1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Announcer won't say 'Indians' during ALCS broadcast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T
United States
flag msg tools
He also hasn't said 'Braves' in almost 25 years.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/10/12/blue-jays-announcer-indians...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Good for him. There's a referee in the NFL who won't work Washington Redskins' games because of the team name. Good to see people stand up for decency and respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I call them the Cleveland baseball team more often than not. I especially like to throw digs at my coworker that the only reason they have done well this year is because the Team has made the conscious effort to downplay the Wahoo mascot. I'm not a baseball fan, but do think it is good for the city when the team does well so I'm not a hater other than their stupid name and mascot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brickmaster wrote:

The new PC Jim Cows laws are now much gentler and kinder.

We should never make any mention of the native people of the Americas, ever. Next up, history books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
Brickmaster wrote:

We should never make any mention of the native people of the Americas, ever. Next up, history books.

So we should resurrect the St. Louis Coons, the Tampa Bay Beaners, the San Jose Chinks, the Nashville Nips ...

Personally, as someone who lives around thousands of Native Americans, I don't think "Indians" or "Braves" are that upsetting to the vast majority of them. Redskins, though, man they get pissed about that.

And plenty of TV announcers still call them the Indians (or the Redskins for NFL games). Just because one person wants to take a stand, it doesn't mean it's universal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Brickmaster wrote:

So we should resurrect the St. Louis Coons, the Tampa Bay Beaners, the San Jose Chinks, the Nashville Nips ...

Personally, as someone who lives around thousands of Native Americans, I don't think "Indians" or "Braves" are that upsetting to the vast majority of them. Redskins, though, man they get pissed about that.

And plenty of TV announcers still call them the Indians (or the Redskins for NFL games). Just because one person wants to take a stand, it doesn't mean it's universal.

I am not well versed in racist lingo - what's a "Nip"?

Regardless, if they announcer just wants to say "Cleveland" during a broadcast, so be it? Why is this a big deal?

Stuff like "Cleveland's pitcher, Corey Kluber, only laughs when someone farts". That's fine - if he doesn't want to say "Indian's pitcher Corey Kluber", then good for him.

Anytime someone would be forced to say "Indians", they can easily say "Cleveland" just the same - there is no "PC" involved.

And I agree with Chin, and I say drop the "Cheif Wahoo" symbol and just go with the "Block C" as their logo.

My only issue is if they do decide to change the name from the Indians (either due to pressure from Native American groups, the "perpetually aggrieved", or MLB or some combination thereof), what the hell do we call them?

Cleveland Ballers?
Cleveland Rockets?
Cleveland Splash?
Cleveland River Burners?
Cleveland Perpetually Unemployed Townies?
The Sherwin Williams Baseball Club?
Not the Browns?

Any other reasonable suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff coddington
United States
gary
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Brickmaster wrote:

I am not well versed in racist lingo - what's a "Nip"?

Regardless, if they announcer just wants to say "Cleveland" during a broadcast, so be it? Why is this a big deal?

Stuff like "Cleveland's pitcher, Corey Kluber, only laughs when someone farts". That's fine - if he doesn't want to say "Indian's pitcher Corey Kluber", then good for him.

Anytime someone would be forced to say "Indians", they can easily say "Cleveland" just the same - there is no "PC" involved.

And I agree with Chin, and I say drop the "Cheif Wahoo" symbol and just go with the "Block C" as their logo.

My only issue is if they do decide to change the name from the Indians (either due to pressure from Native American groups, the "perpetually aggrieved", or MLB or some combination thereof), what the hell do we call them?

Cleveland Ballers?
Cleveland Rockets?
Cleveland Splash?
Cleveland River Burners?
Not the Browns?

Stanford University's athletic teams were known as the Indians until sometime in the 80's. They've been known as the Cardinal since. Alot of people probably don't remember that, and I would guess the same thing would happen if Cleveland or Atlanta ever changed their names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they could keep the "Indians" name and just change their mascot to a Hindu dude? Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
toku42 wrote:
Maybe they could keep the "Indians" name and just change their mascot to a Hindu dude? Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Er... isn't this exactly the correct way to handle this? An individual decides thing X is offensive and thus changes what he does without demanding anyone else or any governing body do anything about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jeremycobert wrote:
Brickmaster wrote:

*Actually*, if a particular Native American tribe wanted to license their tribal name to a particular sports team or facility, that would be the only way that it could be credibly done to avoid the perception that Native Americans or a Native American tribe or tribal name weren't being exploited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

jeremycobert wrote:
Brickmaster wrote:

*Actually*, if a particular Native American tribe wanted to license their tribal name to a particular sports team or facility, that would be the only way that it could be credibly done to avoid the perception that Native Americans or a Native American tribe or tribal name weren't being exploited.

