7,103 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Neil Willis
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
So I saw that the new rules version on the OSS site was updated to version 1.1. But the illustration of combat and fire support range on page 15 is still 100% wrong. There is a new bit of text there that indicates that the fire support base is actually out of range for the attack example used, but there is still no correction for the patrol boat or the fleet - both are out of range and, for that matter, the firebase is still being used in the morale calculations for the attack example. Someone simply needs to fix the illustration. The patrol boat has to be adjacent and the fleet and firebase both need to be within 2 hexes of the target hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Compton
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Sir:

14.1.1 Patrol boats have an intrinsic morale of two (ARVN) or
three (U.S.) if they attack or defend by themselves. Otherwise
they add one to the die roll of any Allied units that they
are stacked with or adjacent to in combat.

In the illustration, the patrol boat IS adjacent to the allied unit.

14.2 The US fleet is never affected by combat results. In addition to
supply interdiction (see Sea Movement) and amphibious capabilities, the
fleet can act as a firebase with a two hex range to affect combat within
its zone of influence.

The Fleet in the illustration IS 2 hexes from the allied unit, therefor acts as a firebase when it is defending.

Because both are acting as a firebase, the additional blurb covers them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Willis
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thank you for the clarification on the patrol boat. That really is helpful.

I still don't understand how the fleet or the firebase matter in the actual combat example being illustrated. Because it is NOT a defensive combat - the allied force is attacking - neither the fleet nor the firebase would actually be in range to support the attack because they are not within range of the target hex.

In other words, the actual picture does not match the example of combat being described at all. If that is true (which it appears to be according to the rules) then I don't understand why a different illustration isn't being used. The rulebook could just as likely use Phu Vinh instead of Long Xuyen for the defending red forces, and set up the attacking allied units correctly with the correct ATTACKING fire support ranges.

I mean, it just isn't a good illustration, is it? I think it should be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.