Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been painting all of my figures and I'm really torn on what to do for bases. I started off painting them to match the tiles in the base set, but realized that Inferno will look much different and they'll clash a bit when playing those scenario's. I then started swapping out the bases with clear acrylic bases so you could just see the tiles through, but totally forgot about marking colored bases.

So my question is, to those who play with painted figures, and presumably not using the colored plastic attachments, do you feel the paint jobs are enough? I'm worried it might be a problem with seeing who is using what figure and what colored guild they are for quest reasons, but maybe you learn those pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't used the colored bases since my first session. It's pretty easy for my group to remember who belongs to which guild, even when they aren't painted. Painting does help differentiate them greatly though so you shouldn't have any major issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bookblogger wrote:
I haven't used the colored bases since my first session. It's pretty easy for my group to remember who belongs to which guild, even when they aren't painted. Painting does help differentiate them greatly though so you shouldn't have any major issues.

Agreed. I painted mine and don't bother with the colored bases. It seems pretty easy to remember who belongs to what guild. If there is a question, just look at their dashboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapenrose wrote:
bookblogger wrote:

Agreed. I painted mine and don't bother with the colored bases. It seems pretty easy to remember who belongs to what guild. If there is a question, just look at their dashboard.

Yep, no issues here either....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those aren't painted yet, but you can use magnets. It's very cool thing.

And the same for the Orc Captain and his bases. Then just use them everytime you play, even if Orc Captain is Orc Marauder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something similar and minimized my bases. Aside from when we have some brand brew players, we rarely ever use the colored tokens in them anymore though. They were just more trouble than they were worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I won't sweat it then. I like how clean the clear bases are, and not having to paint the bases will save me a good amount of time.

I kind of like the colored bases for easy recognition, but if people don't miss them, then I'm happy to forget them also.

The magnetized bases are neat... but I never fully understood the point, is it just for ease? They also would defeat the purpose of having clear bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually I'll order stuff from the site below. They're circular, magnetic bases. You apply a thin magnetic "sticker" to the base of the figure and the color base sticks to it. It's intended to denote status affects in an RPG game, but I love the idea of using them for AQ.

http://www.aleatools.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:

The magnetized bases are neat... but I never fully understood the point, is it just for ease? They also would defeat the purpose of having clear bases.

We found that they go very hard on and off the hero and would scratch paint from base when the heroes eventualy will be painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised by those answers. I have painted my minis but still use the colored bases. They make it that much fster to identify the guilds. Specially with all the portal hopping around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
gorondil wrote:
I'm surprised by those answers. I have painted my minis but still use the colored bases. They make it that much fster to identify the guilds. Specially with all the portal hopping around.

Agree!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nandy Velez

Puerto Rico
msg tools
mb
I like the idea of clear basing, might give it a try. I saw these last night and this would be an easy fix for a clear base it seems.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/fls-id-teal.html

Its a colored ring that goes around the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamgan wrote:
I like the idea of clear basing, might give it a try. I saw these last night and this would be an easy fix for a clear base it seems.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/fls-id-teal.html

Its a colored ring that goes around the base.

That's a great idea, thanks! Think I'll go this route.

I'm still pretty torn on how best to do the bases for my figures. I was starting to research hot-swapping bases, where you just leave pegs on the feet of each figure, then I could get away with just having 12 really nicely painted bases for each expansion and attach the heroes as needed

I do like the way the clear bases look though, and if these ID rings work well, that might just be an easier grab and go option.

I realize there are going to be over 100 figures after the expansions hit (counting Masmmora), so it has become a big decision what to commit to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Eventually I'll order stuff from the site below. They're circular, magnetic bases. You apply a thin magnetic "sticker" to the base of the figure and the color base sticks to it. It's intended to denote status affects in an RPG game, but I love the idea of using them for AQ.

http://www.aleatools.com/

That makes sense, thanks Donny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.