$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46% of Goal | left

Support:

Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Current Working Logo:

This is an entry for the 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016.

Game Name: Orchestration

Designer: Kevin Froleiks

Artwork: (coming soon) Andrew Joanis

Players: 2-4

Suggested Play Time: 10-20 minutes

Premise: You are a respected composer who just finished writing a masterpiece. Can you successfully assemble the orchestra for your magnum opus?

PDF File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4hD9ms_ksk0akdlUGJ1eGtLMUE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Orchestration - Submission for the 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016 - Playtest Phase
I like the idea. When reading the rules it felt like something was missing. Like a more detailed round and action description. Look forward to see more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] Orchestration - Submission for the 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016 - Playtest Phase
Thanks, I've been fine tuning the rules on this for sure. The challenge has been getting it all on one front/back of a card. Glad you like the idea! I'll be updating my entry soon with new art and (hopefully) clearer rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Darn! I had an idea for a game and musical instruments were a perfect theme as well as the name Orchestration. But you beat me to both! Never mind, I'll find another theme and might try your game out in the meantime.

Good luck in the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks! Sorry I beat you to it but glad that it's not just me that thinks this is a good theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of the new cards.

Why not post it on your WIP thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools

UPDATED RULES:

Orchestration
You are a respected composer who just finished writing a masterpiece. Can you successfully assemble the orchestra for your magnum opus?
Set Up
Orchestration is a game for 2-4 players. The game is played over the course of 4 rounds called “movements”. At the start of each movement, deal one Composer Card and one Instrument Card to each player. Composer Cards remain secret until someone announces that they have orchestrated their movement. The remaining Instrument Cards make up the draw pile.

Whoever most recently attended a concert goes first, followed by the player to their left. For all subsequent rounds, the player with the lowest score goes first.
How to Win
The player with the most points after the 4th movement is the winner.

How to Play
1) Draw up to 2 Instrument Cards. You can never have more than 2 cards in your hand.
-NOTE: Skip this if no cards are left in the draw pile.

2) Choose 2 of the following actions to do on your turn:
- Play: Place 1 card face up in front of you
- Give: Give 1 card to another player. That player cannot have 2 cards in their hand already
- Steal: Take 1 card that is in play in front of another player and place it in your hand. You cannot use this action if you already have 2 cards in your hand.
-NOTE: You can do 2 of the same action.

3) When a player has all 3 instruments needed to orchestrate their movement, they immediately reveal their composer and win the round and score 5 points.
4) All players score points for each card they have in play in front of them. The points value is listed next to the instrument name.

5) Shuffle the Composer and Instrument Cards and continue orchestrating the other 3 movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
ex1st wrote:
I like the look of the new cards.

Why not post it on your WIP thread?

Added!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you made a PDF with the new images??? Anyways, it's looking good. Can't wait for the Scotland the brave expansion with more bagpipes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
vialick wrote:
Have you made a PDF with the new images??? Anyways, it's looking good. Can't wait for the Scotland the brave expansion with more bagpipes

Yes! Just finished it actually and getting ready to upload to the geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] Orchestration - Components Ready - 18 Card Contest
Updated PnP file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4hD9ms_ksk0V0pidFV2Q0cwdVk...

New logo:

All artwork designed by Andrew Joanis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer

Well done you two on the new artwork - really beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] Orchestration - 18 Card Design Contest - Components Ready
JohnKean wrote:

Well done you two on the new artwork - really beautiful!

All credit belongs to Andrew! I'm so happy with the work he put in to this. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My playing group played a three player game of this tonight. The strategy is much deeper than we initially suspected. Great job! We had a question: When you choose 2 of the following actions to do on your turn, must you choose exactly 2 actions or is it a maximum of 2 actions, i.e., 1 action or no actions is allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer

Hi Kevin

I am just reading the rules. Seems like a really nifty game and I'm looking forward to playing. Though I question some of the instrument combinations!

Minor clarification: I assume the composer cards don't count as being in your hand? The rules kind of suggest that they are (since they are dealt out with an instrument card) but it would seem too limiting. Anyway, can you please clarify?

Cheers,
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Kevin,

Just spotted a small typo on the Simonovsky card: "Trobone" in mvt 4. Hopefully you have time to fix it in the next coupla hours.

Cheers,
JK

PS love the bagpipes joke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
jeadams wrote:
My playing group played a three player game of this tonight. The strategy is much deeper than we initially suspected. Great job! We had a question: When you choose 2 of the following actions to do on your turn, must you choose exactly 2 actions or is it a maximum of 2 actions, i.e., 1 action or no actions is allowed?

I tried a couple of games with the rule being "up to two actions" but a few rounds took forever because of a stalemate situation.

Because of that I made it "do two actions" so it is required that you do some combination of playing, stealing, and giving each turn. It helps keep the game going and moving the cards around.

Thanks for playing! Really happy to hear the strategy exceeded your initial expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
JohnKean wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Just spotted a small typo on the Simonovsky card: "Trobone" in mvt 4. Hopefully you have time to fix it in the next coupla hours.

Cheers,
JK

PS love the bagpipes joke!

Thank you for these notes. I thought I did a thorough spelling/grammar check but it looks like the artist and I both missed "Trobone". Shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
JohnKean wrote:

Hi Kevin

I am just reading the rules. Seems like a really nifty game and I'm looking forward to playing. Though I question some of the instrument combinations!

Minor clarification: I assume the composer cards don't count as being in your hand? The rules kind of suggest that they are (since they are dealt out with an instrument card) but it would seem too limiting. Anyway, can you please clarify?

Cheers,
JK

When you say you question instrument combinations, do you mean because of plausibility of them being together in a real orchestra? Or an issue of the points value of each? My main goal with the combinations was to make sure each player is always trying to get 3 unique cards but may need to revisit them after the contest. This is the 2nd game I've ever designed so I'm very new and very open to all notes to improve this.

And yes, composer cards should be face down in front of you and don't count as part of your hand. That should be clearer that you have up to two instrument cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah. Yes, forcing two actions per turn would lead to a slightly more chaotic game. laugh We'll give a few more tries! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
My comment about the instrument combinations was meant musically so you can relax. And I was under the impression these were the only instruments playing...
But yeah I do understand these are just placeholders for any old requirement and could just as easily have been cake ingredients or voodoo stuff or coloured gems.
Have made a set of cards and now waiting for a chance to try them out with the family. From the rules it looks like it'll be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.