I can't remember, does anyone know if the FSU Seminoles license their name from the Seminole tribe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
toku42 wrote:

Funny in its way but um no-- just no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Angels have to go then, that's offensive to Christians.

Obviously the Pittsburgh Pirates. I mean, they are endorsing the theft, murder, rape, and pillage of innocent people.

The Nationals are just jingoistic secret-white-power folks. What about immigrants? Keep those nationalistic people out of the public sphere.

The Yankees? What about the Rebels? Why doesn't anyone care about the feelings of Southerners? I mean, the "Yankees" invaded and burned cities throughout the South.

San Diego Padres? Really? Offensive to Catholics, Christians, and atheists.

Milwaukee Brewers are offensive to alcoholics.

Braves

Indians

Royals? Really? Didn't we fight a war to not have royalty in this country?

I won't even get into the giants, and how that's offensive to little people and big people both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jageroxorz wrote:

They can keep the name as long as they act for the most part like angels off the field, too.

jageroxorz wrote:
Obviously the Pittsburgh Pirates. I mean, they are endorsing the theft, murder, rape, and pillage of innocent people.

The problem is that Pittsburgh is not a port city and thus has no meaningful historical association with pirates. They just need a new and more original mascot.

jageroxorz wrote:
The Nationals are just jingoistic secret-white-power folks. What about immigrants? Keep those nationalistic people out of the public sphere.

We can rename them the Galactics and bring their mascot into the space age.

jageroxorz wrote:
The Yankees? What about the Rebels? Why doesn't anyone care about the feelings of Southerners? I mean, the "Yankees" invaded and burned cities throughout the South.

The Rebels can adopt the Star Wars Rebels look and thus disconnect themselves from the American Civil War altogether.

The Yankees can become the Imperials of Star Wars. And since they're located in the Empire State, it would be all the more appropriate. George Lucas and Disney would probably approve -- with the proper licensing fees, of course.

jageroxorz wrote:

No, they can keep the name as long as they maintain an ascetic lifestyle off the field.

jageroxorz wrote:

The team needs a more dyanmic name, too. How about the Milwaukee Bootleggers?

jageroxorz wrote:
We can settle this matter by simply rebranding them as the Kings. At the same time, we can probably rebrand several other teams as the Diamonds, the Clubs, and the Aces.

[q="jageroxorz"]I won't even get into the giants, and how that's offensive to little people and big people both.

Since Gigantism is a lifelong birth defect, a better, more mythic name for them would be the New York Titans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

Braves

Indians

I won't even get into the giants, and how that's offensive to little people and big people both.

You win best comment of the week !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

What a bloody load of crap. It's not a case of "Waah, that might offend someone somewhere!" We're talking about actual racial slurs and stereotypes which shouldn't be used even in no one gets offended. If you can't see the difference, I suspect you're choosing to be obtuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

So you equate the word "indian" with coon,nip and beaner ? holy fuck, that's the silliest thing I have read in RSP all week.

remorseless1 wrote:

As someone who works and lives with thousands of Indians, this has never even come up as an issue.

And then an actual poll by the left leaning washpo, seems to confirm my bias.

remorseless1 wrote:

Yes, he want to take a stand and do some validation signalling at the same time. oh, so brave of him ! Perhaps next he can take a stand against the tax payers financing baseball stadiums ,going into debt and allowing the other areas of town to go to shit. that would be a real brave stance to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

What a bloody loaded of crap. It's not a case of "Waah, that might offend someone somewhere!" We're talking about actual racial slurs and stereotypes which shouldn't be used even in no one gets offended. If you can't see the difference, I suspect you're choosing to be obtuse.

Do you think the word "indian" is a racial slur ? seriously ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

What a bloody loaded of crap. It's not a case of "Waah, that might offend someone somewhere!" We're talking about actual racial slurs and stereotypes which shouldn't be used even in no one gets offended. If you can't see the difference, I suspect you're choosing to be obtuse.

See the bolded bit, stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

See the bolded bit, stupid.

You're pretty boldly calling someone stupid, when you don't even know what a stereotype is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:

Cleveland Ballers?
Cleveland Rockets?
Cleveland Splash?
Cleveland River Burners?
Not the Browns?

Their original name, the Cleveland Spiders

The problem is, they should have renamed them already. If Cleveland ends up winning it all, it will be hard to change the name with a recent championship with the offensive name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
You're pretty boldly calling someone stupid, when you don't even know what a stereotype is...

Sure, I don't. You may not be inherently stupid but you're choosing to be stupid on this issue at least. Yes, I stand by that assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.