Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it that fun again is still accepting pre-orders for scythe and solarius mission? Do they not have their pre-orders capped at a certain amount of orders like all other major retailers do? If they don't this could cause very unreasonable delays for their customers who are expecting pre-orders sooner rather than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question, I'm hoping someone from FunAgain logs in--despite the Essen craze--to address. My pre-order of Solarius Mission was labeled September, but so far, no word. I don't mind a delay, it's not like there are not literally thousands of other games to play, but being contacted about it would be nice. "Hi Steve, received your pre-order for SM, we're working on it and hope to have it to you in October." That'd be swell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my somewhat limited experience, they oversell and do not always get the allotment they think they will. Which given they bill themselves as the place to go to get the rare, hot games, is a major pain in the ass.

Combine that with their new policy of not even holding items that release more than thirty days apart even when they don't know when the preorders will come in, and then charging you extra shipping to ship them separately . . . not worth the hassle for me.

They have plenty of good deals that I'll take them up on but they're the bottom of the barrel for preorders compared to their major competitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really unfortunate. We have had similar experiences with them. I was wondering why they don't charge your card when you check out with a pre-order. I imagine now that it's because of all the cancellations on the orders because they're not shipped in a timely way. There's still listing scythe as in stock for pre orders along with solarius mission. Jamie from stegmeier has already said that the October allotment is sold out for pre-orders and spielworxx that solarius mission is a very small print run of a thousand copies from what I understand. I hope more people will voice their frustrations with this. It's really misleading for a company to oversell like they do. Especially because they list the expected availability dates along with the pre-orders and most of the people don't have a shot of coming close to those dates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
dylanbradshaw wrote:
That's really unfortunate. We have had similar experiences with them. I was wondering why they don't charge your card when you check out with a pre-order. I imagine now that it's because of all the cancellations on the orders because they're not shipped in a timely way. There's still listing scythe as in stock for pre orders along with solarius mission. Jamie from stegmeier has already said that the October allotment is sold out for pre-orders and spielworxx that solarius mission is a very small print run of a thousand copies from what I understand. I hope more people will voice their frustrations with this. It's really misleading for a company to oversell like they do. Especially because they list the expected availability dates along with the pre-orders and most of the people don't have a shot of coming close to those dates.

Good to know as I rarely use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain usually acquires a fair bit of stock from Spielworxx as they are generally the primary American seller of their games here...at least initially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
How is it that fun again is still accepting pre-orders for scythe and solarius mission? Do they not have their pre-orders capped at a certain amount of orders like all other major retailers do? If they don't this could cause very unreasonable delays for their customers who are expecting pre-orders sooner rather than later.

We work with Spielworxx in the US and have plenty of stock coming in to cover pre-orders.

For Scythe I believe we also have enough stock coming to cover our pre-orders.

When we know we're oversold (or getting close) then we turn off the pre-order option. Until then we keep it open, we also fill all pre-orders in the order they were received.

You can always ask customer service questions about particular titles and they are happy to tell you what they know. However I will warn you that often times customer thing that we as retailers know more than we actually do. So we can't always tell you exact information because we also don't know the answer.

-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Interesting question, I'm hoping someone from FunAgain logs in--despite the Essen craze--to address. My pre-order of Solarius Mission was labeled September, but so far, no word. I don't mind a delay, it's not like there are not literally thousands of other games to play, but being contacted about it would be nice. "Hi Steve, received your pre-order for SM, we're working on it and hope to have it to you in October." That'd be swell.

So like a lot of international shipments it's hard to tell exactly when it will be ready. Initially we thought it was September then it slipped into October. Now, mostly because of port congestion it will be early November.

We try to keep the product pages of each game as up to date as we can with information we know. You should have also received an e-mail confirmation of your order when you placed it.

-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
In my somewhat limited experience, they oversell and do not always get the allotment they think they will. Which given they bill themselves as the place to go to get the rare, hot games, is a major pain in the ass.

Combine that with their new policy of not even holding items that release more than thirty days apart even when they don't know when the preorders will come in, and then charging you extra shipping to ship them separately . . . not worth the hassle for me.

