tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cappelletta
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know Black Fleet, but looking at review right now I don't see many similarities with Raiders.
Maybe you got confused with Explorer of the North Sea (which, in some sense, may be similar to Black Fleet)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither Explorers of the North Sea nor Raiders of the North Sea is anything like Black Fleet.
That's my opinion! ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:

This.

Explorers of the North Sea is pickup and deliver like Black Fleet, but that's where the similarities end. The two games are very different play experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three games. Raiders and Black Fleet don't have anything in common mechanics-wise, so there is no point of comparison. Raiders is a medium weight worker placement game where you don't actually move anything around the board and the direct player interaction is very low, while Black Fleet is a light and family-oriented pick up and deliver game where you move your little plastic merchant ships carrying merchandise between ports, while attacking and sinking each other all the time with the pirate and navy ships. Maybe the only thing in common is the colorful art.

Now, Explorers of the North Sea and Black Fleet both have a pick up and deliver mechanic as part of the game, but with a different focus. In Black Fleet the pick up and deliver is the central mechanic and the one that usually gives you more rewards for your effort, while in Explorers it's just one of the many possible ways to score, it costs a lot of actions and may or may not give you that much in return depending on the distance you have to travel, the animals you can get to and the captain you choose, so maybe focusing on other stuff (raiding towns, sinking ships, bulding outposts and controlling islands) can be more beneficial than transporting livestock.

Black fleet is a game with heavy player interaction, you are attacking the other players directly on every turn, and almost any action that benefits you is negatively affecting another player (sinking their ships, robbing their merchandise, blocking their path). Explorers doesn't have much direct player ineraction apart from getting an objective first than another player and stealing control of an island or two at the end. You cannot actually attack, block or steal stuff from the other players once they got it (you do all that, but to NPC ships and towns that appear on the board).

Explorers is a more complex game than Black Fleet but they are both on the medium-light side of the scale. Also, Explorers has worked very well for me with any player count from 2 to 4, while Black Fleet doesn't really work with just 2 players, it's fine with 3 but really needs 4 to play as intended, otherwise the board feels too empty and you can have entire turns with not a lot of good actions to take because almost any worthwhile stuff requires you to be close to the other players to attack them.

I like both of them, but you may prefer one over the other depending on how you and your group feel about being mean to the other players during most of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Black Fleet, but I love the art in Raiders, the gameplay is different and fun and it's one that I plan on keeping for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick t
msg tools
mearendil wrote:
I have all three games. Raiders and Black Fleet don't have anything in common mechanics-wise, so there is no point of comparison. Raiders is a medium weight worker placement game where you don't actually move anything around the board and the direct player interaction is very low, while Black Fleet is a light and family-oriented pick up and deliver game where you move your little plastic merchant ships carrying merchandise between ports, while attacking and sinking each other all the time with the pirate and navy ships. Maybe the only thing in common is the colorful art.

Now, Explorers of the North Sea and Black Fleet both have a pick up and deliver mechanic as part of the game, but with a different focus. In Black Fleet the pick up and deliver is the central mechanic and the one that usually gives you more rewards for your effort, while in Explorers it's just one of the many possible ways to score, it costs a lot of actions and may or may not give you that much in return depending on the distance you have to travel, the animals you can get to and the captain you choose, so maybe focusing on other stuff (raiding towns, sinking ships, bulding outposts and controlling islands) can be more beneficial than transporting livestock.

Black fleet is a game with heavy player interaction, you are attacking the other players directly on every turn, and almost any action that benefits you is negatively affecting another player (sinking their ships, robbing their merchandise, blocking their path). Explorers doesn't have much direct player ineraction apart from getting an objective first than another player and stealing control of an island or two at the end. You cannot actually attack, block or steal stuff from the other players once they got it (you do all that, but to NPC ships and towns that appear on the board).

Explorers is a more complex game than Black Fleet but they are both on the medium-light side of the scale. Also, Explorers has worked very well for me with any player count from 2 to 4, while Black Fleet doesn't really work with just 2 players, it's fine with 3 but really needs 4 to play as intended, otherwise the board feels too empty and you can have entire turns with not a lot of good actions to take because almost any worthwhile stuff requires you to be close to the other players to attack them.

I like both of them, but you may prefer one over the other depending on how you and your group feel about being mean to the other players during most of the game.

Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough response! There seems to be another called Raiders of the North Sea, but might not have the heavy player interaction that black fleet has that I like and enjoy.

Thanks everyone else for your help as well, ya'll have been great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.