Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Upon walking in the door at my local Meetup last night, I was invited to play Orleans. It was my first time playing the game and probably my first time even seeing it. I ended up enjoying the gameplay quite a bit! But for me, unfortunately the theme falls flat, dry, and stale.

So, I enjoy the gameplay, but not the theme. Having said that, does anyone know if there's another game out there of a different theme with similar mechanics? Or perhaps I can beg TMG to re-theme this game into anything else, but...

Any other theme, except if it includes :
- Agriculture
- Anything to do with the Mediterranean
- Grass or wheat fields, or cottages
- Traders, farmers, or carpenters
- Silk or perfumes
- Mages, dragons, wizards, or trolls (Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings excluded)
- Zombies
- A pastel color palette

Anything else in a new theme would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game for the medieval theme (and good reviews), heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that comes immediately to mind is Hyperborea.

Another "bag builder", if that is one of the mechanics you are looking for--but totally different theme/setting. It does feature 'mages', but more of a 'techno-mage' vs, 'high sorcery' such as Gandalf or Merlin.

Very interesting game, many options for advancing your culture, plays well from 2-6 players, seems balanced at all counts. Variable player powers (or not if you choose not to use them), modular board, hidden areas to explore and useful things to find. Some extremely light combat, area control, and variable (or not) end game conditions, too.

Everyone I've played with has really enjoyed Hyperborea, one player immediately went out to find their own copy.

A new expansion is due out soon, possibly yet this year. For some reason this had a ridiculously high MSRP when it first came out. In the two years since Hyperborea came out the price has dropped significantly.

I picked up a used copy for cheap, but even at retail this has been less than $45. I mention it because if it picks up any buzz from the expansion being released, prices might jump. But if you don't care about used, you might find a good deal.

Hope that helps!
~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OchreOgre wrote:
The one that comes immediately to mind is Hyperborea.

Steve,

Thanks for that! I took a quick look at the Hyperborea page. It looks interesting. So now I've got a few of Hyperboria's game videos lined-up on my watch list.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to help! *salute*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Automobiles is another bag builder but you're racing cars around a track. Its a pretty good game. I would probably put it closer to dominion as a deckbuilder though rather than orleans with the worker placement euro though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retheme Orleans to a "fresh" theme, like......CTHULHU!
Gathering cultists with diferent abilities that make diferent magics traveling the world spreading corruption and gaining adepts to the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.