They have plenty of good deals that I'll take them up on but they're the bottom of the barrel for preorders compared to their major competitors.

Unfortunately we struggle as do most retailer with getting the allocation that we order from various sources. But unfortunately a lot of that is out of our control. Trust me we'd like to get 100% of everything we order so we can pass it on.

The policy you mention is not new and has been our standard policy for a long time. However in practice it is rarely used UNLESS there was a situation where you ordered a couple items in stock and then a couple items that were due far far in advance, say 4, 5, 6 months out. Even then we don't just charge you for splitting but instead ask you what you'd like to do.

-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:

So the not charging your card at the time of pre-order thing is something we've also never done. I will admit that as a customer I don't understand why I would let some company take my money for an product that is due later. By later I mean maybe more than a week.

We don't want to take your money until we know we have something for you and it's ready to leave our warehouse.

Again from the information that we have no we will have enough Scythe to cover our pre-orders, and I'm 100% positive that we'll have enough Solarius Mission (and North American Railways), barring it being destroyed in transit to us.

-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I'm really surprised that Funagain will have more copies of Scythe to supply than any other major retailer (I'm assuming). How come you are getting more copies than everyone else that limited their preorders months ago? That just seems odd to me.. not trying to be rude. Anyways, thank you for being concerned enough to respond to us. It means a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the charging of the card, IMO I feel like charging the card gives the feeling of a more binding contract and obligation between the company and the consumer. The preorder system at Funagain feels less binding to me and I really wonder if that is because of the lack of knowledge on Funagain's part of amount of stock and time of shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
Wow I'm really surprised that Funagain will have more copies of Scythe to supply than any other major retailer (I'm assuming). How come you are getting more copies than everyone else that limited their preorders months ago? That just seems odd to me.. not trying to be rude. Anyways, thank you for being concerned enough to respond to us. It means a lot.

I have no idea how many copies anybody else is getting. I just know what we're probably getting. I also know what our pre-orders look like. So since I know those 2 numbers with some varying degree of certainty we make the call.

If I thought, with any degree of certainty that we were close to overselling what we'll be getting we wouldn't be taking pre-orders anymore. In the end might we oversell some copies? Maybe, because random stuff does happen we might only get 5% of what we ordered. But all my data says otherwise.

-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
For the charging of the card, IMO I feel like charging the card gives the feeling of a more binding contract and obligation between the company and the consumer. The preorder system at Funagain feels less binding to me and I really wonder if that is because of the lack of knowledge on Funagain's part of amount of stock and time of shipment.

Besides feeling, on a personal level, scummy to me (as I mentioned above I would NEVER let a company take my money for something unless it was shipping to me "soon"), it is against our merchant service agreement with credit card companies to take money too far in advance.

Any retailer getting any amount of stock for any item has NOTHING to do if we've taken money for something or not. If I know we can sell something we're going to try as hard as we can to get it so we can make those sales. Because you know, it's literally what we do.

Let me posit this to you. Let's say you order something from Best Company Ever and they charge your card for an item they expect 9 months from now. In 8 months Best Company Ever goes out of business. You are now out of your money and have no recourse to get it back, except perhaps suing the owner of Best Company Ever in small claims court in that person's home state, because your credit card claim time has long since passed. Plus there's no bank account for the credit card company to levy against anymore.

I also think a lot of consumers think there is a lot more transparency and knowledge when it comes to supply chain (at least in the hobby board game industry) then actually exists. Logistics and shipping is hard, and things happen and all the parties involved just honestly don't know what's going on until it happens.

-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I recognize I know very little about the industry side of this. I just recognized that your company has unique policies in regard to preorders than the other companies I've dealt with. Taking the time to explain them means a lot. The confusion is also caused by publishers I.e. Spielworxx mentioning that the Solarius print run was very limited and Stone Maier stating similar things about Scythe's "October" run selling out quickly. Hopefully too many gamers will be spared the dissapoinent of delays and preorders won't be cancelled. I imagine it can be frustrating not having much control over some of the logistics. But I trust you all are doing your best and that doing your best is obviously in your best interest so that Funagain can stay in business!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.