Subject: An Epic Clash rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre Game Comments:

JJ (PRC)
My plan is simple: stay passive in the Indian Ocean/Middle East theater until either Iran or India makes a move.
In East Asia, I will attack Taiwan right off the bat before the USA can mobilize its forces. In conjunction with the Taiwan invasion (Operation Come Home) I will also deploy the bulk of my fleet to support a massive southern thrust of amphibious forces with the goal of conquering the Spratly Islands and Singapore (Operation Our Sphere). Once that is done, I will look for targets of invasion opportunity in the South Pacific to add to my VP total.
All the while I will hunt the US CV when possible and keep forces massed in Northern China to hold the Sword of Damocles (Korean War) over Tim’s head so Japanese forces won’t be able to assist Taiwan.
I swear though if I do all this work and Tim beats me with that massive US Nuclear Strike again…. angry angry angry angry

Tim (USA and friends)
In the Indian Ocean/Middle East I will need to use my call for reinforcements op early to build up a sizable US/NATO fleet so I can sweep the Persian Gulf of mines ASAP if Iran enters the war (this killed me last game).
In Asia, I will try to help Taiwan but it might be best to focus on trying to block the southern thrust that JJ will attempt. Hopefully I can mass US and Australian forces to counter this threat while also looking for the opportunity to recapture Taiwan.
And if all else fails, I can always unleash the wonderful OP 30 and let the nukes fly devil

Deployment

USA: I am going to put my initial CVX group in the North Pacific Ocean so I can bring out Japanese SAG to help cover the CVX ASAP
The second 2 CVN group I am putting into Honshu to keep my forces concentrated.

On the Indian Map I will place all my forces in Diego Garcia and a US F-16 in Saudi Arabia.

The extra SAG unit I will put at sea with my forces in the North Pacific.

The 2 B-2, B-52, and Marines into the off map holding box.

PRC: I will focus on air units in Central China to prepare to hammer Taiwan before launching my air assault.
My heavy units will go to Northern China to assist in the coming Korean War.
South China will have all my surface units with six lands units for invasions.
I will mass my subs in Northern China to hit the US/Japanese naval forces shortly after they emerge from Japan.
The two SSN will go into the North Pacific to see if I can sink the two SAG and, if successful, launch a LR attack on the CVN left there.

Note: By agreement JJ and I added the nuclear options with the following variant. In order to gain permission to do so you must use a pass Op on one map and roll 2d6. If the total is 10 or greater you have permission to fire!

Turn d10-1

PRC Random Event (RE)=none

Asia Map (AM)
Op 15 in North Pacific attack 2 SAG with 2 SSN.

Indian Map (IM)
Pass

USA Random Event (RE)=51

cool I get to do 2Ops in a row right off the bat! thumbsup

Asia Map(AM)
First execute Op 12 to send 2 US SAG, 5 Japanese SAG, US Marines and Infantry plus SSN and SSGN subs into North Pacific.

2nd Op 13 to move entire force into the Central Pacific.

Indian Map (IM)
Op 8. DR= 4 US draws airborne unit, SSN, mechanized infantry and a CVN and place them into the NATO box.

Commentary (C)

Opening shots of the war find me losing both SSN but sinking 2 SAG in the process.

Nice break starting with two Ops in Asia. This allows me to protect my CVN and head south to counter JJ right off the bat.

Turn d10-2

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 12: move massive force from South China into South China Sea consisting of CVG, CVL, 8 SAG, Amphib, 2 Infantry, 2 Armor Recon, and 1 Marine.

IM
Pass

US RE=none

AM
Move fleet in Central Pacific to North Philippines Sea.

IM
Pass

Heading towards the Spratlys, Singapore, and whatever else catches my eye. I hope doing this early will draw Tim into following me so I can unleash Korean War.
Need to get on the horn to Iran and tell them to get into the game already.

Shadowing JJ to see if Taiwan or southern invasions will be his first move. Contemplating sending SSGN to sea to strike ground forces in North China for Korean War help.

I’m willing to play follow the leader…for now.

Turn d10-3

PRC RE=13
Iran not in game so no effect

AM
Op 14. Armanda continues out into the Gulf of Tonkin.

IM
Pass

US RE=22 Vietnam enters the war on US side.

AM
Op 17. Vietnam air force attacks PRC forces in Gulf of Tonkin. Entire Vietnamese air force wiped out with no losses for PRC shake

IM
Pass

Biding my time on Taiwan…. devil Hmmm…not so good.

