Subject: Teaching at game night: where to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
So I may be teaching this game at our game night soon, but I'm not sure where to start. Everyone there is fairly game savvy (but not with deck builders), so I'm thinking that year 4 would be okay. Either myself or my GF will be playing, so there will be someone experienced available.

Anyone else have experiences to share with teaching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just started from Game 1, even though we're all pretty experienced. We just like to learn a bit at a time.

If I could do it over again, I would start with 2, since nothing really changes from 1 to 2.

If you want more meat on the game from the beginning, go with 3 as suggested. I know the dice from Game 4 don't seem like a big change, but in my experience, every second counts when teaching a new game.

Good luck!

Edit: I glossed over the part about the group not having much experience with deck-building. In that case I more strongly encourage you to start at 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#CenterOfTheSpiral

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
#CenterOfTheSpiral

For those not familiar with that reference, it means "start with #1".

I would leave it up to the group. Some might want the "full experience", perhaps because they are thinking of getting the game to play with non-gamers. If everyone is OK playing a couple simple gateway sessions, then #1 and #2 won't take that long. I could see starting with #2, although I think if people want the full experience, I would favor starting with #1.

If people don't care about the tutorial system or are uncomfortable playing a simple game, then starting at #3 is a very reasonable choice. I haven't played #4 yet, so I can't offer an opinion as to whether it would be a better or worse point than #3. However, #3 is kind of a straightforward deckbuilding experience, so everything in it would be applicable to Ascension, Legendary, and Star Realms. It sounds like #4 adds some mechanisms more unique to HP so it would be less of a general learning experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Game 3, or Game 2 if they're really unfamiliar with deck-building. We found our two-player games took about 45 minutes each, so depending on how far into the challenge you want to get in one night, that might be a factor. My wife and I started at Game 1 just so we could get the whole experience and time wasn't an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest #2.

Game 1 & 2 are virtually identical which is a bit of a let down if you are hoping for a legacy-like experience.

Game 3 and 4 however offer some interesting changes so the 2, 3, 4 experience is a nice flow.

I solo played 1-3 to experience this and then decided to start with 2 with my family and they loved it and are hooked. We're currently on #6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.