11 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Tips for teaching CW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario T
msg tools
Hello everyone!

This weekend I'm gonna be taking CW with a new group and I was looking for some tips that can help teaching the game easier. Already have some player aids from EOG but I'm terrible at explaining rules (no one else there knows the game so no help there).

I usually explain the rules like this:
- How the game ends / How to win
- How to earn doom / Elder Signs
- Rituals
- Things you can do in your turn
- Build gate / Movement / Summon / Control gate
- Battle and it's stages (Pre, Battle, Post)
- Capturing
- How to get power
- How to get spellbooks
- Faction specific abilities
- Unlimited Battle

Even though it feels clunky (maybe I'm not articulated enough) but also feels like there's just too much.

I usually suggest a sample game (maybe 3 or 4 turns) to get the hang of it and answer any questions but most of the times they want to continue even though they could have made better choices once having solved their questions.

I'm afraid I could turn some people back from the game by not offering an enjoyable session and they won't request it anymore.

Any suggestions? Maybe explain the game differently?
Experiences from anyone that had to teach this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The "Ask Sandy" faction advice posts on Kickstarter were great, and they can be found in the downloads section here too. Faction-specific advice is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some crib sheet cards for the following:

* 1 card with Turn Sequence on 1 side and the other side had Aim of the Game, General Notes, and Battle Sequence.
* 4 cards (1 for each core faction) with playing tips/notes on 1 side and notes about battling each of the other core factions on the reverse.

Now I'm not claiming them to be perfect, but I do reckon that they're useful for beginners or a refresher.

Spurred on by this thread, I've finally submitted them to files & another thread Crib Sheets for Cthulhu Wars Core Game.

Hope that they may be useful to you.

EDIT: The 3 PNG files (2 cards per image) are now available zipped up in the files section: Cthulhu Wars Crib Sheets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars is one of the easiest games I own to teach. Always end whatever you do with the "If you're not sure what to do, go for unlocking spellbooks or getting more power than you had last turn".

It's never failed me. Also, never let anyone new play Black Goat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always explain a little bit about the personality of each faction as I hand them out. I have each player read their special faction ability and the kind of goals they each have to meet to acquire spell books. A rule in our house with new players, too, is that we always explain as we acquire spell books what they do. If you try to explain the spell book powers in detail before the game begins, it's too much. Without those, though, the shell of the game is pretty easy to understand. Explaining them later gives a lot of little, fun, "You get to do what?!?" moments. It tends to promote a bit more interaction, too, on which this game thrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:

* 1 card with Turn Sequence on 1 side and the other side had Aim of the Game, General Notes, and Battle Sequence.
* 4 cards (1 for each core faction) with playing tips/notes on 1 side and notes about battling each of the other core factions on the reverse.

Now I'm not claiming them to be perfect, but I do reckon that they're useful for beginners or a refresher.

Spurred on by this thread, I've finally submitted them to files & another thread Crib Sheets for Cthulhu Wars Core Game.

EDIT: The 3 PNG files (2 cards per image) are now available zipped up in the files section: Cthulhu Wars Crib Sheets

Nice job! I will look forward to the expansion faction version of these in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I explain everything in the order of the turn, going through each phase. I get to how to win in the Doom phase.

We talk about factions last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
These look great!

Thanks for sharing, will have a closer read once I get home but they will definitely help, specially the factions descriptions.

JudgementDave wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mb
I go through the Turn Cards that come with the game, but keep the Doom Phase for last.

When I talk about Gather Power I reference the power track on the faction boards.

When I talk about summoning Monsters I reference the units on the faction boards.

When I talk about declaring combat I explain Combat Rules.

When I talk about Doom I reference the Doom track.

At the very end I reference the Spellbooks and tell them that every rule we just explained gets broken by some faction in a distinct way. Then I'll point out the Faction abilities and GOO abilities and spellbook requirements.

I've got it down to less than 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use an onion approach. Divide my explanation in layers of complexity.

1. General theme:
I say that is a "dudes on the board" game. What you do mostly is to summon big ugly monsters from your pool to the board, move those dudes on those dudes around the map and conquer some startegic areas by violence, politics or sneaky ways.

2. General guide line:
You win the game by doom, you gain doow by gates or ES. You gain gates using power to build or attack gates. You gain power by gates and special units.

3. Units in general:
There are 3 types of units.
-cultist: provide power, build gates and act as meat shields to your more powerful and expensive units.
-monsters: capture cultists, may iniciate battle and are meat sheilds for goo.
-goo: your god, most of your strategy is based on his presence on the board and his special powers/spellbooks.

4. Capture system

5. Spellbooks and asymetry.

6. Battle mechanics.

7. About to start the game we sort factions, ask to everyone read their spellbool slots 1st and then the spellbooks them selves. When they read I briefly introduce his/her faction main idea and strenghts.

8. Only explain gather power in yhe 1st gather power phase.

9. Only explains ritual of anyhilation in the 1st doom phase.

10. Only explains unlimited battle when someone gets his/her 5th sb.

Some of those lines I copy from some of Arthur's posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
tiagomo wrote:

8. Only explain gather power in yhe 1st gather power phase.

9. Only explains ritual of anyhilation in the 1st doom phase.

10. Only explains unlimited battle when someone gets his/her 5th sb.

Your last two points really go a long way towards reducing complexity and length of the initial 'info dump'. We're doing the same thing, and we've felt that this was a good way to explain the game to newcomers in our group.
However, we do go into the details of gaining Power before starting the game, since knowledge about Gates and Cultist may influence how people play the first Round ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.