Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I am going to Malaga on 3rd Nov and meeting up with a fellow wargamer to explore Southern Spain. The vague plan is this, but I'm open to suggestions:

Thursday 3rd Nov - Arrive late, so not much this day.
Friday 4th Nov - Drive to Badajoz, explore it.
Saturday 5th Nov - Explore the 1811 Albuera battlefield, which is just South of Badajoz.
Sunday 6th - 8pm flight back to Belfast from Malaga. Not sure what to do before then.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uncas mohican
Spain
flag msg tools
Hello:

If you haven't seen it a visit to the alhambra would be worthy. It's not strictly wargame related but it's a beautiful and historical place, and this time of the year is great to go there. It's about two hours from Malaga, more or less. A little farther, in Jaen, is the Museo de Interpretación de la Batalla de Bailén, about the Battle of Bailen of the Peninsular War. I haven't been there but it could be interesting

Greetings
Cuco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uncas22es wrote:
Hello:

If you haven't seen it a visit to the alhambra would be worthy. It's not strictly wargame related but it's a beautiful and historical place, and this time of the year is great to go there. It's about two hours from Malaga, more or less. A little farther, in Jaen, is the Museo de Interpretación de la Batalla de Bailén, about the Battle of Bailen of the Peninsular War. I haven't been there but it could be interesting

Greetings
Cuco

Thanks for the advice - Bailen was the great Spanish victory where they captured and entire French army - the area looks like the battlefield is still intact too. NB - I love the VP games Napoleonic 20 series, but Bailen 20 was a total dud for me.

I heard that Malaga was one of the early battles of the Spanish Civil War, although don't know if there is anything to see about it.

Was thinking maybe visiting Gibraltar - are the border controls easy enough or a total nightmare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ref Gibraltar - well worth a visit from both an historical & general interest viewpoint - driving over the main runway to get access to the town was a first for me!. When I was last there we queued to get in & out but I don't think it was incredibly bad - maybe 30 mins - and it was worse on the way out - all down to the Spaniards of course & their inability to abide by a treaty. We were there peak tourist season so I'd guess its quieter at this time of year.
The Spanish Civil War touched most towns but you don't see the Spanish commemorating it much - understandably given the violence involved.

Regards
Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in Moorish Spain then Cordoba is more on your route from Badajoz back to Malaga than Gib or Granada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
If you are interested in Moorish Spain then Cordoba is more on your route from Badajoz back to Malaga than Gib or Granada.

I am (see Reconquista) but I'm not sure if my friend is.

Cadiz is another option. Busacco was fought there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
kerpob2 wrote:

Er ... Bussaco was fought at Bussaco (or Buçaco) in northern Portugal. I went there a couple of years ago and there's an impressive memorial, but you can't see much of the battlefield because it is now overgrown with trees. You can, however, see an olive tree to which Wellington allegedly tied his horse.

Unless you're referring to Jaime Maria Busacco, the Andalusian flyweight who defeated "Kid" Bronson over 12 rounds at the Cadiz arena in 1907 ... but I made that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spain is my favorite country to visit. I love the people and places so I'm envious of your trip.

If you are in southern Spain you should spend time in many of the awesome cities of southern Spain. My favorite is Sevilla. Northern Spain is awesome but in a different way.

Back to your topic.

Well depending on war there are ALOT of places to go to see memorials/battlefields in Spain.

Pretty much any castle is a battlefield and Spain has many of those.

The Spanish Civil War is something many spaniards would like to forget. Too recent and too painful to enjoy talking about the history but to be blunt many parts of Spain where a battlefield during the Civil war including:

Toledo - Scene of an epic siege during the civil war
Madrid - Scene of many major battles during the civil war

The Reconquesta has numerous sites including: Grenada, the hill Towns including Ronda

Enjoy your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nier
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Would absolutely second the Seville recommendation. It was the highlight of my two weeks in Spain. But if you are only in Spain for a few days, and will be touring battlefields for a big chunk of that time, you probably don't have enough time. Seville is at at least a two-day visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
uncas22es wrote:
Hello:

Greetings
Cuco

Thanks for the advice - Bailen was the great Spanish victory where they captured and entire French army - the area looks like the battlefield is still intact too. NB - I love the VP games Napoleonic 20 series, but Bailen 20 was a total dud for me.

I heard that Malaga was one of the early battles of the Spanish Civil War, although don't know if there is anything to see about it.

Was thinking maybe visiting Gibraltar - are the border controls easy enough or a total nightmare?

Make sure you refer to it as La Concepcion...seems to be easier to get directions that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super lopez
Spain
Berga
Indiana
flag msg tools

I live in Barcelona (north of Spain) but let me say you that the all city of Granada and "The Alhambra" are indispensable for any trip on South of Spain. There are other places and places more directly linked to wargames, but The Alhambra (for me) is one of the more splendid and beatiful fotress - palace of the world. And the kingdom of Granada was the last muslim kingdom in Spain.

In Spanish exists a sentence that says: "No hay pena más grande que ser ciego en Granada". This says all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do decide to visit Alhambra you could pre-book the evening visit. That way it wouldn't get in the way of the day time battlefield visits.

You don't get access to the grounds nor all the palace but it makes for an atmospheric short visit. I've been three or four times now and thought the after dark one was well worth it.

Whatever you do - pre-book it and go before your time tickets. The queues can be terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

Er ... Bussaco was fought at Bussaco (or Buçaco) in northern Portugal. I went there a couple of years ago and there's an impressive memorial, but you can't see much of the battlefield because it is now overgrown with trees. You can, however, see an olive tree to which Wellington allegedly tied his horse.

Unless you're referring to Jaime Maria Busacco, the Andalusian flyweight who defeated "Kid" Bronson over 12 rounds at the Cadiz arena in 1907 ... but I made that up.

I meant Barossa! Brain went Portuguese briefly. Anyhow, the plan is now to visit Albuera, Badajoz (where we will stay) and also visit the Roman ruins at Merida.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jesus amor
Spain
barcelona
España
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you try to go up until Ciudad Rodrigo.

a very intersting siege happened there.

there's in Salamanca.

have a very good trip !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chus1964 wrote:
you try to go up until Ciudad Rodrigo.

a very intersting siege happened there.

there's in Salamanca.

have a very good trip !!

Thanks for advice, but I was in both Cuidad Rodrigo and Salamanca a couple of years ago! Both are excellent sites to visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
uncas22es wrote:
Hello:

Seeing this thread too late, but when I did the research for my Bailen game, I realised that just at the northern end of that battlefield is the site of Las Navas de Tolosa, one of the major Spanish victories during the Reconquista (at the end of the northern spur in the map below). So you'd sort of get two birds with one stone. However, note that Jaen (about 20 hexes off-map) is about 40km from the actual Bailen battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.