as have AP prone mother!

so basically

6-8 players
age 5-70
Either hilairous or scary/gruesome or mean

I was already going to buy colt express anyway and I've played bang the dice game, both of which would be okay but wondering if their's anything better or more epic/enjoyable

THank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and games that partnering up or getting into teams would beviable would also be okay aswe've often done that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Word on the Street.
Camel Up.
Rumble in the House.
Any version of Liar's Dice.

That's what is working around our multi-age family at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MacavityandMycroft wrote:
Word on the Street.
Camel Up.
Rumble in the House.
Any version of Liar's Dice.

That's what is working around our multi-age family at the moment.

Sorry I should have mentioned I have camel up already - had forgotten that though lol.

Word on the street looks good as I like word games but I think with too many adults, the 5 year old wont be able to answer fast enough and will get frustrated.

Rumble in the house looks interesting though so will look into that more, which reminds me, mascarade might work too.

Not sure they would like games with just dice only??

THank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ferguson
msg tools
First thing I thought of was Saboteur but you already mentioned it. Maybe 6 Nimmt!, Roll For It and of course 7 Wonders. 6-8 is such a tough number unless you're doing social deduction games.

Parade and Butterfly Garden can handle 6. Two copies of Karuba can handle 8 and works well with modified bonuses for reaching the temples. We used to play a game called "Nuts" that was a take on solitaire. We'd pair off into teams of two and things would often get heated. It's a quick paced and very competitive game. Just requires a deck of cards per team.

https://knoji.com/how-to-play-the-card-game-nuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers Family would have questions for everyone, including the five year old.

Something like Snake Oil might be fun too. It can be as ribald as you'd like it to be, but unlike CAH it's not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's my go to games for my family...

Cockroach Poker
Codenames
Get Bit
Saboteur
Roll for It
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our favorite family game is Dixit, but I think Ca$h 'n Gun$ is the game you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Deanmacbaine wrote:
First thing I thought of was Saboteur but you already mentioned it. Maybe 6 Nimmt!, Roll For It and of course 7 Wonders. 6-8 is such a tough number unless you're doing social deduction games.

Parade and Butterfly Garden can handle 6. Two copies of Karuba can handle 8 and works well with modified bonuses for reaching the temples. We used to play a game called "Nuts" that was a take on solitaire. We'd pair off into teams of two and things would often get heated. It's a quick paced and very competitive game. Just requires a deck of cards per team.

https://knoji.com/how-to-play-the-card-game-nuts

Yes we really like saboteur and karuba but the other side of the family aren't really the sit and think board game types, unless you make it exciting so not sure these would work, the same goes for seven wonders. I suppose saboteur might! My whole family have always played soo many traditional card games that I try and avoid commerical types unless they really have something different to offer - we always end up playing loud games of chase the ace once tipsy and even have a song for people knocked out lol! roll for it might work mind you.

Nuts might definately work - it sounds like a game we've never played before so think that would go down well if I can work out exactly how to play it lol.

My daughter would also love the butterfly garden one anyway!

THank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Hey, just need some recommendations for games that will suit my family for christmas day.

Needs to be for at least six preferably a couple more for ages 5 to 70. There's a few of us in our thirties, a fifty year old, a nearly 70 year old, two thirteen year olds plus one five year old.

Can be naughty/rude, I suppose more insinuating as long as over the top of the five year olds head or bad words can be bleeped kind of thing! Grandma's not easily offended either - in fact she put the most terrible answers of all last year in cards against humanity! Can be gruesome no probs and def can be mean - in fact I would prefer it to be mean otherwise it would need to be hilarious. Doesn't have to be all these, just didn't want people to automatically assume cute kid friendly essential.

Must be fun and I suppose more social than I would normally buy as I don't think people will be wanting to concentrate too much.

The five year old is pretty good at games and can play downfall of pompeii/carcassone/saboteur/port royal, jamaica etc all fine so doesn't have to be too simple. Readings a little slow though and uncommanly used words would be a prob and might get frustrated so little language please. Or games where people see anything writte without detriment to the game is fine too.

Some thinking would be okay as long as it it encouraged to be fast as have AP prone mother!

so basically

6-8 players
age 5-70
Either hilairous or scary/gruesome or mean

I was already going to buy colt express anyway and I've played bang the dice game, both of which would be okay but wondering if their's anything better or more epic/enjoyable

THank you

Man, I want to have Christmas at your house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jhaimowitz wrote:
Wits & Wagers Family would have questions for everyone, including the five year old.

Something like Snake Oil might be fun too. It can be as ribald as you'd like it to be, but unlike CAH it's not required.

Yep, I think they would enjoy wits and wagers so thanks - just concerned about the player numbers, do you think it would be possible to add more with using meeples etc from other games?

Yes I like snake oil although haven't played it for years. Yeah that's a possibility, could work well. I suppose it wouldn't hurt much to just quickly help my daughter read the cards she's got and see what she can come up with. Her nana and great nana will always chose her product anyway so she wont lose lol! Or I could maybe get some picture cards from somewhere else maybe so she doesn't have to show people or forget??

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
glouie wrote:
Here's my go to games for my family...