I knew it was a gamble with Vietnamese but was hoping for at least one hit. Perhaps I should’ve just continued my shadowing…

Turn d10-4

PRC RE=64 US special action!!!! angry US destroys PRC CVG

AM
Op 14. Move 3 SAG and one infantry into Spratly Islands sea zone.

IM
Pass

US RE=42 Chines corporation closes Panama Canal scoring PRC 1 VP.

AM
Op 18. Launch both B-2 and B-52 on Spratly Islands naval units. B-52 shot down and 1 SAG sunk.

IM
Pass

PRC VP=1

Bad luck with that US roll. Cannot afford to lose naval assets without taking some American Imperialists with me angry

D*&^, lost my B-52 for nothing. Still if I can whittle down the armada before catching up to it, I will.

Turn d10-5

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 19. PRC infantry invades Spratly Islands. PRC VP total now 3.

IM
Pass

US RE=52. Double OP! cool

AM
Op 14x2. Move US fleet to Luzon Sea then Sulu Sea

IM
Pass but UK forces arrive in NATO box per rules.

Starting to pick up VP. But where are those *^%$#*& Iranians!?!?!

Two double Ops in first five turns is a huge help. If I can just get lucky again and chase down the PRC fleet before it reaches Singapore…

PRC VP=3

Turn d10-6

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 14 move armada into Mouth of the Mekong.

IM
Pass

US RE= 22 Vietnam already in.

AM
Op 14 Move fleet into Palwan Passage.

IM
Op 8. US reinforcement roll=1 gulp US draws armor recon and places in NATO box.

Hope to catch Singapore then begin hammering Korean once I’ve drawn US forces so far south.
Hello Tehran? Are you there? It’s the Dragon…I need you to move your A@@!!!

Still playing cat and mouse with JJ. Trying to get some ships to the Indian Map so I will be ready with a force to sweep Persian Gulf but getting nowhere fast on that one. shake

Turn d10-7

PRC RE=41. Iran enters the war. Persian Gulf mined at level 2. Gulf States enter the war on USA side.

AM
Op 14. Move 2 SAG, CVL, Marine, and Infantry unit into Singapore space.

IM
Op Iranian Missile strike. Target US CVN at Diego Garcia. No effect.

US RE=none

AM
Op 18. Launch both B-2 to hit forces in Singapore Sea area. One B-2 shot down gulp cry

IM
Op 16. Rebase UK air unit to Saudi Arabia.

PRC VP=4

Finally Iran comes in. About flipping time!!! gulp angry Should be able to keep Persian Gulf mined for a little while unless India comes into war quickly. I’ll keep firing missiles at CVN to either destroy or make US use Op to repair it.

Bad luck on the B-2. Rolled 6 6 on the B-2 attack Hoping to get Gulf airstrike in next turn and get Gulf States SAG out to sweep Persian Gulf.

Turn d10-8

PRC RE=51. Double Op!!!!! devil

AM
Op 15: Bomb Taiwan. Launch 16 planes. Destroy SAG and Air but no hits on Taiwanese land forces! Lose 2 planes.
Op 19 Invade Singapore. Destroy plane and SS of Singapore and lose 2 SAG.

IM
Op 25 Target damaged US CVN. Hit!!! Sink US CVN! +2 VP

US RE=none

AM
Op 14. Move US fleet into Karimata Strait.

IM
Op 39 Persian Gulf Strike. 3 Iranian airplanes destroyed in including the LR. UK, YE and both SAU air units lost.

PRC VP=7

Well that was…interesting. My original plan was to wipe out Taiwan in one fell swoop with Op 15 followed by Op 4 (air assault on Taiwan) but since the air force failed in epic fashion (heads will roll literally) I decided to use my Op on the Indian Map and then go twice with the missiles attack if I failed to destroy the damage US CVN. Since that worked, I went all out on Singapore but that pesky ground unit is still there!!!! angry angry

Setting the stage for the big naval battle in Asia. Disappointed that the air strike did not hit a single Iranian SSM. angry gulp

Turn d10-9

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 20. Attack in Singapore. No hits.

IM
Op 39. Attack. Completely missed and both Iranian planes destroyed.

US RE=none

AM
Op 14. Move US fleet into Mouth of the Mekong. Huge battle results in PRC losing 4 SAG, 2 Armor Recon, and an infantry. US loses 1 SAG and Japan 2 SAG.

