Popular Tags: [View All]
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to think that I hated all abstracts. Then a friend introduced me to Pente which is a very fast game that can be played tactically. I really enjoy that one and want to find others.

I like Aton okay.
Hive is fine but a bit too strategic for me to love it.
I am considering Onitama and The Duke.
My Wife hated Tash Kalar so it didn't end up working for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven't trie Onitama, but The Duke may fit your tastes fine. You may also want to consider Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game. I haven't played it, but it's a fully compatible standalone expansion for The Duke, but is supposedly even more tactical in its gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you like Pente, I recommend checking out Connect6, which is another n-in-a-row game which neatly solves the common first-player-advantage problem in many such games.

There are many games you can play with a Pente or Go set; I also recommend Slither, as well as various games by Luis Bolaños Mures, although these might be longer than you are looking for. (But try Xodd on a small board!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Take a look at Agamemnon; I haven't played my copy yet, but the token draw means you must play tactically, but the fact that you know which tokens are available to be drawn allows for some longer-term strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nyquist
msg tools
+1 for Onitama. My wife pretty much hates to play games and we played it the first night I purchased it. We played 3 games with in 1 hour and she won all 3! And I'm an average chess player! Love Onitama even if I loose to my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for the Duke. The game is based on Chess, however it introduces a few twists that draw one into the game. Namely, the tiles represent different figures, each having it's own set of movement options. Each time you move a figure, though, you must flip it to the other side, revealing different movement options on the reverse. You also start the game with a standard set of one Duke and two Footmen, then you can add more tiles to the board by drawing them from a bag. This randomizes the game, but also forces one to plan ahead and make due with what one has at their disposal at any given time. These two elements are the two most prominent features of the Duke. The game is so compelling that I sometimes can play a few games in an hour or if I play with an experienced player, a single match can sometimes take an hour. But it is an hour filled with tactical planning, trying to outmaneuver and outsmart one's opponent and I have had a few games where I actually won by having just one or two tiles of my own on the board against 5-8 tiles of my opponent, so the game is well balanced and what counts most is the skill of the player playing the game. I really enjoy this game.

I haven't played the Jarl, yet, although I plan on purchasing it in the future. I do, however, own several expansions for the Duke, and unfortunately, although they provide some options as to new movement rules, new abilities etc. I don't fancy the game playing the expansions as I do playing without them. Please purchase at your own risk

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy Xe Queo! perhaps more easily found as Der Isses! which has a very small footprint and plays somewhere between 10 to 15 minutes at the very most. Sometimes depending, it can be even faster than 10 minutes.

The gist of the game is that you and your opponent are trying pick a color that corresponds to pawns on the board, and each of you is trying to get your color pawn onto a grey disc using movements similar to Chinese checkers, in that you can jump over large groups of pawns if they are in a line.

The trick is not to be too obvious with your movements because your opponent can guess your color and if they do, they win the round. If they either guess wrong, or you get your chosen color to the disc, you win the round. I believe it's best of 7 rounds is the winner.

A real gem in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also big +1 for Onitama and the Duke which offer similar feels, though Onitama is far quicker, and the Duke often really lets you settle into a longer battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and purchased Onitama and Agamemnon. A lot of these other games are now on my wish list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Onitama and Agamemnon. Onitama was a little weird in one game where we could move forward or diagonal right but moving diagonal left wasn't really present. It was still fun and interesting though.

I am guessing that I won't keep Agamemnon forever but it is totally solid and I have enjoyed my 2 plays of it. My 7yo beat me the first game with just a few tips which was good.

Connect6 was quite fun. I think I prefer Pente because I really enjoy the capturing mechanic but this was a nice varient.

I anticipate picking up The Duke soon as well.

Some of the Gipf games seem like they could be played tactical and be fun. Punct and Dvonn in particular. I was sad that they didn't appear to be among the current reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.