Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: strategy game with large amount of luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gerard mcerlean
msg tools
My game group has 1 player who rarely wins. He has a hard time thinking several moves ahead. I'm trying to find a game that has enough luck to allow him to win ~15%-20% of the time (mostly 3 players) but also has some strategy and choices to make. Below are some games we play now that we enjoy but he struggles to ever win at.

No co ops
Ideally 90 minutes or less

Blood rage
Lords of water deep
Seasons
Champions of midgard
Kemet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerard mcerlean
msg tools
I should mention... we already have dominion, ascesion and sushi go. He is able to win those on occasion but we are looking for more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is your friend with tactics? (Meaning making the best choice with a variety of options within a given turn - as opposed to strategy which takes several turns of planning)

Lots of card games are more tactical than strategic because you're unable to plan (too much) past the current hand. So something like: Race for the Galaxy where cards have multiple uses and you can do reasonably well playing the best of what you have at the moment. Or Innovation which is so chaotic and swingy that you can stumble into a victory.

(That's not to say there's no strategy in these games... there is, but less so than your typical area control game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age or Kingsburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a big +1 to the tactics comment above

This is kinda where my friends who dont consider themselves gamers are at.
Their favored game as of late:
Revolution!- no luck but its all about reading your opponents so your per turn tactical decisions are typically more important than strategy.

perhaps something thats more about playing:
Tales of the Arabian Nights - plenty of luck here. I feel this is a good long casual game as its about what stories happen to you rather than winning. Could be too long with a bunch of people. My first game went long but we wernt trying to go any faster than slow so I think thats on us, but theres so much luck everything could turn bad and just drag the game on.

other choices could be:
King of Tokyo-might be too light
Small World-a constant debate with my friends if its more strategy tactics or luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Has he expressed frustration? Is winning so important to him that he isn't having fun? I just wonder if you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist... It is unclear if you are being sympathetic in response to an emotion he has conveyed (which is admirable) or just your own conscience (which is considerate, but it may be taken as an insult). Anyway, sorry to probe, but I think those things might be worth considering. To answer your question...

Not sure how cutthroat your group is willing to get, but maybe Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery would work.

Tales of the Arabian Nights would probably be perfect but may run longer than your 90 minutes (and almost certainly will if you are playing with 4+).

Small World maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Though it's only 2-player, any of the Commands & Colors series would be great.
-Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game
-Steam Park
-maybe 7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backgammon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War at Sea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Not sure it would help but I have to find similar games to play with my young daughter as she needs to win at least sometimes make her happy and we're not the types to play overly simple games or let her win lol. We also normally hate co-ops

On the off chance you might find one or two that are of interest, we play:

Port royal
Survive: escape from atlantis
Downfall of Pompeii
Celestia
Beasty bar
Garden Dice
King of Tokyo
Carcassone: over hill and dale
Birds of a feather
Karuba (wins less at this but enjoys regardless)
Little prince make me a planet (we love even as adults as a filler)
Dead man's draw
Jamaica
Saboteur/saboteur 2

We're just starting her on

mission red planet,
colt express
room 25
galaxy trucker

We do give her more time to build her ship in galaxy trucker and do give her a chance to change a few bits but if his issue is regarding thinking about what others might do (my mum has this problem and reason why my daughter beats her regularly) and you think he'd be good at the ship building bit then this would probably work??

You could also try ones like bang the dice game and cash and guns for fun fillers.

My overly mathmatical mum gets carried away and overly focuses on what she's doing and finds it difficult to imagine what other people might do and also long term planning. she prefers games with a puzzle element to it, like karuba. I normally completely avoid social deduction games when playing with her but all the above work okay. This is why she wants room 25, as she see's it as more of a puzzle and it's down to luck of the tiles a little so this is the only one I will try with her lol!

Games like castles of mad king ludvig, among the stars and isle of skye are also perfect for her as they have a larger part of building her own thing (especially with tiles/choices that come up every round) and smaller more focused parts with player interation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm, maybe Viticulture. It's kinda medium weight with a huge luck component in what cards you draw. Though if you aren't very strategic I can't tell if the amount of luck is enough. You at least need some basic strategy and a decent approach, but if you have that, anyone can win depending the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes boom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:

My first though based on the thread title, but clearly not what the OP is looking for as it's 2-player and the better player will win most games.

More tactical games seems like a good plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerard mcerlean
msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to pick up King of Tokyo for sure.

The tactics idea is spot on. He does well in games that dont require a ton of advanced planning. I'm going to try looking into some card based games that don't allow a lot of future planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops, all tactics and lots of dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need luck, you need tactical games, or games that stress tactical planning over multi step engine building.

+1 for Revolution! - My group has two opinions, the worst game ever made, or quite a bit of fun. Requires you to predict what your opponents are going to do each turn, and try to out think them each turn. You can have a basic strategy, but need to be flexible based on wins/losses each turn.

Simplify the planning and try Ticket to Ride: Europe (I like it better then US).

I like Acquire but I wouldn't suggest it. It requires you to have multiple strategies planned out based on tile draws, and then adjust. Could work, not sure.

Cargo Noir - Requires you to make future decisions, but only one turn deep and adjust.

Innovation - I've won multiplayer by just paying attention during my turn, and not on any opponent turn. I didn't particularly like the game, but...

Glory to Rome - same designer, much better game.

Rattus - much more tactical game about the black plague.

Neuroshima Hex! - mostly two players, awesome game

Don't forget to let us know what you end up picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra

Yspahan

Takenoko

Tokaido

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.