IM
Op 9. Calling New Delhi…no answer

PRC VP=8

Bad turn. I was hoping to eliminate US air unit in Persian Gulf. Better get ready to deploy SS to the Gulf.

Now I can begin counterattacking in the south and head north ASAP since I am sure Taiwan and Korea will now be under threat. I really need the Indians to help with the Gulf mine situation.

Turn d10-1 d10-0

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 20 in Singapore. No effect.

IM
Op 25 on Saudi Arabia. Destroy US air unit.

US RE=none

AM
Op 14. Move CVN and 2 SAG from fleet to Singapore attack PRC naval there. Sink PRC CVL but lose US SAG.

IM
Op 9. Ringing the phone in Delhi again… r=5: angry

PRC VP=9

Singapore continues to hold fast. My fleet has been wrecked but I still have my subs. Time to shift my attention to the north.

Asia going well but now need to gear up to defend Taiwan and Korea. Why will no one in Delhi answer the phone?????? shake shake

Turn d10-1 d10-1

PRC RE=42 No effect.

AM
Op 3. Move PRC ground units in Northern China into North Korea.

IM
Op 25. Target US SAG in Diego Garcia. BOOM! Sunk.

USA RE=None

AM
Op 16. Send Japanese air units to South Korea.

IM
Op 8. r-2: US draws 2 air units.

PRC VP=10

Having laid the foundation for the Korean War, I attack next turn. With Iran I’ll keep trying to eliminate SAG so the CVN cannot emerge let alone reach the Gulf.

Preparing in Korea. I can't seem to catch a break in the Indian Ocean. I’ll have to risk sending some naval units soon or that mine VP is going to kill me.

Turn d10-1 d10-2

PRC RE=none

AM

Op 2 Start war in Korea

IM
Op 12. Move all Iranian SS into Gulf.

US RE=none

AM
Op 14 Move US infantry unit into Singapore sea zone

IM
Op 9. Cue up Pink Floyd track…Is there anybody out there?? Apparently not in India!!!!!! angry angry

PRC VP=11

So now I am ready in Korea, ready with Taiwan, and ready in the Gulf. Life is good! thumbsup

So I can only assume our president of 2021 has offended the Indian Prime Minister…or have they made a deal with the Dragon!?!? shake Looks like I will have to risk sending a NATO fleet to the Gulf. soblue

Turn d10-1 d10-3

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 11. End Korean War. PRC 15 CF vs. US 10 CF. +1 DRM Final Roll 3 PRC loses one ground and US loses one SK plane.

IM
Op 25 SSM on UK SAG in Diego Garcia. SAG destroyed.

US RE=none

AM
Op 16 Rebase all Australian air to South Korea

IM
Op 39. Last two Gulf State planes take to the sky. Iranian SAG destroyed and Kuwaiti air destroyed.

PRC VP=12

Next step: rebase all PRC air to Northern China and finish off Korea! I am halfway to victory and still have all my subs and LR planes so I can hunt the US CVN too devil

Hanging in their in Korea but BIG mess in the Gulf. Missed both SSM angry angry Biggest problem is I cannot activate all Gulf State naval units at once like I can with air and mine sweep is another Op so it takes two turns to even try to sweep. Why do the Indians hate me?!?! (or maybe not me just my president )

Turn d10-1 d10-4

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 16. Rebase all air(except LR) in Central China to Northern China.

IM
Op 25 on UAE units. Destroy UAE air.

US RE=none

AM
Op 7. Send US unit from Japan to South Korea.

IM
Op 9. r-6: angry angry shake

PRC VP=13

I am tightening my grip on the game. Even if I lose the Spratlys, which is likely, I can still smell victory in the air!

I am now totally on the defensive. I know, I know good money after bad in India but if I make the dash from the NATO box my CVN will eventually be picked off my the Iranian SSM. Can’t believe I missed that UAE still had their air unit last turn cry

Turn d10-1 d10-5

PRC RE=32 Moselm revolt! DR= 6 Remove 3 air units. angry

AM
Op 11. End Korean War. PRC CF 23 vs US CF 13. +2 Final DR= 5 1 US ground eliminated.

IM
Op 25 on Oman forces. Destroy Oman air.

US RE=52 Double Op!

