Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried FFG sleeves, but they looked like they'd bend at the corners. Mayday sleeves are a tiny bit smaller, and they fit the insert better. Once you sleeve the poker-sized cards, there's no room to sleeve the big cards.

I think you can sleeve the big cards with trimmed-down Dixit sleeves during play, but I have not tried.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Møller-Poulsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shouldn't be necessary to sleeve CC, but I understand your urge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have not played the game yet, I'm pretty puzzled by your opinion. If any of the cards in the envelopes are significantly marked, they might be seen when they are pulled out of the envelopes. Also, lots of the other cards which reveal the timing of Klein's attack and when a search will be successful could all impact player choices if the cards were marked. This is a deduction game with a relatively small card pool, the very kind of game that I am most likely to sleeve.

I think the tone of the game would change if one of the Klein attacks cards had an identifying mark on the back that would let you know exactly when Klein might strike. Perhaps I will feel differently after I play.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Hans is saying that most people choose to sleeve game cards if there's a heavy amount of shuffling and dealing, like a CCG or deckbuilder. Since this game is neither of those, it doesn't seem that necessary to sleeve. The cards aren't likely to acquire identifying marks through normal game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think before the game arrived I read somewhere, maybe in one of the Kickstarter comments that the cards tended to wear at the edges and become marked. That's why I sleeved them instantly.

If I can remember where I saw it, then I will go ahead and post that information here.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Any luck with finding the best solution the standard CCG sleeves?

Still keeping my cards sealed as did not have time to play anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mayday sleeves work for the normal cards. The Swan Panasia Dixit sleeves fit all the big cards but the reference cards. The Dixit sleeves are a bit wide, which might be OK, but they are too long. You'll need to sleeve the cards just before play or you'll need to trim the sleeve length for the Dixit sleeves.

I'm not sure that even with proper sleeves everything will fit in the tin if you sleeve the large cards. I'll report back if I try trimming them.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Wow - thanks for the great sumary.

I was a bit puzzled by the mention of FFG sleeves bending the corner as they are the loosest ones but now I will sleep better tonight

Once again thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
Wow - thanks for the great sumary.

I was a bit puzzled by the mention of FFG sleeves bending the corner as they are the loosest ones but now I will sleep better tonight

Once again thanks!

FFG standard card sleeves are longer than Mayday sleeves. Generally, plastic inserts are not friendly with FFG sleeves unless the publisher planned for those sleeves. So if you sleeve with FFG sleeves, they'll be too long, won't quite fit, and the corners of the sleeves will bend and might take the cards with them. The Mayday sleeves fit in the insert well for the standard cards. The Dixit sleeves are fine for the big cards during play, but they might be trouble to fit in the tin.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:

FFG standard card sleeves are longer than Mayday sleeves. Generally, plastic inserts are not friendly with FFG sleeves unless the publisher planned for those sleeves. So if you sleeve with FFG sleeves, they'll be too long, won't quite fit, and the corners of the sleeves will bend and might take the cards with them...

Sorry I have no clue what you are talking about. I am sleeving the game right now with the FF (gray) Standard American (63.5 x 88 mm) card sleeves and they fit just fine. In fact better than they fit most cards in my opinion. For some they may be a bit long on top, but I think they are just fine. I prefer a little overhang vs an exact fit, or too short on top.

Now as for all this mangling of corners etc... well I am at a loss. Are you trying to sleeve with something other than the gary FF sleeves? Maybe you are putting the cards in sideways??? That would make sense and I'd have to agree lol.

I use FF sleeves on almost everything. I have never had any issues, unless they are the wrong type/size of sleeve for the particular card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerod,

The poker-sized game cards fit in FFG Standard sleeves, but not FFG Standard American sleeves. You quoted the right dimensions, but the wrong style name. Standard and Standard American are different sizes.

See here for details:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-fligh...

As to the insert fit, I thought I must have been hallucinating, but I was not. My insert appears to be slightly tapered, so that if you put an FFG standard playing card sleeve on the bottom, then it is too long and curls up slightly. If you put the sleeved cards on top of the game envelopes, then some of this problem may go away, and the sleeved cards may fit even in FFG sleeves. The Mayday sleeves fit cleanly in all parts of the central portion of the insert.

Just for future reference, FFG may cut their standard sleeves up to 2.5 mm longer than Mayday premium sleeves, so in tight inserts like the one for Splendor they are easier to fit back in the insert in Mayday sleeves without bending the sleeves/cards.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I goofed on labeling the "American" part of that post.

As for the 2nd part, I thought you were talking about just fitting them in the sleeve itself. I get now that you meant after sleeving that they may bend if placed at the bottom of the insert etc. I guess I just misunderstood. I placed mine on top of the game envelopes anyway, so they should be fine. I'll have to check and see if that makes a difference or not. Seems ok so far. But that makes sense now.

Edit: In your very first post it wasn't clear and you made it sound like just sleeving the cards caused this. So even after reading the clarification I didn't catch the part about when placed in the insert (at the very bottom).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerod, sorry for the lack of clarity. Because FFG cuts their standard sleeves a little long, in tight inserts, like the one in some versions of Splendor, the sleeves are too long and curl. With one sleeve it's not a problem, but with a stack of them in a tight space it can curl the corners of the cards. This can happen particularly when the card insert is curved in the corners instead of squared, further cramping the space by an extra millimeter.

Just for the record, the FFG sleeves looked only a sliver too long for the bottom of the insert. My test was not exhaustive: I just tested a couple of cards and sleeves and then decided on the Mayday sleeves for this game. The Swan Panasia sleeves are the bigger concern (literally).

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I am not sure if I'm going to sleeve the bigger cards. I don't think they need it. I can't remember if there are any that would ruin the game with any identifying marks. However, I do have some leftover sleeves from Dixit. I suppose if they fit, with or without a trimming then maybe I will. Might as well use them I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.