Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 players and a Rival rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Pettit
United States
California
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried playing with 2 players and a Rival thrown in? If so, how did you adjust the rules and did you like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about doing this too, to add a bit of random difficulty to a 2p game. I'll give it a shot sometime and reply again with results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rabbito84 wrote:
Has anyone tried playing with 2 players and a Rival thrown in? If so, how did you adjust the rules and did you like it?

I gotta admit that unlike Brad103, I'm not getting what you're taking about. Perhaps it's because the "House" card in the game is already called, "The Rival". Or perhaps it's because I can be pretty thick-headed sometimes. So can you expand further, about what your concept is?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob is referring to using the Solo rules [where the AI is also called 'The Rival' - see pages 18-19 of the TEW Rulebook] as a dummy third player in a 2 player game.

I am very interested in hearing if anyone has tried this! Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

kingmob75 wrote:
Rob is referring to using the Solo rules [where the AI is also called 'The Rival' - see pages 18-19 of the TEW Rulebook] as a dummy third player in a 2 player game.

I am very interested in hearing if anyone has tried this! Subscribed.

Oh, OK, thanks. That wasn't obvious to me, not having played the solo game yet.

Sounds similar to using one of the 'bot Captains from New Bedford as another player in a 2-player game, which I heard works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pettit
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yes just like this.

I thought of trying the rival player following the second player each turn so each player is followed 3 times total. Also, I think the rival should have a 3rd posse member if either of the other 2 players have it. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though so I'm not sure how it would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got around to giving this a try...more or less. Too many people want to play this so I had issues trying to get a two player game in Instead, I played it on my own playing two characters, and using the rival rules.

I adjusted the rules a bit before, and during the play through, so I'll have to give it another go, but here's some things I adjusted (Unless otherwise noted, I used the solo rules as written).

- Rather than have the Rival always go last, I used the multiplayer rotating first player rules. This made it so the Rival would place before and after players, forcing placement and possible duels.

- The Rival would only have a third Posse Token if both players had their third Posse Token (optionally also let the Rival use a third token if the Rival was the start player for the round).
I realized that if one person placed a third Token, while the other didn't, the Rival could roll to place on the Two Token player and hinder that person more than the Three Token Player. Therefore, to balance this bad luck, I only used the third Rival Posse Token if both players had 3 Tokens. The optional part above I didn't try yet but it makes sense that, if the Rival goes first, than it has an equal chance of attacking both people for the rest of the round. The third Token it places is only to potentially block a location.

- The Rival doesn't keep a score, but it will still buy buildings normally (just remove card from game), and it will still move Industry tracker as normal. Additionally, when the rival wins duels, return the duel card to the center of the board.

---

Though a few more adjustments may be needed, I find that having the rival tokens in play make for a much more interesting game for two players. More placement spots are taken up, and therefore more duels are needed. Also the poker hands are more difficult to win, since you play against the rival and player at each location.
I'll have to give this another go, hopefully with another person
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.