Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb

Avalanche! / Quicksand!
by Guy T. Schafer

Overview
Disaster! The expedition is in trouble!
Now you are a member of the search party that must save the day.
Rescue as many people as you can before they suffocate. Seconds count!

# of Players
1-2 players.
Can be played competitively or cooperatively.

Play Time
As long as you can hold your breath.

Components
Mint Tin
1 or 2 needles
Some beads, various colors
Snow (Avalanche!)
Sand (Quicksand!)
Rule sheet

Print & Play File
professorguy.com/gallery/games/mintrescue.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
Re: [WIP] Avalanche! / Quicksand! - A Winter / Summer Mint Tin Game - 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Component Ready
Updated status. Now component ready.

Updated graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Avalanche! / Quicksand! - A Winter / Summer Mint Tin Game - 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Component Ready
Wow, simple and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea! Wonder if tweezers would work if you had to remove the beads/cubes from the tin as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
R4D6 wrote:
Neat idea! Wonder if tweezers would work if you had to remove the beads/cubes from the tin as well.

Avalanche rescue teams use long poles that they stab into the snow hoping to hit survivors. A needle seemed the most 'realistic' tool to simulate that job.

Also, a recommended rescue technique for quicksand is offering the end of a long pole to the stuck (check an old boy scout manual). Here again, a needle seemed appropriate.

I think we should create a mint tin version of the classic "Operation" and use the tweezers to remove funny bone. Whaduya say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this been tested with snow?

I can imagine the sand would make and interesting (though slightly messy) game - but I can't imagine snow being all that easy to play in - since it would likely melt fairly quickly if playing in a warmed area. Not to mention there are many different types of snow (powder snow, packing snow, etc...) And playing in the cold would make manipulating the toothpick difficult in mittened hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
adularia25 wrote:
I can't imagine snow being all that easy to play in

Oh yeah, with this you're going to learn why people die in avalanches. Obviously, it is easy to dig through powder, but powder is fragile. The point of shaking the mint tin vigorously is to do exactly to the snow what an avalanche does. The movement heats and sligthly melts the snow. Once stopped, it sets like concrete. People in avalanches don't die because they are too lazy to dig, but because snow turns to ice when moved. Digging is so tough (more like chipping ice), you don't do it until you've actually found someone. You'll have to use the poles to find the beads by stabbing straight in and feeling for the solid pieces. Just like real avalanche rescue!

My suggestion: play outside where it is below freezing. Play without mittens because you cannot hold a needle with mittens, simply remove your mittens just before playing--play is usually less than a minute, so suck it up. Lives are at stake!

Besides, I wanted a game that people who live where it is very cold can play, but those that live in warm climates cannot! As someone who lives where it is very cold, I'm sick of stuff designed only for warm places. This is my revenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who grew up in Wisconsin, I'm well aware of the cold and snow - however, without testing, I still don't think the snow portion of the game will work - I think it will be too watery if played inside, and too solid to play outside.

I'm glad you are thinking about designing games for other locations...

But telling me to suck it up for a game... I play roller derby, I'm used to pain - however your cavalier attitude about this turns me off from wanting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
adularia25 wrote:
As someone who grew up in Wisconsin, I'm well aware of the cold and snow - however, without testing, I still don't think the snow portion of the game will work - I think it will be too watery if played inside, and too solid to play outside.

I think I may include the suggestion that this game be played at below zero temperatures (< -18°C). At those temperatures, snow is in no way sticky or prone to bind--it is very sandlike.

I like this solution because it further restricts who can play to just those who live in the very frozen lands.
Moderate climates need not apply! You guys have to play Quicksand!

Avalanche! is an exclusive club, just for a few special friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
I have to admit. I was pleasantly surprised after reading the rules and found that it was not the game I was expecting. Interesting concept I shall play this over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devan Harris
msg tools
mb
Fun and easy dexterity game.

I used multi colored hole punch confetti (I work in a bindery) and very small beads which still proved to be a challenge.

It is odd however that you do not offer up alternatives to the media in which to use to represent sand/snow. You entered a contest to win I presume, you can't do that by purposefully excluding potential players just based on their geography.

It really is a fun little dexterity game though and I hope that you do add some alternatives to the snow/sand in your instructions.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.