41.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I've marked spoilers in the title but just in case someone looks into this by accident this entire post will be full of spoilers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Last night myself & another person played through Escape from Innsmouth with 2 randomly drawn investigators who both had low influence ratings. We'd failed this scenario 2 times before but had a good idea of what to do/where to go/what cues specific events.

We got everything flowing relatively well as you would expect but then we had to get the silver key off the drunken man on the dock and it took an age. We failed the attempt to steal the key and were left with trying to persuade him late on in the game.

This wouldn't have been a problem if we knew that you had to keep interacting with the guy regardless of the amount of failed attempts and it would pool your results so he'd eventually hand it over, but given how many times we rolled low pass results (7 attempts at it or so? We had some bad dice luck too!) & had the mob rolling towards us, we assumed there were alternative means to get to the tower. We sorta screwed ourselves over for a few game ruining turns by assuming we just had to find another key/another way in to start the fog horn!

I still really enjoyed the scenario on this third run through, and the situation we found ourselves in added to the panic, but we were admittedly disappointed with the flow being ruined due to the lack of alternative options when character stats did not match up with certain important interactions.

I am sort of hoping I've missed something obvious in the campaign that one of you will point out, but given this was my third failed run through, I doubt I've missed anything. On the prior 2 runs we had characters with decent influence scores (3+) so hadn't encountered this issue.

Has anybody else had an issue with any key interactions related to their character selection & stats that ruined the flow of their campaign?

And yes, from now on regardless of scenario we're going to add in a third proxy investigator just in case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice and can see your point.

With 2 investigators, I think it's important to have a balanced team. Obviously with 4 investigators you'll have a better chance at covering your bases. But let's say both characters had high influence but low Lore, I don't think you'd be able to complete the investigation.

No go on the random pull with only 2 investigators is my advice.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
I got the same feeling. Luckily I had a good influence character, but got to think exactly what you said and will have more care with the character selection on future plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah my wife and I have played this twice (2P) and lost both times - got very close the last time but my wife got incredibly unlucky with a chain of restrained cards when we just needed to get to the boat.

I definitely see investigator selection as one of the most important parts of the game and would never randomise it completely. We normally spend a good 10 minutes planning a well rounded team - for this scenario I think you definitely need influence and I've found the athlete is really good in being able to move around the map pretty swiftly (also pretty important 2P).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lost once with four players and once with two. I think the athlete is the key to winning this one and she will be in my hand next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Roden84 wrote:
Yeah my wife and I have played this twice (2P) and lost both times - got very close the last time but my wife got incredibly unlucky with a chain of restrained cards when we just needed to get to the boat.

I definitely see investigator selection as one of the most important parts of the game and would never randomise it completely. We normally spend a good 10 minutes planning a well rounded team - for this scenario I think you definitely need influence and I've found the athlete is really good in being able to move around the map pretty swiftly (also pretty important 2P).

That's definitely a great point. I don't think I'd ever go completely non-random as I love doing so in every Arkham game I play, but in a 3 player game of Mansions I think in future we'll select 2 random characters, and 1 proxy "best" like Rita Young as you and Rick suggested to make sure the game doesn't hit any flow ruining stumbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.