$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Tom M
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Only one spotting attempt can be made per friendly impulse.
Makes sense when you are only activating one hex. But if you have used a leader and want your units (in different hexes) to fire at different hexes. Again I think its fair that if you failed the first spot check you couldn’t activate a unit in the second hex to spot the same target. Thus allowing the first hex to fire when they otherwise wouldn’t.
But would it be fairer to say if you are spotting from two hexes into two different hexes its ok? For example if your units are being surrounded and enemies are both East and West of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are being surrounded, that suggests your enemy is moving, and being under a Moved marker makes a hex spotted.

Spotting attempts are, for experienced players (and I say this so often I should put it in the rules), a rare thing. The action of the game makes hexes spotted. Units move or fire. Friendly units move and/or are adjacent to enemy units. Spotting attempts are done infrequently. Early on Turn 1 when a defender is waiting for the attacker to do something, etc. If you are surrounded and the enemy is moving in on you, don't waste a unit or Leader on a Spotting attempt; wait for the attacker to make the move to close on you and hit him when he's adjacent to you.

-Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenster400 wrote:
Spotting attempts are, for experienced players (and I say this so often I should put it in the rules), a rare thing. The action of the game makes hexes spotted. ...
-Jeff

This is worth repeating again. I've been playing the LnL system since 2005. In all the scenarios I've played, I maybe make 1 spotting attempt per entire scenario.

If you are the attacker , you usually don't have time to sit around and spot the enemy. Close with him and he will shoot at you and expose himself... err... maybe break cover is a better way to say that.

If you are the defending, the attacker has to move and come to you. Wait until he acts then blast him.

It really is the heart of the system. Being able to move in close without getting shot to pieces and finally making the rush into melee.
Most kills are accomplished in melee and not in direct fire fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
I hear what you are saying guys. It’s a big mistake for an attacker to expect movement from a defender. Why would I leave a good position.
But in my last few games the attacker just hunkered down and wouldn’t attempt to close the gap (crossing a road) he knew I would opp fire. I even suggested laying smoke but he was more determined to shoot me out of my position. Which surprise – didn’t work, because I didn’t need to fire first. Which meant a lot of failed spot checks.
I’d pictured a new turn with no move counters placed yet. So the answer is No. Definitely only one spot check per impulse period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.