Subject: I miss something ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I'm wondering... Martians looks good but i have some questions, if you can help me i will be pleased.

- Birth rate token : i have one every turn and if i have developed birth-rate management technology i have one more, so Turn 2 i got 3 tokens, so i can use my 4th colonists token... But what happen after that ? Every turn i put useless Birth rate token on the board for me ? Again and again ... It's strange... Did i miss something ? Thank you.

- Another thing : if i develop medecine and CO2 converter, i don't have to care about disease or oxygen anymore... easy... No more token O2 and disease for the all the game... It seems to be too easy and something everybody do all the time at the begining... I'm worried about that... No real strategy, i do it, no more problem with oxygen and illness, every game i do the same ? Please tell me i'm wrong...

- Strategy : So it's easy to remove O2 and illness problem, quickly my birth-rate token are useless, everywhere i can find 3 victory points, so i'm wondering... Where is the strategy ? Do i have to think ? (sorry my english is really bad), i'm wondering... it seems that i'm going to do always the same thing and whatever i will do after it will work... No real strategy needed. Please tell me i'm wrong...

Thanks a lot for your help, i want ti buy the game, so i think i'm wrong but... i don't understand why i should be wrong ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philippe,

No problem...unfortunately, RedImp's desire to push the game toward production left little to no time for developers like me who offered to review and edit the rules to make them as clear, cogent, and comprehensible as possible. I can't answer your question because for every one of them you raised, I had another 2-3 myself.

We'll have to see what's actually produced/printed and once we get the game (months after Essen folks receive theirs angry) come on back and we can discuss, at length.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Damn ! I can say that : Damn ! Like in movies

So 3 questions makes 6 more... argh... I can buy the game right now, and backers have to wait... Rules not read enought... OK... arhgg... this games seems good but RedImp not really...

I think i'm going to cancel my preorder to the retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Argghh. i don't want to cancel... gulp Any help ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Stratton
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that RedImp have done a terrible job with this kickstarter. They appear to have rushed out the game for Essen despite concerns with the quality of the rules (particularly translation issues). Communication has also been a problem, as RedImp does not respond to kickstarter backer questions and concerns. Personally, I regret backing this game and would recommend that others avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your answer... Hum, so i will really cancel my preorder if there is no solution... It's not a cheaper game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Birth rate tokens - You get one at the end of the round (after 3-4 turns) only if You have no Oxygen, Disease and Hunger Tokens (in coop and semi in all quarters, in competitive in Your quarter). So in the 4th round You will get an additional turn (sooner with the tech)
Edit:
Also at some point Your Colonist can die, You lose a turn (of Your choice) in the following rounds. So with those Birth Tokens You can recover it.

Medicine and CO2 tech look like a must have, but in coop and semi You can develop it once per group. In competitive mode each player can develop them, but that's 3VP per tech for a total of 6VP , while delivering O2 and Medicine is 2+3=5VP each round. Also developing one tech cost 3time, thus ending Your turn.

As for the strategy in our games there were some similarities between them. But lets be honest, pretty much every worker placement/engine building game has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's kinda like asking if in Agricola there's no other strategy then expanding your house and growing your family imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
First thanks a lot to answer, i understand you have a lot of thing to do right now.

Birth rate tokens : In the french rules it's not so clear, so OK, at the end of the Round (not turn)... But if i develop the birth tech and have no O2 or disease token at the end of round 1, i get 1 token, begining round 2, i get another one (tech). End round 2 : get another one, so i get 3 tokens. Begining round 3 : i have my 4th colonists token ! And, because of the tech get one more token... Useless... no more colonists token... End of round 3, i can have one more (2), begining the 4th, one more, again in the end (4), and again in round 5 (comp) so i put token again and again, but it's useless... It's weird... have to put token on board but with no purpose... I did a mistake ? I don't think so... Because :

You say Token can regain a dead colonist, great ! great idea ! Thematic, strategic, but...
In the french and english rules we can read exactly the opposite ! When a colonist is dead, is dead to the end of the game ! So... One of the rules' mistake ? A big one...
So Birth rate token can be usefull for it, now i know that... but i can't have died colonist if i develop CO2 converter... So there is a way to put useless token on the board... it remains weird to do an action for nothing.

