Subject: Is a Captain's Movement Order Final? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I believe that the answer is yes, but I thought I'd better check.

Basically, once the Captain has announced "HEAD XXXX", that movement is deemed to have taken place and the First Mate and Engineer are compelled to make their marks. Therefore, if the Captain's move instruction proves to be regrettable (e.g. damages the sub), it cannot be corrected?

A different case altogether, is if the Captain makes an illegal move, e.g. crosses his own path or goes off the board. How do folk resolve such situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:

I believe that the answer is yes, but I thought I'd better check.

Basically, once the Captain has announced "HEAD XXXX", that movement is deemed to have taken place and the First Mate and Engineer are compelled to make their marks. Therefore, if the Captain's move instruction proves to be regrettable (e.g. damages the sub), it cannot be corrected?

A different case altogether, is if the Captain makes an illegal move, e.g. crosses his own path or goes off the board. How do folk resolve such situations?

For the first one, I think it's YES, once the captain shout out the direction, it will be final and couldn't be changed.

For the second one, that's a good one, guess you can make some home rules to deal with that situation, maybe like, stop one turn(in turn-by-turn mode), or, stand up and turn 360 before next move(in real-time mode).

Or maybe just record one damage to their ship and the game goes on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
You're right about the Captain's movement order being final, otherwise the penalty for poor communication leading to poor moves would barely exist.

If the Captain makes an illegal move however, there isn't much you can do other than apologise immediately and make clear what the real move is to your teammates and the opposing radio operator (this is how I've played, and we've really had little to no issue doing this). This by far happens most when in the heat of the moment, East and West is mixed up

I've thought about modifying the rules somehow to account for one of the illegal moves (though I haven't had a chance to try them). Namely, moving into islands or going off the board - you could take 1 damage for doing so, and automatically return to your legal spot you came from (this way you can't use an island as an expensive manoeuvring option). The engineer and first mate could still function as if it were a normal move. You'd have to announce that you hit an island for the opposing radio operator, and tracking would continue from the last legal point.

The other types of illegal moves are 1.Moving into a previously traversed point, and 2.Moving into your own mine. I'm found it more difficult to think of an effective penalty for these. For number 1, If the radio operator has been keeping track well, the illegal move is clear and should be rectified straight-away (the penalty could just be wasted time?). For number 2, the illegality of the move is not clear to the radio operator because the mine is in an indeterminate space for them. And from their perspective, for the Captain to correct themselves like that would seem odd if there isn't a clear reason why. But I don't know whether the penalty should go so far as to announce the mine as the reason why you couldn't make that move, since that kind of information is implied from the corrected course?

Anyway, hope that helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.