Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so after no small amount of effort, I've found that the smallest size base included in the 2e box, won't fit a monster token without destroying it or rendering it a permanent fixture. It's not that the tokens in my copy of the game are too thick. They slide in and out of the 1e bases easily and the slots in the medium and large 2e bases as well. Process of elimination dictates that the slot is not 'tall' enough for the cardstock.

I know many of you have ditched the bases in favour of clear acrylic, or ditched the figures altogether. If you're happy with that solution, then you're all set. I personally want to use the components supplied as they were intended. I was wondering if anybody thinking along the same lines as I am has contacted FFG about the problem? If so, what response did you get?

I did and received a replacement set of stands (fairly promptly) that have exactly the same problem as the set supplied in the base game. I have contacted them to let them know, and am waiting on a reply now.

It's frustrating, given the price of the game, that more care wasn't taken with the manufacture of the plastic components. I certainly don't want to dull all my jewellers files and destroy sanding sticks fixing 18 stands!

1e did not have this problem at all. Tokens slide in and out of all bases without a problem so the figures can be used for all the AH Files games. There are different tooling marks on the smallest size bases, indicating that the bases have been reworked. The clamp (identifier token holder) on the edge has been revised as well and is now far too wide to hold the chit firmly.

The answer as to why a component that worked perfectly was put to the expense of retooling at all eludes me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
The answer as to why a component that worked perfectly was put to the expense of retooling at all eludes me...

Cost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
Scrat wrote:

Cost!

Exactly! It didn't need retooling at all, which is an expensive process, so why do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would think that this problem would have been noticed during production

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not that the bases are too small, it's that there's a ridiculous amount of "flash" or leftover plastic residue inside the slot. The molding process and material they used were incredibly poor and cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Berg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sorry to hear you have this problem. I've fitted all of mine without any problems at all, which makes it even weirder that your problem persisted after getting replacement. All I can say is: hope it works out for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
It's not that the bases are too small, it's that there's a ridiculous amount of "flash" or leftover plastic residue inside the slot. The molding process and material they used were incredibly poor and cheap.

That's part of the problem. The slot in the small base is actually too narrow at the edges. I've tried sanding and filing one of the bases but there's just too much plastic in the slotted areas around the edge.

I'm not against a little clean-up on components, but this is ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've accepted that mine will never be coming out. Though they are fine in the big bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there actually a reason to remove the tokens?
My FLGS didn't have this in stock, so I hesitated, and the numerous threads on the components have kept me there. I've seen people using just the tokens, so I assume there is some artwork? And with the bases being black, I guess that artwork is hidden when in the base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
I've seen people using just the tokens, so I assume there is some artwork? And with the bases being black, I guess that artwork is hidden when in the base?

There's nice picture of the monster, and all the information is clearly visible when it's on a stand (like from any other FFG game, there's plenty of surplus from any other Arkham Game or BSG or ...). Besides, those black bases are HUGE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a lengthy email to-and-fro with FFGs CS department, I can tell you there is no fix forthcoming from FFG. This is the response I got when I contacted them about the replacement bases having exactly the same problem as the first set:

Quote:
the bases that we sent you is indicative of product line as a whole and meets our functional tolerance ranges when it comes to this component.

So if you want to use those bases as they were intended, FFGs stance is 'fix it yourself because we don't consider they have a problem'.

I've met with stony indifference twice recently when contacting FFGs CS. I'm thinking this Asmodee deal has changed the way they do business, and not for the better. I'll certainly be putting more thought into buying anything from them in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah F
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures are complete junk compared to the first edition.

I regret my purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.