IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

An entry in the 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016

Game Name: 2 Kings

Designer: Scott Allen

Overview:
2 Kings is a 2 player game played with 2 sided cards, each card has 2 military icons (top and bottom of card) and 2 negotiation icons (left and right side of cards). The game is played in 2 phases: collecting your army, then the battle.

Suggested Play Time: 10-15 minutes

Components:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4GOwLLS7SEbWHVPY0pN...

The playthrough video lasted longer than expected, so here is a table of contents:

0:00 Phase 1 set-up
1:25 Phase 1, part 1
4:45 Phase 1, part 2
10:10 Phase 2 set-up
11:10 Phase 2
14:20 Wrap up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 2 Kings - Submission to 2016 18 Card Contest - Idea Phase
No, this isn't a chess variant, even though it is called "2 Kings" and has kings and knights.

The game is closer to some combination of Battle Line, Fjords, The Blue Lion, KOKONO, Galva (from last year's mint tin contest), Tron's light cycles, and my solitaire game Mech Capture.

I'm going to try to get presentable components together in the next few days, and hopefully have components and rules up sometime this weekend.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
The game is closer to some combination of Battle Line, Fjords, The Blue Lion, KOKONO, Galva (from last year's mint tin contest), Tron's light cycles, and my solitaire game Mech Capture.

Sounds intriguing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

Sounds intriguing...

Hopefully. The game is shaping up to be a combination of mechanics from those games:

Fjords: 2 phases of the game, in this game sort of a land grab, then a battle with the card you grabbed.

Tron's Light Cycles: Sort of the land grab phase of the game.

Battle Line: The phase 2 battle in the game will be similar to Battle Line.

The Blue Lion: 2 sided cards will make up the map and both players will be able to flip the cards.

Kokono, Galva: Navigating around a game "board" made up of a handful of cards (13 in this game).

Mech Capture: using the icons on the sides of the cards to resolve battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First rough draft of components are now online:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4GOwLLS7SEbWHVPY0pN...

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Here is a look of some of the cards. The 2 lighter gray King cards are the player cards. All other cards are nobles available to build your army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's what the game looks like in progress.

After Phase 1, part 1 - laying out the nobles in the land:

Phase 1, part 2 is moving your king to collect your army, by matching colors/icons on the edges of the cards.

Phase 2 is the battle. The king cards in this phase are only used to define the battle space - a space 3 card columns wide.

The right side king (upside down cards) wins this game by winning 2 out of 3 of the battles - the center and right columns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two cards have no icon on one face. How are they captured?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Two cards have no icon on one face. How are they captured?

Great question, thanks for asking. Those two card faces are "duds", they don't do anything but get in the way (intentionally). So, if I draw one of those during phase 1 where you and I are building the diamond shaped map, I'm probably going to place that useless guy on your side of the map.devil

Also, during part 2 of phase 1 of the game (moving around the map and collecting your army), you have the choice of flipping a map card if you don't like what's facing up. It costs a turn, but it may be worthwhile. So, these 2 dud cards are an additional risk of flipping a card you don't like (because it may have a dud on the back side). (with only 13 map cards, I suppose it would be easy to memorize which cards have the Serfs on the back, but such is life.

So, the 13 2 sided map/character cards are broken down as follows (26 card faces):
8 "Lords" (2 fists and 2 swords)
8 "Knights" (1 fist and 2 swords, or 2 fists and 1 sword)
8 "Freemen" (1 fist and 1 sword)
2 "Serfs" (0 fist and 0 sword)

The black fists and blue swords are the two military "suits" on the cards. I think of them as brute force (fists), and skill/finesse (swords). The top of the card suit is the one used for the phase 2 battles.

The red and gold gloves on the side of the cards are the negotiation "suits". I think of them as loyalty (red) and wealth (gold).

In the game, you just need to match the colors, but that is a little "back story" to maybe make the game a bit more interesting.

Thanks again for your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi! Interesting decisions to be made in all three phases and a bit of bluffing in the third?

Two new questions -- 1) the rules on p.2 say the king card capturing must have at least as many icons as the noble card, but the kings always have at least as many?

2) I ran into that classic problem where one player flips a card, the other player flips it back, and so on. Forever. So I think you need a rule disallowing that sort of loop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi! Interesting decisions to be made in all three phases and a bit of bluffing in the third?

Yes. It was actually a bit surprising to me how complex of a game this little game can become.

GreenTea532 wrote:
Two new questions -- 1) the rules on p.2 say the king card capturing must have at least as many icons as the noble card, but the kings always have at least as many?

Yup, good catch. I will fix that. The rules also say there will be 1 card leftover when building the 13 card land. But, since the rules ended up taking 3 pages, this is not the case. I'll correct it soon.

GreenTea532 wrote:
2) I ran into that classic problem where one player flips a card, the other player flips it back, and so on. Forever. So I think you need a rule disallowing that sort of loop.

Yes, I am aware of this. I was trying to figure out to make the rule elegantly. Is just saying "a card can only be flipped once" OK?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some clarifications to the rules based on the above feedback and uploaded the file as version 0.2 (02).

Thanks.

I'll call the game "components ready".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 2 Kings - Submission to 2016 18 Card Contest - Components Ready
Kinda quiet here soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried to get a two-person game going this evening, but we were interrupted. Sigh. Will try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playthrough video added to first post. Enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the video. I take it that you can only flip cards over once? I think there were some inconsistencies as you played. Interesting. With fewer cards, do you have a chance to win the battle line phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and offer feedback.

Yes, you can only flip a card once. To show that, I cocked slightly (most of the) flipped cards.

Most cards doesn't necessarily win. Depends on strength of cards (top icons), and lead color/icon of each column in phase 2.

I probably need to change the rules so player 1 doesn't get to go first in all phases of the game.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Scott, in order for the rules to match the video, you might also want to write that one should draw for the tableau from the face-up stack in the center position. The rules say to deal the first card there. The result is the same, but , consistency...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Khan
msg tools
can you also flip the king over one time, or is it just at the start of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks CL. I updated those rules on Oct 28, so you just need to download the latest rules, version 0.21

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmore wrote:
can you also flip the king over one time, or is it just at the start of the game?

Just at the start, or more precisely, at the start of the "build your allegiances/army" part of the game.

Thanks all for the great feedback.

EDIT: To further clarify, each player doesn't technically "flip" their king card, but decide which side to place face up. Thematically, think of this as the king deciding his approach to forge his allegiances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
Just downloaded the files. Will try this out next. Is there a new version of the files going up soon? Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no major changes, just cleaning up the image sizes and borders. So perfectly fine to play test as is, but if you want prettier copy, wait a day or two.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mb
Ayt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 0.3 uploaded to Google Drive. Just better arranged the card images on the pages, and made 1 rule clarification:
At the beginning of phase 2 (the "battle line" phase), player with the fewest cards goes first. If it's a tie, player 2 (the player who went second in phase 1) goes first.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed out the latest cards on new linen finish 100 lb cover stock, and tried out my new corner punch. Very pleased with the results:

Difficult to capture the linen finish:

Mohawk Via Linen 100 lb cover stock, and Kadomaru Pro corner cutter, both from Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.