$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 124.88

7,445 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Making exploration more meaningful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the way the game is now, the maps might as well just be long, linear corridors. There really isn't any meaningful choices made in which way to go.

Do you think this idea would work:

1. When given a choice to proceed - let's say through exit A and B - the players draw two face down map cards, and place one face down next to each exit.

2. the players then draw two face down exploration tokens, and place one on each face down map card.

3. The then choose to proceed through one of the exits.

4. Before revealing the new map and exploration token, the exploration token for the exit not chosen is revealed.

5. if it is an AMBUSH, the heroes are immediately ambushed on their current tile. The fight takes place as normal, but the heroes gain no XP and no loot. If it's not an AMBUSH, the token is mixed back in with the remaining stock.

6. play then proceeds with the heroes going through the exit they chose, and the unused map card is shuffled back into the deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out Phil's work here

Similar ideas the idea is to place an adjacent map tile and that is the one the enemies spawn on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this changes anything related to choices. It seems to do one thing and one thing only: increase ambushes in branching map situations.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I don't see how this changes anything related to choices. It seems to do one thing and one thing only: increase ambushes in branching map situations.


Makes choosing the wrong way more detrimental.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
Check out Phil's work here

Similar ideas the idea is to place an adjacent map tile and that is the one the enemies spawn on.


Cool, thanks.

I'll take a look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
With the way the game is now, the maps might as well just be long, linear corridors. There really isn't any meaningful choices made in which way to go.

Do you think this idea would work:

1. When given a choice to proceed - let's say through exit A and B - the players draw two face down map cards, and place one face down next to each exit.

2. the players then draw two face down exploration tokens, and place one on each face down map card.

3. The then choose to proceed through one of the exits.

4. Before revealing the new map and exploration token, the exploration token for the exit not chosen is revealed.

5. if it is an AMBUSH, the heroes are immediately ambushed on their current tile. The fight takes place as normal, but the heroes gain no XP and no loot. If it's not an AMBUSH, the token is mixed back in with the remaining stock.

6. play then proceeds with the heroes going through the exit they chose, and the unused map card is shuffled back into the deck.


Or, you could place a face down map card with a face down exploration token next to each exit, and explore from there. This way, that final clue could be on the exit not chosen. The heroes would then have to back track, and there could be a chance of a random ambush in each room while backtracking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We backtrack out of difficult rooms and head down the other branch pretty often in our games. Sometimes that's worse and we book it back through the original one. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What happens when you look through multiple doors on the same Turn?

- Jee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
What happens when you look through multiple doors on the same Turn?

- Jee


Reveal multiple tiles like normal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For clue-based missions, this has the potential to make the mission un-winnable.
And at the very least is likely going to make them way more difficult. Even without the extra ambushes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cold
msg tools
I do it similar to the old game, Warhammer Quest. When there is a fork in the road, I split the stack of encounter tokens between them. I've only started to do it recently (and for the same reason - actual rules leave no import to choice). So, I don't know the level of impact yet, i.e., does dedicating encounter tokens to a specific path actually change anything, other than missions in which clues are critical?

My tentative plan for if a path runs out of tokens (not yet occurred) is to discount any doors or gates on that last encounter token. So, that map tile becomes a dead end and the posse has to go back. Biggest potential downside I see is that the turns heading back are likely to be boring as the way to trigger anything is a failed "Hold Back the Darkness" roll.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe_Cold wrote:
I do it similar to the old game, Warhammer Quest. When there is a fork in the road, I split the stack of encounter tokens between them. I've only started to do it recently (and for the same reason - actual rules leave no import to choice). So, I don't know the level of impact yet, i.e., does dedicating encounter tokens to a specific path actually change anything, other than missions in which clues are critical?

My tentative plan for if a path runs out of tokens (not yet occurred) is to discount any doors or gates on that last encounter token. So, that map tile becomes a dead end and the posse has to go back. Biggest potential downside I see is that the turns heading back are likely to be boring as the way to trigger anything is a failed "Hold Back the Darkness" roll.


Came up with this alternate method at lunch:

1. split encounter tokens evenly among exits.
2. when the encounters run out on one path without objective being met, back tracking occurs.

Back tracking rules:

1. No rolling for darkness

2. heroes don't move back through space by space. The party moves as a group going tile to tile.

3. each tile has a chance of a random ambush (use any method you desire).

3. These ambushes provide no loot / XP (maybe...)

4. Once a previously-unexplored exit is encountered, resume game as normal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
I don't see how this changes anything related to choices. It seems to do one thing and one thing only: increase ambushes in branching map situations.


Makes choosing the wrong way more detrimental.


But it defines the wrong path on the basis of a blind draw. You have no chance of guessing what way is the right path, except by accidentally walking into an ambush. Therefore, you'll still always choose direction on the same basis you always did before (in my experience, that's usually pick the closest exit and stick with it unless it turns out to be a corridor or has a terrible encounter card), because there is literally no new information or incentive to change things up.

Also, I don't know if I'm understanding your intention correctly, but it sounds like you're actually taking out the requirement that you have to stand in a door to be able to see into the next room, which would remove even the temptation to go see what other possible exits there are unless they happen to be an amazing draw, since - if one room is just as good as the next- there's no point in wasting the activations to get there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
njep wrote:
Check out Phil's work here

Similar ideas the idea is to place an adjacent map tile and that is the one the enemies spawn on.


This is the best variant I've seen. It improves the game significantly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple of solo games this past weekend to check out optional rules for making choices in exploration more meaningful. Played once by the official rules, and once doing the following:

When a new tile is revealed:

1. split encounter tokens evenly among determined exits.

2. when the encounters run out on one path without objective being met, back tracking occurs.

Backtracking rules:

1. No rolling for darkness during any part of backtracking

2. heroes don't backtrack space by space. The party moves as a group going tile to tile.

3. each tile has a chance of a random ambush (use any method you desire - I rolled a D6, on a 1, an ambush, draw threat as normal).

3. These ambushes provided loot or XP, but not both.

4. Once a tile with unexplored exits is encountered, resume game as normal.

Using the above optional rules made the game far more enjoyable for me. Felt more like I was exploring a maze, and less like I was simply walking down a randomly generated corridor where all doors led to the same place.

We'll be kicking off our Hexcrawl campaign in a few weeks, and will be using this method.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
I tried some personal variant too to increase the feeling of exploration without success.

The rythm is systematically broken and we had a too big map to be able to keep it entirely on my poor small table (1m20 × 2m whistle).

Split explorations tokens it's for me the best way but at the end what is the interest to add the need to come back to a different bifurcation instead of continuing in a straight way ?

Some addition like the necessity to split the poses to activate some lever at the same time or to explore quickly due to a turn timer could improve the needs.
Adding some optional side quest in a scenario could be really interesting to enjoy exploring other path.
Or the possibility to find optional clue to weaken the final boss, etc.

But for the moment I will play it like a "corridor" ignoring bifurcation and focused on action
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.