Subject: Firing whilst under Ops Complete rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom M
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
All units in the same hex as a successful spotting unit can fire with full FP at the just spotted hex along with spotting unit. (page 11)

So picture this, all the below being from the Americans perspective (forget the German impulses):
A friendly hex with 2 MMCs one of which is marked Ops complete. (It failed a spot check in the first impulse)
Second impulse: a leader in a completely different hex successfully spots an enemy hex.
Third impulse: The unmarked MMC above conducts a regular Fire attack. Can the MMC marked Ops complete join in?

Strictly as the rules say, No is the answer. As it was the leader in a separate hex not the second MMC that spotted. Had it been the second MMc that spotted then the answer would be Yes.
Am I right? Seems abit lame.

Second question is. If it had been the second MMc that spotted and it did get to combine its FP. How would that work? Ie its -1 if marked Ops complete but FP is halved when combining with other units.
I think the -1 to IFP is taken first before halving and rounding up. Ie a 2FP MMC would be taken down to 1 then halved to 0.5 but rounded back up to 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Third impulse? Answer: NO. And not exactly "lame" when you think about the fact that everything in a LnLT turn is, for all intents and purposes, happening at the same time in a time continuum sort of way; that's how you have to wrap your head around it at the end of the turn when you look at the Map.

2nd ?: Answer: Can't happen. The Ops Complete unit can only Opportunity Fire and does so with a -1 to its IFP. It cannot participate in a normal Fire attack (5.1) or as an additional firing unit in one (5.2).

You used two impulses to make spotting attempts. See my answer to your other post. Let gameplay actions (move, fire, etc.) occur and spotting will occur that way. Spotting attempts are for when you really have nothing to do and can risk wasting a Leader's LM or an MMC's IFP for a DFT attack.

-Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your confusion--the rule is a bit unclear. It should specify, "All units otherwise eligible to fire which are in the same hex...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Sorry Jeff "lame" was a poor choice of word.
The rule "All units in the same hex as a successful spotting unit can fire with full FP at the just spotted hex along with spotting unit" (page 11)
Is still throwing me though.
I thought Any eligible (non marked) units would have to half FP when combining though right?

Also to clarify the original question. An ops complete MMC can only ever be used in Op fire, never an impulse fire. If being used in an Op fire, can you combine multiple units? ie one under ops complete with a fresh MMC? Or is op fire only ever one unit? I know it depends on the MP being expended but I thought that 2 MMCs firing from the same hex still only counted as one fire attempt?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What version of the rules are you using? That's not on Page 11 in V4.1. I can't find that quote anywhere.

Regardless, multi-unit attacks MUST adhere to 5.2.

Op Fire is covered in 5.3. The Ops Complete can only Op Fire, and they can participate with non-Ops Complete units but it has the -1 to its IFP applied. But this wouldn't make tactical sense, so you would never want to add this unit to an Op Fire attack with, say, a 2-5-4 Squad with a 1-FP BAR . . . Better to let them fire on their own with 3 FP.

Again we have another tactical point, where you need to weigh whether a multi-firing stack is worth it or not. Save the Ops Complete unit for a second attack. Or use it for the first Op Fire; if the moving enemy survives, then blast them with the more powerful Squad. But maybe the Ops Complete unit Shakes the moving enemy, and you can later move your other Squad out to take them in a free Melee. These are the choices you have to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Ah it was the rules i was using. I had a PDF of the Modern 4.1
(so i could have a sneaky read whilst at work). I'd assumed the core rules were the same as WW2 (ive both Normandy and Falklands).
But having checked the paper copy of even my modern set it is worded differently and not even on page 11.
Sorry for the confusion. I cant remember where i got the PDF but i would have thought it came from either BGG or LNL website. If its any help tracking it down the front cover doesn't have any characters on it.
Just an OS map fading into one of the game maps. Though it does say v4.1

Thanks for helping me understand. I eagerly await the next release.
PS. Your games are sold out everywhere i know in the UK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on page 12 of the Modern rules, printed edition. And you left out the last sentence where there's a note stating that 5.2 applies, so you have to half you supporting unit's IFP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.