Cockroach Poker
Codenames
Get Bit
Saboteur
Roll for It

Oooh yes, just remembered, they've got codeword pictures now haven't they, keep meaning to pick that up. That would prob work. Yes, I think cockroach poker may suit them all down to the ground too. You know, I already have get bit and I really thought I would like it but I just don't enjoy it - daughter loves it though lol. She loves pulling the limbs off and making weird screaming noises shake

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Our favorite family game is Dixit, but I think Ca$h 'n Gun$ is the game you're looking for.

I like dixit too, not sure the teenage twins will mind you, can you play with that many?

Okay, I wish I could hug and kiss you, cash and guns is instantaneously in my shopping basket lol. I kept hearing people mention this game but ignored it as for some reason I thought it was a different game so must have confused it with something else some time back. It's perfect for all of them. the five yr old plays a similar simpler kids version with same mechanic already (not with guns) so the thinking behind who to point at etc and when to play safe etc will be easy for her and who wouldn't want to shoot grandma with a spongey gun

Thank you so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ferguson
msg tools
Wits and wagers creator has a new version in the works that we play tested at BGG Spring. It's the same premise but each player has special powers. I had alot of fun with it so I'm waiting for that edition to come out.

I also picked up Happy Salmon from the same guys. Is a simple and silly game that seems dumb but everyone seems to enjoy it after the first play or two.

Codenames works great for us. It's also fun to play with Dixit cards. And the new adult version cards are pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Deanmacbaine wrote:
Wits and wagers creator has a new version in the works that we play tested at BGG Spring. It's the same premise but each player has special powers. I had alot of fun with it so I'm waiting for that edition to come out.

I also picked up Happy Salmon from the same guys. Is a simple and silly game that seems dumb but everyone seems to enjoy it after the first play or two.

Codenames works great for us. It's also fun to play with Dixit cards. And the new adult version cards are pretty fun.

Do they sell adult versions of Dixit cards devil - yay that would be fun, i shall have to look them up lol. Happy salmon might work too lol!

Do you know if they're planning on releasing that version of wits and wagers in time for christmas or will it next year. I might wait myself as I think I do want the game.

THanks!

Thank you,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about an adult version of Dixit, but there is an adult version of Codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:

Word on the street looks good as I like word games but I think with too many adults, the 5 year old wont be able to answer fast enough and will get frustrated.

Word on the street is a blast with mixed ages, because as letters are claimed, the 'fancy long words' become less useful, the quick timer means the kid yelling 'pickle' is just as likely to be useful as the adult pondering through their vocabulary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I like dixit too, not sure the teenage twins will mind you, can you play with that many?

Okay, I wish I could hug and kiss you, cash and guns is instantaneously in my shopping basket lol. I kept hearing people mention this game but ignored it as for some reason I thought it was a different game so must have confused it with something else some time back. It's perfect for all of them. the five yr old plays a similar simpler kids version with same mechanic already (not with guns) so the thinking behind who to point at etc and when to play safe etc will be easy for her and who wouldn't want to shoot grandma with a spongey gun

Thank you so much

Glad you like Cash and Guns, it's SO much fun! I've played with Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition): More Cash 'n More Guns and it's worth getting right away. I play Dixit with everyone from my 7, 11 and 15 year old kids, my 13, 16 and 18 y/o nephews to my parents. It plays up to 6 with larger groups being the best experience. If you like it, there's oodles of expansion cards available as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SoundCity wrote:
Not sure about an adult version of Dixit, but there is an adult version of Codenames.

Yeah I can't seem to find anything on google about adult dixit. I can see the codenames deep undercover, I know someone it's perfect for lol!

I did just see a game called Santa vs Jesus which I might just have to get for the bad taste of it too lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MacavityandMycroft wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:

Word on the street is a blast with mixed ages, because as letters are claimed, the 'fancy long words' become less useful, the quick timer means the kid yelling 'pickle' is just as likely to be useful as the adult pondering through their vocabulary!

Yes, I think I will get it anyway as I have a thing for word games and it looks fun but I just don't think she will see them fast enough to ever get anywhere with all the adults about. But I will play it with her when with another cousin her age or with less people and maybe play it next xmas when she's that much faster so thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
[q="SaggyUK"][q="MAJBrown22"]
Glad you like Cash and Guns, it's SO much fun! I've played with Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition): More Cash 'n More Guns and it's worth getting right away. I play Dixit with everyone from my 7, 11 and 15 year old kids, my 13, 16 and 18 y/o nephews to my parents. It plays up to 6 with larger groups being the best experience. If you like it, there's oodles of expansion cards available as well.

Yes, can't wait for cash and guns hehe. I've just seen the dixit game that plays up to 12 but I find it's so hit and miss with people. I played it with two friends the other day and they didn't really get on with it but my daughter loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express is light weight, fun, easy to teach, and plays for six.

EDIT: Just realized you mention Colt Express in your post. Get it, you won't be disappointed. Putting the train together for the first time is a bit of a pain though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ONUW
Dixit is great, already mentioned above
Try playing Codenames with Dixit cards
The Resistance: Avalon
Spyfall
Concept
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
and if you don't mind arguing and possibly never talking again, Diplomacy

these will generally be too complicated for the 5-year old...but is he really involved or just along for the ride?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Thank you so much

Dixit Odyssey plays up to 12. You might also consider
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Telestrations
Time's Up! Title Recall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.