$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Codenames» Forums » General

Subject: I was genuinely surprised to learn this game was designed by Vlaada Chvátil rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
I mean, who knew the same guy who designed Mage Knight, Through the Ages, and Dungeon Lords would go on to create one of the best filler/party games? It's a little baffling to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chvatil has always been versatile; it's one of his strengths as a designer. He's already created excellent party games in Pictomania and Bunny Bunny Moose Moose - and a bunch more that I haven't come across, most likely.

I suspect his heavy games get more exposure on BGG because that's the way the site leans in general, but it's definitely worth checking out the rest of his catalogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As well as Pictomania, so he had a minor bit of experience in the genre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not to forget Space Alert with the funniest rulebook ever written and a great expansion that makes this great game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course don't forget Galaxy Trucker which isn't anything like any of his other games either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fair to say that the one thing all of Vlaada's designs have in common is that most of them don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the most versatile designer I know. And that's my personal opinion. Not just saying that because I also do a lot of work for CGE. He was my favourite designer before I started doing anything for the company, and he still is now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's just your opinion. I can understand people not thinking Vlaada is the best designer out there (although I do believe that), but I don't know who else could compete with him for being most innovative and diverse in his design catalog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A discussion almost exactly like this (but pre-dating Codenames) was exactly what launched VlaadaCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galego wrote:
A discussion almost exactly like this (but pre-dating Codenames) was exactly what launched VlaadaCon.

An event to which I'd love to go ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our intent is to run it every year on the Saturday before Gen Con. You know, in case anyone from Europe wanted to combine it with a trip to Gen Con. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.