Fight all the game against disease and CO2 (O2 production) it's great, but only with 2 tech i don't have these problems anymore... Isn't it too easy ? OK there is the VP, right, but it's not so thematic then and more mathematic...

For the strategy it's only because i'm beginning to be worried about the game, it's very difficult to know without playing the game, and i love worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your're right...more or less. But You won't make it from the get go.
To develop the tech You need to build The Lab - that's 1time for mining Regolit, +1time build. So You have 1 left and that's not enough. You can make it next turn, if no other player occupies 1st Lab space (other spaces add +1time to the cost). But at the beginning of the 3rd turn you will have to first retrieve Your meeples from the board (1time) and with 2time left - no new tech.
In the meantime, if You did't built wind farm/solar panels You'll be short on energy

And having 4 colonist (turns) in a round also increases O2 and hunger token You have to get rid off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
"And having 4 colonist (turns) in a round also increases O2 and hunger token You have to get rid off. "

surprise

Another thing not write in the rules... When we get the 4th colonists we have to put a second hunger token but not oxygen... 2nd big mistake in rules...

Do we have to put another disease token too ? (say yes ! )

- Use birth token after death
- 4th colonist => 2 hunger and 2 O2

That change a lot of things... And i'm really happy to read this ! (and more to read strategic explanation in your previous message, that make me sure to buy the game).

So we need quickly new rules, only english first if you don't have time, because, Birth after death and 2 hunger + 2 O2... It's huge... i'm sure there is other mistakes !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad :/
I was following the old rules. There's no additional oxygen to add with the 4th colonist.

Edit:
But in my plays I rarely had the resources to get the 4th colonist.
I've written 1st round session report, You can check it the forum/session section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
OK, but we still can "rebirth" a dead colonists ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it in the latest rules either :/ sorry for that.

But essentially collecting 6 Birth tokens would be hard.
Let's say You managed to develop Birth control in the 1st round:
1st round - Develop Tech + all tokens taken care off (very unlikely no to get this one)
2nd round - You start with 2 tokens + 0/1 token (some tokens left / all clear)
3rd round - Opt1: You have 3 tokens, get a 4th Colonist + 0/1 token
Opt2: You have 4 tokens, get a 4th Colonist and a 1 token left + 0/1 token
4th round - Opt1.1: Start with 1 tokens = no benefit
Opt1.2: Start with 2 tokens = no benefit
Opt2.1: Start with 2 tokens = no benefit
Opt2.2: Start with 3 tokens = population increase
If Your Colonist die, that's 1 less token in a given round.
So if he dies in 2nd round that's Opt1 in the following rounds.

Not to mention in the meantime You have Event and Weather Cards, and scenario specific conditions / competitive race to collect VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
So, before the new rules we had to get 02 token with 4th colonists and we can "rebirth" a colonist. It was thematic and make the game more difficult, it was good, why change that ?

I hope because it was too tough... and now the game keep some difficulties, like Agricola, we want to do things but we can't and choices are really hard. But even we can't have a second time 3 birth tokens, we're going to have 1 or 2, but useless, i never played a game where i earn something with no purpose, really useless... It's weird... So the idea to have new colonist after death with 3 birth token was really good..

I'm waiting for reviews from Essen... Always wondering... But again really thank you for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, to be honest that's just words. In terms of mechanic there's no difference between getting a new Colonist and "re-birthing" a dead one. Because if one of them dies that's 1 less birth token (for not getting rid of all the tokens in quarters) and with 5 tokens You can make only one new Colonist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
I don't want to open a new thread so i just ask here a question, because i never had answer :

Contract cards, for competitive mode, do we can see all of these available or only one an reveal a new one every time someone do the contract ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chaps31 wrote:
I don't want to open a new thread so i just ask here a question, because i never had answer :

Contract cards, for competitive mode, do we can see all of these available or only one an reveal a new one every time someone do the contract ?

On page 7 under setup for competitive the rulebook reads "The players shuffle commission cards and place them randomly, next to the board, faceup". So yes, my understanding is that you put all of them faceup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
It makes sense, everything else is face up so these cards too. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.