Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho the forum!

The first scenario ("In the Clutches of the Picts") has 2 Exploding Orb cards scattered around in the chests, but all of the huts have flaps on the doors which hinder movement (cost +1 movement point). Those flaps might be considered to interfere with ranged attacks/LOS, severely reducing the utility of those Orbs.

Do your hut flaps block LOS (e.g. for throwing your Exploding Orbs or casting Lightning Bolt) or not?

Mine, so far, have not blocked LOS, but i think that was probably wrong of me. The scenario doesn't mention that they block LOS, only that they hinder movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Ho the forum!
Do hut flaps block LOS (e.g. for throwing your Exploding Orbs or casting Lightning Bolt) or not?

Yes hut flaps block LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
Yes hut flaps block LOS.

Yeeeaaah, i figured as much :/. Too late. "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

i think i need to place door markers on those to remind me the flaps are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, using "real life" comparisons answers most questions.

In this case: Let's say I have a handgun. Can I aim at a zombie on the other side of a curtain/flap ? No, since I cannot see him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:

In this case: Let's say I have a handgun. Can I aim at a zombie on the other side of a curtain/flap ? No, since I cannot see him.

Depends on the type of flap: bead-style (think 1970's era) flaps don't fully block LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Roolz wrote:

Depends on the type of flap: bead-style (think 1970's era) flaps don't fully block LOS.

I've never seen a hut with bead or gossamer flap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Roolz wrote:

I've never seen a hut with bead or gossamer flap.

Have you ever actually seen a genuine hut?

i haven't - i have no idea what sorts of door flaps they use. But if i had a hut of my own, it would have bead-string flaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
But if i had a hut of my own, it would have bead-string flaps.

Can't argue with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The 'rule of cool' could apply here: would it be cool to roll a grenade into a hut before jumping in to mop up Spec Ops style? Yeah it would! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
The 'rule of cool' could apply here: would it be cool to roll a grenade into a hut before jumping in to mop up Spec Ops style? Yeah it would! cool

That would actually make good sense for the Exploding Orbs, even if bows and spells can't get LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:

If there's a "grenade/bomb" card in Conan, I'd say it would definitely qualify !
More than a hut bead flap, IMHO (the latter would qualify if there were pict minions with the special abilities "impervious to cold & rain" and "no sense of privacy").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I must have missed the memo on the science behind the exploding orb

Anyway, we play tent flaps blocked LOS, but it does not always make sense (and the LOS rules themselves with the sorts of things that block it, are rather ambigious).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can Hadrathus teleport in, throw an orb into the air and teleport out before it lands and explodes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
Can Hadrathus teleport in, throw an orb into the air and teleport out before it lands and explodes?

i'd have to give that one a "no", simply because the rules don't account for interrupting a single action (throwing/dropping/placing) the orb and resolving its effect (boom). Nice try, though .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j s
msg tools
I guess you can spend one movement point to lift the flapand then, when the damsel in distress is not inside, take another action to throw the orb in through the opening.
Drop flap, spend a moment in prayer holding it closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeronimoes wrote:
I guess you can spend one movement point to lift the flapand then, when the damsel in distress is not inside, take another action to throw the orb in through the opening.

If i'm not mistaken, there is no mention of her having hit points, so an Exploding Orb won't kill her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
jeronimoes wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, there is no mention of her having hit points, so an Exploding Orb won't kill her!

Monolith answered this on their homepage in the french scenario comments.

Point de vie de la princesse : Le magicien découvre la princesse dans une hutte avec des amis pictes, peut-il faire son sort d’éclair sur la case ? D’un point de vue RP comme nous n’avons pas vu de règles sur cela, nous avons décidé que le sors ne pouvez être lancé, car il risquerait de la blesser.

Point of life of the Princess: The wizard discovers the princess in a hut with Pictish friends, can he do his lightning spell on the box? From a PR point of view as we saw no rules on this, we decided that the go can not be started because it might hurt her.

http://www.monolithedition.com/conan/dans-les-griffes-des-pi...

It's not allowed to hurt her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:

but I can certainly throw a grenade through it if I know the monster is in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Matlock
United States
Depew
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trying to throw an orb through a hut flap is a really bad idea in real life. The flap would tend to catch the orb, if not roll it right back at you. Fun experiment, hang a blanket in a door way and throw small objects at it to see how well it works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
starnite_iv wrote:
Trying to throw an orb through a hut flap is a really bad idea in real life. The flap would tend to catch the orb, if not roll it right back at you. Fun experiment, hang a blanket in a door way and throw small objects at it to see how well it works

In real life we do not have Conan

I am actually ok with the rule, but I was thinking more on the lines of being next to the door and just roll it inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
starnite_iv wrote:

In real life we do not have Conan

I am actually ok with the rule, but I was thinking more on the lines of being next to the door and just roll it inside.
How do you know we did not have Conan in our pre-history?

My question is not about the orb (hey, the flap costs MP so it blocks thrown things, not just the orb) but with movement. Can a figure hold the flap open for other figures - to reduce movement costs?

I said no because it was just so much easier to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
My question is not about the orb (hey, the flap costs MP so it blocks thrown things, not just the orb) but with movement. Can a figure hold the flap open for other figures - to reduce movement costs?

I said no because it was just so much easier to deal with.

i think that was an excellent decision. Had you decided otherwise, your next question likely would have been, "can a character in a passive/cautious Stance hold the hut flap open for someone else?" That way lies madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Do your hut flaps block LOS (e.g. for throwing your Exploding Orbs or casting Lightning Bolt) or not?

I swear I remember this answered during the KS campaign.
The answer I remember is the hut flaps block LOS, except if you are adjacent. (Think of it as holding the flap aside as you shoot/throw inside.)
I can't imagine playing this scenario as the heroes if you absolutely cannot shoot into the huts, it makes Hadrathus nearly useless in that case. I also didn't apply the connect-the-dots base rule on LOS for adjacent areas either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

I swear I remember this answered during the KS campaign.
The answer I remember is the hut flaps block LOS, except if you are adjacent. (Think of it as holding the flap aside as you shoot/throw inside.)

That may have been, but if you go back and look at some of the 2-year-old plays they changed/streamlined a few of the rules since then. e.g. IIRC (but my memory is far from perfect), in Hunting the Tigress you could (in the old days) fall of the ship and have to swim back to safety. In the current rules a failure by a Minion or Ally kills them, whereas a Hero or Leader simply fails to jump and stays in their current zone.

My point being only that they might have changed flap LOS along the way. The current statement (from way on up in this thread) is that flaps block LOS (but, yes, there's lots of debate about "but what about when...").

ampoliros wrote:
I can't imagine playing this scenario as the heroes if you absolutely cannot shoot into the huts, it makes Hadrathus nearly useless in that case.

i didn't even think about flaps blocking LOS until my 2nd or 3rd session. i had coughassumedcough that the scenario text would have said so if they block LOS. i truly pity the players who will grab the retail box (with its v1 rulebook), go home with it, and not have access to BGG for these clarifications - they're going to be playing a whole different game than those who hang out here :/.

ampoliros wrote:
I also didn't apply the connect-the-dots base rule on LOS for adjacent areas either.

That's probably not a bad idea, especially for area attacks (where it could be easily justified, IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.