Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Mowery
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard so many great reviews about this game, so I purchased it. I've played it a few times, and I'm not sure I see why this game isn't just a big luckfest.

If one player has the Ring card come into their hand within the first 5 card draws and the other player has the Crown card buried at the bottom of their deck, how is this even remotely evenly-matched? Doesn't this game just come down to who's deck is shuffled more to their advantage?

What am I missing?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:
I heard so many great reviews about this game, so I purchased it. I've played it a few times, and I'm not sure I see why this game isn't just a big luckfest.

If one player has the Ring card come into their hand within the first 5 card draws and the other player has the Crown card buried at the bottom of their deck, how is this even remotely evenly-matched? Doesn't this game just come down to who's deck is shuffled more to their advantage?

What am I missing?

Cheers.

Are you seeking to understand the rules or is this merely some sophomoric complaint that there might be luck in a game which you may on occasion have to endeavor to overcome to win in a game. While most folks claim to like luck or chance untill , of course, it goes against them - then they claim they don't like luck and never cared for it yada, yada ...

"Luck be a lady tonight"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played a handful of times myself, but had a similar impression. There were some tactical decisions, but I felt I had little control and only a few interesting decisions to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about a 5-10 times and love it!

The "unknown" (luck?) of when your opponent will draw the card you need to find is a major part of the game. Will they keep it in their hand, or instead try to hide/protect it by placing it on the board?

There are pluses and minuses to both strategies, and cards that help you attack both places. And obviously this dilemma also applies to you and your draws, too.

Having said all that, I can also see that for some people, this game just isn't going to scratch an itch for them. That's the beauty of the hobby --- so many games and so little time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if the Ring comes out early and the Crown is buried, will this game most likely be won by the player who's going after the Ring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:
So if the Ring comes out early and the Crown is buried, will this game most likely be won by the player who's going after the Ring?

Oy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.