14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for something New rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Krueger
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Everyone - Was looking at getting a new game after spending some time away from purchasing and more time playing some of the games I previously purchased when I got into the hobby. I have it narrowed down to either Scythe or Isle of Skye. I know these are two completely different games, but am looking for suggestions of people who played either or both and why they enjoyed it. I am looking for a game that is good with my wife and I, but can also accommodate four and has a good deal of replayability. Looking forward to suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tavener
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend Isle of Skye. Very easy to learn, and great with 2. Games are quick, but can actually be rather deep. When you're picking which tile to discard, and the prices for the other 2, there can be a lot of planning and opportunity to outplay your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Melnyk
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I own both, but have only played Isle of Skye so far. From what I know of Scythe as well as looking at your owned games, I would recommend Isle of Skye. Easy to teach and has an incredible amount of replayability. Each game there are 4 different tiles (ways) to score points, which are chosen randomly out of 16 total scoring tiles. This alone allows for a TON of different scoring combinations. Furthermore, the game comes with more playing tiles than you will use in one game, which means that you will never see the same tiles each game. The buying/selling mechanism is something I haven't seen before and works incredibly well. There is a lot of thought that needs to go in pricing your tiles so that good ones are priced too high for others to buy and saving enough money so that you can buy other tiles.

I would say that based on your collection Isle of Skye is the safe bet, but you won't be disappointed with either option. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Isle of Sky. Because I've played Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye!

But probably just get both.

I love isle of Skye though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Krueger
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info already! I think while I am waiting for Scythe to have a reprint, I will go with Isle of Skye. Then I can research a little more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Krueger
msg tools
mbmbmb
So now Islebound is in the running - so between the three, which one would you recommend. Isle of Skye, Scythe, or Islebound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anneke Zakoor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I enjoy playing Dead Man's Draw when it is just us two and we need a quick, but fun game, but can also be played with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QuodDixieDixi wrote:
There's a new party game called Any More Questions that just came out. It's like Cards Against Humanity meets Balderdash. You can download it for free via the website: www.AnyMoreQuestionsGame.com

Thanks for the worthless spam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QuodDixieDixi wrote:
There's a new party game called Any More Questions that just came out. It's like Cards Against Humanity meets Balderdash. You can download it for free via the website: www.AnyMoreQuestionsGame.com

It's funny how you're spamming the recommendation threads, suggesting this party game to everyone you can find who's asking for game recommendations, regardless of what type of game they're looking for.

"Oh, you're looking for a great heavy euro? Try my new CAH clone. Want an awesome abstract? How about this CAH clone? Looking for a social deduction game? I know of a really great CAH clone!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
QuodDixieDixi wrote:

Thanks for the worthless spam.

I already politely tried to correct her here. I guess she's not reading replies. She's now spammed over a dozen threads. Simplest solution is for everyone red x her posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I already politely tried to correct her here. I guess she's not reading replies. She's now spammed over a dozen threads. Simplest solution is for everyone red x her posts.

Less simple but more amusing is to do what I just did and post on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/AnyMoreQuestionsGame/

Edit: They're also planning to Kickstart it. I absolutely do not condone people pledging then withdrawing just before the goal because that would be mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Less simple but more amusing is to do what I just did and post on their Facebook page.

I don't see your post. Either they deleted it, or there's some config to force posts through a filter or something. I dunno. I'm no FB expert.

Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Edit: They're also planning to Kickstart it. I absolutely do not condone people pledging then withdrawing just before the goal because that would be mean.

I also don't condone that. Not because it's mean, but because it actually helps them. It helps bump up the visibility of the project, which helps attract more backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.