Subject: Advice for a dad of girls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girls - both 8 - really enjoy King of Tokyo but it's a battle over who gets to be Cyber Bunny. It's not that they necessarily like bunnies, it's just the only monster that has pink and purple and otherwise resembles a monster they enjoy the look of.

I see there is a new cat in the latest edition of King of Tokyo, and that would be awesome to get a copy of, but is the only solution buying another copy of King of Tokyo? Have you heard of IELLO allowing you to buy a monster pack from a game that you don't actually own a copy of?

You would think that a family game would be a little more inclusive and have more than one monster that appeals to little girls. It would have been nice to see both the Cat and Bunny together.

Don't even get me started on the Essen Rozy Pony. So, my friends, what is the best way to get some additional girl-friendly monsters? I don't imagine anyone would give up Rozy Pony since she's a prize for winning a game at Essen, but she would literally send my girls over the moon. I'd probably end up with a whole other fight in that case.

Have any of you had a similar experience? Is there a way to buy monsters from IELLO, in particular Cyber Kitty or Rozy Pony or is eBay the only way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you contact Iello?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion comes with a panda, if they'd be interested in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
The King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion comes with a panda, if they'd be interested in that.
Good call! The expansion is cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, my 8 y/o daughter refuses to play with Cyberbunny. She says it's too girly for her...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another ironic observation, I'm the most stereotypical man I know, but Cyber Bunny is my favorite KoT monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guarantee that if you contact iello, they will figure something out for you.

If you have the first edition of the game, I would ask for the Cyber Kitty character from the second edition to supplement your version and vice versa (Cyber Bunny), that way your daughter's each have a unique, feminine-centric character to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, that's a tough situation. Because the other side of the coin is: who's to decide what should "appeal to girls"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Hm, that's a tough situation. Because the other side of the coin is: who's to decide what should "appeal to girls"?

In this case, there are two specific people who definitely get to decide what appeals to the girls in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second the Panda from the power up expansion. However it seems very hard to find lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
Since the Panda expansion is not compatible with the new edition, it's likely to go out of print forever, until the version for the new edition is released. So if you want to get it you should hurry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses. To those who asked if I've contacted IELLO, not via their website. I've commented on a couple of their social media posts, but I think those must be scheduled or not monitored. I guess I could try shooting them an email.

Salt-Man Z wrote:

That's a great recommendation, I do have the Power Up expansion and Halloween. We also have King of New York, but NY has less little girl-leaning characters than King of Tokyo. They call Pandakai "Po", as in Kung Fu Panda, so he's sort of relegated to "boy" status, but they do occasionally choose him.

MAJBrown22 wrote:
It's funny, my 8 y/o daughter refuses to play with Cyberbunny. She says it's too girly for her...

As you may have figured out by my post, my girls are twins. Not identical. But even growing up in the same house, in the same circumstances, one of the greatest things about having twins is seeing just how different they are and their preferences. One of them is a quiet artistic wallflower who is very sensitive. The other is her older brother's shadow. She's athletic, loves gymnastics, Nerf gun fights and rough housing. Their favorite colors also change on the regular, but their "second favorite color" never has. One is always pink. The other is always purple. So when you tell me that your 8 year old daughter finds Cyber Bunny too girly. I'm not surprised in the least.

ayejae wrote:

As a guy who was raised by a single mom and his grandma without much male influence, I tend to really strongly consider the female perspective. When I found out my wife was pregnant I hoped for a girl. I was blessed with two.

So when you ask who's to decide what should "appeal to girls?" I take that to heart. I'd answer you exactly as grasa_total did, "my girls do." When I asked for more inclusive options, I may have worded things poorly. Just as my daughter loves Nerf Guns, I was a 8 year old boy who asked for a baby doll for Christmas and made my Dad flip a lid. He was worried it'd make me gay. I guess it was the very early 80's though. My point in that detour is that we may say that a pink cat may be more appealing to girls, but there are a damned lot of boys who would think it's cool too. There are also little girls who love stereotypical girly things and this game doesn't offer much in the way of monsters that look like they could be a girl like them.

You're right in challenging gender stereotypes though. Not all boys love football. Not all girls love dolls. I certainly didn't mean to come across as if I was setting an expectation for their choices. I was just trying to be their voice since they had expressed that disappointment to me.

superman829 wrote:
In another ironic observation, I'm the most stereotypical man I know, but Cyber Bunny is my favorite KoT monster.

That's because Cyber Bunny is pretty damned cool! I usually let the girls pick my monster and recently I've been Pandakai a lot. If I choose though, I usually pick Meka Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are releasing "booster pack" monsters next year. The only confirmed one is Cthulhu. There's a chance one or more of those would suit your needs (also an outside chance they'd put the Cyber Kitty in one as well).

erwanl wrote:
Since the Panda expansion is not compatible with the new edition, it's likely to go out of print forever, until the version for the new edition is released. So if you want to get it you should hurry!

