Karmaka» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rebirth with no future life rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So reading the rules as is, when your creating a new deck (step 3) says if you have fewer than 6 cards in your hand draw from the well to your deck. If you did not have a future life (step 2) then you have no cards in your hand. All 6 cards from the well go to your deck. Then turn order ( step 1) has you draw 1 card. So in this scenario, you would most likely have to pass a few turns to build up your hand? What does everyone think. I know this maybe rare but it did happen and caused a rules argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What' the argument? If you die with no future you have 6 cards in your deck and draw 1 on your turn. That's part of the strategy, don't die without a future or you'll go into your next life playing blind essentially. Fortunately the penalty isn't crippling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That's what I said. But the player thought that was unfair they didn't have cards in their hand to start. But glad I told them the rules as intended. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With having a full deck and no cards you would want/need to draw a few cards up and not play any. Mainly to see what colors you have so you know which to play for their value.

And as Chris said it can be a bit crippling to draw your whole hand blind. But you can still do fine even so (given a bit of good luck). If you haven't built your next life, it means you used your cards for points or against your opponent. So it may be that you got good use out of those cards rather than saving them for future life. It all depends on how you want to play, and if you want to rely on drawing blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
What' the argument? If you die with no future you have 6 cards in your deck and draw 1 on your turn. That's part of the strategy, don't die without a future or you'll go into your next life playing blind essentially. Fortunately the penalty isn't crippling.

This. My son actually made this exact error in our last game. That particular life was a tough one for him, but he recovered from it.

What was that quote about "A lack of planning on your part..."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
It actually wasn't a lack of planning on their part. I used the card that destroys 2 of your opponent's future life cards , back to back on my last 2 cards of the round to finish, after I had protected my points. Hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murpheysfavorite wrote:
It actually wasn't a lack of planning on their part. I used the card that destroys 2 of your opponent's future life cards , back to back on my last 2 cards of the round to finish, after I had protected my points. Hehe

surprise

devilarrrh
Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murpheysfavorite wrote:

Wow...thats Brutal... Don't you have a heart!? ...besides Hell's Heart of which you had 2, apparently

I hope you used Denial! nothing like adding insult to injury
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murpheysfavorite wrote:

Wouldn't that have let them have at least 1 card in their future life though? They could have taken the Hell's Heart for their future life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
murpheysfavorite wrote:

Wouldn't that have let them have at least 1 card in their future life though? They could have taken the Hell's Heart for their future life?

Key words bolded. Sounds like they elected not to take the cards. Seems like a poor tactical decision from the info in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could have used Denial to prevent them from taking Hell's Heart, but then, I guess he'd at least have Denial in his Future Life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't think they expected me to have 2. After the second time they got a little what the hell moment and just forgot to grab the card. Good times. It will come back to me in the future literally with this game. They already want to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, with a stable gaming group, the karma theme has a bit of a campaign mode. LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if this exact situation is the reason they allow you to pass if you still have a deck to draw from. That way you can let your hand grow a bit before committing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.