Subject: 4 player game: Eastern US or Mexico? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on playing a 4 player game in the coming weeks. Two of us have two games each under our belts, the other two haven't played before. I've read that Eastern US is best for 5-6 players and Mexico is best for 2-3. So where do we go with 4? Is it better to be too cramped or too spread out?

I do like this game but until the two base maps become stale, I don't plan on buying any additional maps.

Both of my games have been in Mexico so far so I'm interested in trying Eastern US, but not at the cost of a lesser experience.

So, based on what we have, what do you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't try Mexico with 4. I'd think it would be way too crowded.

However, 4 on Eastern US is awfully spread out.

I think I'd recommend the Eastern US map. However, my better advice would be to pick up either Great Britain or Canada to hit that 4-player bullseye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the proposed options, I'd play Eastern US. It may be spread out but easier on newbies to learn, rather than crowded, mountainous terrain on top of it. My .02.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing any better I've played 4 player on the eastern US map. It takes away a big part of the game that you get playing three on Mexico, but I think it is similar to a two player game in Mexico. You learn to play different sides of the board and occasionally clash for routes.

If you want, and since you know the game, let the new players start battling out over the northeast and you start your game in Chicago and the other experienced player down south! That will give you a challenge for sure!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi tfoz,

Agree with Bill and Louis, you want the Eastern US map. You will also want to explain to the new players that the eastern range from New York down to...Charleston? Savannah? I forget the south city where that east-coast stretch "ends".

Anyway, if you continue searching the forums, you will probably come across a number of forum posts about the east side of the map being "too strong" or "too easy" or "too" something. I don't necessarily agree with that, but you should note that there are easy points and easy money to be made there if one single player goes there and is mostly unchecked to run those multiple short 1 cube routes.

So, of course, don't let them!

It's a great game, one I don't get to the table nearly enough. Need to fix that!

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just throw in my support for the Eastern US map as well. Mexico is great for 2-3, don't try 4, at least with newbies.

For games with newbies and experienced players, we always stress the importance of not letting 1 or even 2 players dominate the Northeast. That is usually all it takes and a good game ensues.

And another chance for me to say: Love RoTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern US for 4 players would be better. When you are ready for a new map the Europe map is really good for 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the overwhelming consensus is to not play on Mexico with 4. Thanks for the feedback all. Will give Eastern US a go.

I do think Europe looks cool, however since most of my gaming is just me and my wife, I don't know how much use we'd get out of it. These 4 player events only occur every few months, and we rarely play the same game more than 2 times. However, I have enjoyed my experience with 2 on Mexico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tfoz15 wrote:
Seems like the overwhelming consensus is to not play on Mexico with 4. Thanks for the feedback all. Will give Eastern US a go.

I do think Europe looks cool, however since most of my gaming is just me and my wife, I don't know how much use we'd get out of it. These 4 player events only occur every few months, and we rarely play the same game more than 2 times. However, I have enjoyed my experience with 2 on Mexico.

It's a shame these are your only choices for 4-player. Eastern U.S. is a terrible 4-player map, and not a great map in general, whichever player controls the Philly-to-Boston eastern coastal area always wins. For 4-players you really need to play Great Britain or Europe.

I'd play Mexico over Eastern U.S. for 4-player, the Eastern U.S. map is very flawed in its design, we no longer play it at all, ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
In his Run Through of Railways of Europe (on the Railways of the World page) Rahdo says he and Jen enjoy the Europe map.

If you're not familiar with Rahdo, He only reviews games that he thinks are good two-player unless he gets a special request otherwise from a significant backer of his Run Throughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo is actually the reason I have this game in the first place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
In his Run Through of Railways of Europe (on the Railways of the World page) Rahdo says he and Jen enjoy the Europe map.

If you're not familiar with Rahdo, He only reviews games that he thinks are good two-player unless he gets a special request otherwise from a significant backer of his Run Throughs.

"[+1]"...the Europe map is excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could try blocking off the bottom third of the North America map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Have you (or anyone else) tried that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't, but have seen it mentioned in some other threads. I believe the original board from Railroad Tycoon came in sections making it even easier to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend Eastern US with 4. We don't even like it with 5. It really needs 6 players.

Our favorite 4-player map is England. We just don't like the Europe map.

Long term, you should look at Railways Through Time, which scales for any number of players. (You use one map per player, and it's sort of like 3D Railways, warping between them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of this with 4 players (all of us noobs) on the Eastern US map, not having any other maps besides Mexico. It was fun, but the two players who battled it out in Eastern US absolutely DOMINATED the other two of us who went to other spots on the map.

I was basically eliminated from the game 20% of the way through. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor03 wrote:
I played my first game of this with 4 players (all of us noobs) on the Eastern US map, not having any other maps besides Mexico. It was fun, but the two players who battled it out in Eastern US absolutely DOMINATED the other two of us who went to other spots on the map.

Thanks for the report.

That's pretty much how I assumed a 4-player game would work out on that map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Two players competing in the Northeast should slow each other down a great deal. If there is just one player in Chicago, they can do quite well for themselves (especially if they manage to sneak in the NY-CHI and NY-KC major lines, though you need to take the time to make a NY connection before the end of Turn 2). The fourth player, it depends. If they snag a couple service bounties and they can do the east coast major lines, they can hang in there. You said everyone was new - I have lost 4P games to a very good, experienced player who barely laid a hand on the east coast. His style is to build a good network on the major lines with a strong train and few competitors, then to ship a bunch of cubes. It's pretty efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Europe is the best RTT map. Period. Especially if you typically play with 4. It can't handle 6 players, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.