The only real incompatibility is that two of the evolution stacks now have the 'wrong' monster name. There is no actual functional issue.
That said, The new version will also have evolutions for the Tokyo monsters to use in New York.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They had made mention that there may be a pack. It's Essen right now so they are probably busy with that. Give it a couple weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the OP. Dad of 3 girls. My oldest is only 5, but we've busted out King of Tokyo plenty of times (no cards variant). Her interests are all over the map. But she definitely leans toward pretty things. Not even Cyber Bunny qualifies. Though Cyber Bunny is the only one I can recall her being interested in among the other monsters. It is a game about giant monsters clobbering a city and each other after all. Though luckily for my girly girls, someone posted Hello Kitty in the files section. It was easy enough to make it myself. She picks it every time. I had to make a second one for my 2-year old because she likes "playing" too. And wouldn't you know it, Hello Kitty is her favorite "monster." And I find it quite humorous that Hello Kitty is terrorizing the city.

For our part, I hope Iello does at least release Cyber Kitty (plus power ups would be nice) in an expansion pack. They did cater to a particular taste once already with the Halloween expansion, which hardly felt like giant monster material in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well monsters in KoT are nothing but a cardboard standee and a scoreboard, so I guess you could play with a couple small plastic dolls (MegaPeppaPig vs. PonyZilla?) and some glass beads for keeping count of score and hit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Well monsters in KoT are nothing but a cardboard standee and a scoreboard, so I guess you could play with a couple small plastic dolls (MegaPeppaPig vs. PonyZilla?) and some glass beads for keeping count of score and hit points.

dbolyard wrote:
Though luckily for my girly girls, someone posted Hello Kitty in the files section. It was easy enough to make it myself. And wouldn't you know it, Hello Kitty is her favorite "monster." And I find it quite humorous that Hello Kitty is terrorizing the city.

Making custom monsters is a cool idea. I haven't looked through the files section yet. Of course after writing this post, I start really looking into the promos and the 2016 edition and now I think I might be stuck heading into Target.

You guys let me whine about not enough girl friendly options and the new Target edition looks great for that. XD Cyber Kitty was met with a couple "awwwws", and so was Baby Gigasaur. Two winners! IELLO's website (or press release?) mentions that Target gets exclusive rights to Baby Gigasaur for 1 year and then it will be made available to owners of other editions, so that might end up being a booster pack too.

Now my dilemma whether is to just bite the bullet and buy the new 2016 KoT. Or print some new monsters. Or maybe both.

dbolyard wrote:
For our part, I hope Iello does at least release Cyber Kitty (plus power ups would be nice) in an expansion pack. They did cater to a particular taste once already with the Halloween expansion, which hardly felt like giant monster material in my opinion.

I completely agree. Boogie Oogie and Pumpkin Jack don't feel like monsters in the giant monster sense, they seem more along the line of spooks in the closet. But those costumes idea was fun. It got a ton of laughs trying to image a giant monkey fighting over the city with a giant sheet over his head playing Ghost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, It's probably easiest (and cheapest) to just buy the new version of the game. If you can get it at Target, you will get the cute Baby Gigasaur as well. Between him and Cyber Kitty that should give you a couple new monsters that they might like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's exactly what is going to happen. My birthday is in a few days, and seeing my kids light up is just about as good as it gets. I think they'd be excited to get a "Happy My Birthday" present from their Dad.

I swear to all that is good and right though that if the new fight is over Baby Gigasaur I might go all King of Tokyo on the house. lol. Thanks for the Target-edition recommendation, Ender02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We could reframe this conversation by taking gender out of the equation and say, "The OP's kids like 'pretty' things, for example, monsters with pink and purple. Why didn't Iello make more pretty monsters?"

Probably because they didn't think pretty monsters would help sell the game, or because when they think of big stompy monsters, "pretty" isn't the first word that comes to mind.

I don't know if this is helpful to the conversation, but Smash Up has its "Pretty Pretty Smash Up" expansion that adds Kitty Cats, Mythic Horses, Princesses and Fairies to the game. Although I've read a few posts of "I wouldn't buy it because I don't like the theme", the expansion gets good ratings on BGG. Frankly I would be more likely to buy it *because* I don't like the theme and want to stretch my comfort zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe it's because the people designing the game are men. Who can say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad there isn't a giant moth or butterfly among the monsters. My daughters would totally dig it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree that "pretty" isn't what most people think of when they think of monsters destroying a city. The theme brings the arcade game RAMPAGE to mind, and I know that wasn't exactly "pretty" either.

I don't want to beat on IELLO too much, because it does appear that this 2016 Edition of the game brings the "pretty.". We have Cyber Kitty and Target adds Baby Gigasaur which has plenty of 'cuteness' factor.

Space Penguin was a tournament prize at one time and that is now a part of the regular set. Rozy Pony would be a huge hit in my house, so I can only hope that Rozy makes it to a Monster Pack like Cthulu. I really like the idea of a butterfly too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone remember Mothra versus Godzilla?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
Anyone remember Mothra versus Godzilla?

Precisely where I was coming from

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.