Subject: Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Lavery
msg tools
Hey,

I don't normally post that much on here, but I do find the Geek to be
an awesome resource.

I've been extremely excited to get my hands on Conan since it was Kickstarted, and I'm impressed with most of what I have seen of the games contents. But I'm not impressed at all with its rule books, personally I think they're a mess. One thing I just can't get over is that it doesn't have a list of what each token is and does for this game. Does anyone have a list or an idea on what most of the tokens do for this game?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Monolith is in process of re-writing the rule book to include this information and to explain the basics to the retail market. The French version will be done in a few weeks. Not sure when the English version will be ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This really bends my straw. Re-writing the rulebook? Um, shouldn't someone have, I don't know, PROOFREAD the rulebook BEFORE release? Totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I haven't even gotten my copy yet and I might just anger-sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen, it seems to be missing details, not that the whole rulebook is completely broken. Still not a good thing, but at least it's not Myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They wrote the rule book for the backers and not their bling about the retail market. Most of the backers have already watched a bunch of gameplay videos and know where most of the tokens are used. They never thought of the retail market in regards them not knowing the basics until about a week ago when a reviewer mentioned it. It's not that it needed a proofread in French. It needed one in English though..

Here is the review I am talking about.

It's not that big of a deal as all backers will get a free hard copy of the new rule book. It's totally playable with the current versio of the rules, but if you need to know what each token is you will have to wait until the updates one comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
From what I've seen, it seems to be missing details, not that the whole rulebook is completely broken. Still not a good thing, but at least it's not Myth.

Just referenced Myth in another one of these threads. Too funny. Glad I dumped that mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
It's not that big of a deal as all backers will get a free hard copy of the new rule book. It's totally playable with the current versio of the rules, but if you need to know what each token is you will have to wait until the updates one comes out.

They didn't give a time window on us getting the correct rulebook, did they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They said ASAP. Here is the update that talks about it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/posts/1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Lavery
msg tools
I found that review to be more helpful than the rule books everywhere. Than you for the heads up. I still have lots of issues with it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Lavery
msg tools
Also didn't Fantasy Flight help look over these rules? If so what did they actually do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Clanggedin wrote:

They didn't give a time window on us getting the correct rulebook, did they?

They're already drafting the french version. I think they mostly need a new English translator.

They have promised to mail a revised hard copy of rulebook to backers, which is definitely a positive step.

I remember when the Myth guys straight up talked down at the people that criticized the rule problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
This really bends my straw. Re-writing the rulebook? Um, shouldn't someone have, I don't know, PROOFREAD the rulebook BEFORE release? Totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I haven't even gotten my copy yet and I might just anger-sell it.

Good odds you win regardless. If you keep it, you should have a good game once the rules are fixed. If you rage-sell, then I'm sure you will find a happy buyer who will have a good game once the rules are fixed.

On the whole, though, its a shame they couldn't manage a proper rules translation the first time. How much cash did they have to work with? It was $3.3 million *before* the pledge manager and late orders... Having to re-write the rules is going to cost them more than doing it right the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I'd suggest you'll chill out until you receive your copy, read the rules, and play. Who knows, you might even enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Lavery
msg tools
Does anyone have a current reference sheet/list with what each token is and what they can be used for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Lavery
msg tools
Clanggedin wrote:
They said ASAP. Here is the update that talks about it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/posts/1...

Thank you for highlighting this, I actually forgot they did this update on KS. But that doesn't help me with my disappointment with the first edition of the rules they released for the Kickstarter copies. I really hope they can complete the revised rules asap in English. Personally I'm a little anxious about teaching this game to my group because the rules are very vague in places, and I know that this will damage the experience for some of them, and myself.

I really hope the community can get behind this game, and make as many resources and guides to help fellow players while we all wait for the correct rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some translation issues in the English rules, where some rules aren't quite as clear as they could be, e.g. movement https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1641049/regarding-movement-....

Plus there are some missing elements that were also lost in the translation https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1652548/list-scenario-t....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Universal Head, we need you now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Universal Head, we need you now!

Amen, brother. And sorry, for having raised $3.3 mil, they should have locked down a competent translator. Making it right is the LEAST they can do since they should have done it right to begin with. We shouldn't take it like they're doing us a big favor. It'd be like buying a car and they deliver you one with standard transmission and you've never driven stick before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like you ordered the standard transmisson but the car came with steering wheel on the right side and the stick shift has funky alchemical symbols instead of numbers. And there's a button on the dash that looks important but the text underneith is a cryptex of foreign letters..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Warren
United States
NASHVILLE
UNITED STATES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
16 Bit Warrior wrote:
I found that review to be more helpful than the rule books everywhere. Than you for the heads up. I still have lots of issues with it though

Keep in mind, that guy isn't Monolith. He made mistakes too, such as stating that you can only attack once - which isn't true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.