Subject: Battlestar Galactica - not cool or campy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I will admit to playing this game as a child. Usually I would play against other players while ignoring the "cylon raider" that everyone is trying to capture. I don't really know why we had this game in the house, since no one in my family liked the show except me. I certainly didn't buy it. Hmmm...

If you are reading this review because you are looking to buy this game, you need to realize that this game is silly. Buy the game for collectability or to remember your childhood, but I want it on the record that I have warned you.

Components: Board, Plastic "raider" (that looks more like a "TIE Fighter" from Star Wars than a cylon raider), Plastic bases for holding cardboard cutouts of "Colonial Vipers", plastic spinner mounted on cardboard. The "raider" is designed to fit underneath the "Colonial Viper" plastic base. Not exactly eye-catching.

Gameplay: Uh, simple? The object of the game is to move your Viper from your Battlestar in one of the corners of the board to the Raider located in the exact center of the board. Once there, you attach the Raider to your Viper and move back to your Battlestar. Game over. To assist in your efforts, and to hinder your opponents, you have "Command" cards that can be used on your turn. "Thrust" adds to your movement for the turn, "Laser Torpedos" can be used to destroy an opponent - sending them back to their Battlestar while leaving the Raider in place. "Force Field" sends a player to an empty purple planet on the board. "Evasive Action" negates the affect of command cards.

The mechanic of the "Laser Torpedos" is crazy. You spin to determine the number of shots, then spin to see which quater of the board you hit! That's right, 1/4 of the board is hit on each shot, regardless of where you are, or who you are shooting at. "Force Field" is even crazier since you pick who you will move, no spinning required.

Even at its best, this game is just a race to the middle and back. The components are lackluster, the game play is sad. In addition to the actual problem with the game play:

Why are Colonials shooting at each other?
Why is there more than one Battlestar? The show is about the LAST Battlestar: Galactica! (OK Pegasus shows up too, but no one knew she was still out there.)
Laser Torpedoes are never mentioned in the series.
Force Fields are never mentioned in the series.
The Colonials never "capture" a Raider, they confiscate the Raider that Baltar flys.

Did the designers even see the show at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatAtuin wrote:

Why are Colonials shooting at each other?

I remember that the explanation of the game's premise was that capturing the abandoned Raider was part of a training exercise for the Viper pilots; a "war" game, so to speak.

As for the rest of the review, spot on. It was obvious that the designers never watched the show, at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very silly game, although the capture-the-flag element isn't such a terribly bad idea. The implementation is utterly lacking, though, as you point out. The Force Fields bit is one clue among many that there was no logical connection between the game and the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.