Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Petry
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to figure out the meaning of the name of this game. The last part is easy -- "from/of Thebes", but the "Jenseits" bit has me stumped.

I checked out the excellent http://dict.leo.org/ , but none of the suggested translations seem to make much sense in this context. The best I can come up with is "Beyond Thebes", or "On the other side of Thebes".

Is this correct, or can any native German speakers suggest a more appropriate translation for this title in English? I have a feeling I'm missing something here...

I heard Jay Tummelson say that the English/multilingual edition would also be called "Jenseits von Theben", so maybe it's untranslateable! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you are right: Beyond Thebes. In that interview, Jay said he thought it was some guy's name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
East of Thebes

I think the best literally translation would be "Beyond Thebes". But the german name sounds very similar to the name of the movie "Jenseits von Eden" (intentionally, i assume), whose original title was "East of Eden".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct! The name means East of Thebes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the more usual term in a German Bible for the country where Adam and Eve settle down after they were thrown out of Paradise is "jenseits von Eden", so the translator of the Steinbeck novel quoted the German Bible. Maybe the translation changed in the last decades, but they left the title of the novel as it was.

BTW, a silly name for the game, which is beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Petry
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
East of Thebes

I think the best literally translation would be "Beyond Thebes". But the german name sounds very similar to the name of the movie "Jenseits von Eden" (intentionally, i assume), whose original title was "East of Eden".

duchamp wrote:
I think the more usual term in a German Bible for the country where Adam and Eve settle down after they were thrown out of Paradise is "jenseits von Eden", so the translator of the Steinbeck novel quoted the German Bible. Maybe the translation changed in the last decades, but they left the title of the novel as it was.

BTW, a silly name for the game, which is beautiful.

Aha! That explains things. So it's basically a play on words (like Ohne Furcht und Adel). I just knew there was something I was missing about why this game would be called "Beyond Thebes", and that explains it.

Thanks to everyone who helped sort out this riddle.

I'm sure looking forward to getting a copy of this, whatever it's called!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.