Support:

Alan Kingsley
United States
Cheshire
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'll be playing and teaching GoT on Friday to a table of people who are also first timers. When you are teaching the game, what do you say about table talk? How do you introduce it? Do you set ground rules?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reuhl
United States
Yorkville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you speaking to alliances or people trying to speak when you are explaining the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
1st. Pick the people you play with. If you are surrounded by narrowminded people, it's better not to even get started.

2nd. Make them watch the Game of Thrones tutorial (around 20-30 minutes) at home.

3rd. Go through the game rules really quick and explain the basics of movement, ships and the point of conquest.

4th. Go through each player's house and give them a hint on their house cards. Like how to play roose, or patch, or doran, or balon, you get it?

5th. Go through each player's strategy for the house (something generic) like which castles he has to take in order to win.

6th. It's better if you play as a "game master" running the game without participating, giving valuable game advise but being objective, so you don't make somebody win while the others remain clueless about the game.

7th. Explain ports often overlooked but ports are important after all this is called Game of Ships. Explain ships also in dept.

8th. Go through the random events in deck 1 and explain clash of kings. Mustering, Supply and Special orders.

9th. Make sure to explain to the guys that fighting 2 fronts is automatic loss, you simply can't fend off two people that surround you, so you should change alliances and negotiate stuff trough the game. Make sure to note that playing this as a team game, is not the way to play it.

10th. This I suggest for all games, when setup is done involve all people in the game setup, like you sort these cards, you these, you give out the tokens, make them involved and answer questions about the components. Start explaining the rules after the game is set and give out some examples as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kingsley
United States
Cheshire
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for being unclear. I'm talking about in-game table talk (like alliances). I feel like I can explain every rule in the game about orders, combat, mustering troops, etc and still miss a massive part of what makes the game unique. Since I haven't gotten to play before either, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gunslinger81 wrote:
Sorry for being unclear. I'm talking about in-game table talk (like alliances). I feel like I can explain every rule in the game about orders, combat, mustering troops, etc and still miss a massive part of what makes the game unique. Since I haven't gotten to play before either, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants a bit.

I find that the best way to explain table talk is to explain that it's allowed, and then do it yourself a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
gunslinger81 wrote:

I find that the best way to explain table talk is to explain that it's allowed, and then do it yourself a lot.

"+1" ...yeah, if it takes much more than this, get a new set of players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.