flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a skim of the rules and this wonderful rule caught my eye:

Quote:
The Grim Rule
If players are unable to find the answer to a rules or timing conflict
in this Rules Reference, resolve the conflict in the manner that
the players perceive as the worst possible at that moment with
regards to winning the scenario, and continue with the game.

Brilliant. This nails the theme and it is a good practical rule for this type of game! It bakes in the "holy-crap-this-is-hopeless" feeling that should be there.

"So what is the worst that can happen? Aw hell, that just happened."

And in the case of Lord of The Rings: LCG, the most punishing interpretation of a rule usually was the correct one.

The best coop games are like this. Robinson Crusoe comes to mind. Anyway, I was amused and thought I would share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I cannot guarantee that I will not happen to just forget that rule ocasionally.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Molleda Garcia
Spain
Carbajal de la Legua
Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, I read the whole rulebook, and the only flaw I found was that rule, seeming clunky and cheap.

But looks like everyone's loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobogan wrote:
Really, I read the whole rulebook, and the only flaw I found was that rule, seeming clunky and cheap.

It is just a rule to keep the game moving and to keep arguments or discussion about card interactions from bogging the game down. It will obviously not come into any sort of effect with experienced players, or even with new players until they discover a weird interaction. It is basically the opposite of a clunky rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally it should never come up. All it says is "if you don't actually KNOW the rule, just do *this* to get by". But obviously it's better if you just know the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Tobogan wrote:

It is just a rule to keep the game moving and to keep arguments or discussion about card interactions from bogging the game down. It will obviously not come into any sort of effect with experienced players, or even with new players until they discover a weird interaction. It is basically the opposite of a clunky rule.

Exactly. It will all get clarified in time. But for now just make a good thematic decision and err on the side of brutal.

I feel that with very thematic games like this, it is fun to house rule a corner case and get into what is thematic. I did that a lot with Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Ideally it should never come up. All it says is "if you don't actually KNOW the rule, just do *this* to get by". But obviously it's better if you just know the rules.

Right. But it will likely be cases where there are unexpected card interactions that aren't clear. I just love how this rule actually adds a layer to the theme. "We can't survive, it is hopeless, and we are even fighting against ourselves."

A rule that instructs you to screw yourself is so psychologically Lovecraftian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobogan wrote:

Hey, it beats proofreading the rules before publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Tobogan wrote:

Hey, it beats proofreading the rules before publication.

I know you mean this comment in jest. But I must say that Fantasy Flight did a pretty good job keeping up with errata and rule clarifications. And most issues are not with the rules (as in the core rules of the game system). It is mostly about card interaction and timing which I would assume is very hard to playtest completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet there will probably be a bunch of situations where the "worst possible" outcome is debatable, not clear cut or subjective. I hope that indeed this rule does not prepare players to too many ambiguities or a lack of testing.

The problems with some rulings we saw with LoTR LCG often came from a lack of consistency in vocabulary (After X attacks... When X attacks...) or a lack of precision in the turn sequence. It was much better as expansions came out. Let's hope that FFG learnt from this and will not fiddle too much with AH LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

I think I will open the box, dump out the cards and start playing a game without reading the rules at all....just choosing to do what I think is the worst thing. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
dboeren wrote:

I think I will open the box, dump out the cards and start playing a game without reading the rules at all....just choosing to do what I think is the worst thing. laugh

Haha. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.