AM
Op 8. US reinforcement DR= 4 US draws CVX, DVX, air assault, and FCS.
Op 7. Air lift US ground to South Korea

IM
Op 9. Playing Telephone Line by ELO as the phone rings in New Delhi. FINALLY they answer positively!

PRC VP=14

D@#! Moselms! If I hadn’t needed to send those three air to deal with the revolt I would’ve crushed two US units! Indian coming in is ominous but I still have my Iranian SSM evil”

Double Op helped in Asia although I was hoping to get several air to send to Korea. India FINALLY got into the war. Now the question is, will it be too late? soblue

Turn d10-1 d10-6

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 11 End Korean War. PRC CF 23 vs. US CF 16. +1 DRM. Final DR= 2 PRC loses one ground unit!

IM
Op 25. SSM attack on Indian CVL and SAG. Sunk both!!

US RE=none

AM
Op 18. B-2 strike on North Korea targeting PRC armor. Miss! B-2 lands in NATO holding box.

IM
Op 12. Indian naval units enter the Arabian Sea.

PRC VP=15

So the Korean War is dragging along but it is keeping the US from recapturing the Spratlys. Indians have moved out their fleet. Hopefully Tim will not think about rebasing Indian air to the Gulf. That would make life very difficult.

Korea still hanging in there but forces continue to drop like flies on the Indian Map. If I could only take out those damn Iranian SSM. But my air force is destroyed in the Gulf and…hey..wait a minute…if I rebase the Indian air….hmmm…

Turn d10-1 d10-7

PRC RE=32 no event (Moselms have been crushed)

AM
Op 11. PRC CF 20 vs. US CF 16. +1 DRM Final DR= 3 PRC artillery eliminated and South Korean air eliminated.

IM
Op 25 Iranian SSM on Indian ships in Arabian Sea. Missed both!

US RE=14 Suez Canal sabotaged!

AM
Op 19. US infantry invade Singapore to attack PRC forces. PRC defeated.

IM
Op 14 Move Indian naval forces into the Persian Gulf to attack Iranian SS. 2 Iranian SS sunk and 1 Indian SAG.

PRC VP=16

Korean must fall!!!! angry Singapore is lost but I never had it to begin with so no big deal. Indians finally made it to the Gulf. Now I just need to sink that last SAG to gain a huge advantage.

Suez Canal closing a pain but mitigated by Indian allies. I will have to rebase Indian air if I lose last SAG before sending out more of the Indian Navy.

Turn d10-1 d10-8

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 11. Korean War!!! PRC CF 17 vs. US CF 15. No DRM. DR= 2 PRC armor destroyed! Korean War over. US wins!!!!

IM
Op 25 Iranian SSM on Indian SAG. Sunk!

US RE=45. Tibet revolts! No more PRC land to Myanmar.

AM
Op 13 Move US forces in Singapore Sea to Mouth of Mekong.

IM
Op 16. Rebase all Indian air to Saudi Arabia.

PRC VP=13

The Korean War is over dealing a huge blow to my winning chances angry but I did manage to sink the Indian SAG. I have 17 VP now so I need to hang on in Asia and keep racking up the points in the Gulf to win.

The back and forth in Korea is over and the US wins! That really takes the pressure off me. I am hoping Indian air will pummel Iranians and then Gulf allies will be able to clear the mines. That’s a big “if” right now…

Turn d10-1 d10-9

PRC RE=23. Iran drops out of the war!! wow

AM
Op 16 Rebase all PRC air in Northern China to Central China.

IM
Op 1 Try to bring in Pakistan. DR= 1 Pakistan in!

US RE=none

AM
Op 16. Rebase allied air units in Korea to Taiwan.

IM
Op 12 Move Oman SAG into the Gulf. Mine attack 6

PRC VP=14

Now Taiwan is the key to the game. Pakistan will help me put some pressure on again in the Indian Ocean.

Getting ready for invasion of Taiwan. Just when I thought the Indian Ocean map was under control here come the Pakistanis shake angry

Turn d10-2 d10-0

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 5. Massive air strike on Taiwan. Focus on allied air. 5 PRC air destroyed. 2 Japanese and 1 Australian air destroyed and one Taiwanese ground unit damaged.

IM
Op 16 Rebase all Pakistani air into Indo-Pakistani War box.

US RE=none

AM
Op 14. Move SSN from Mouth of Mekong to Spratlys and attack PRC SAG there.
SAG sunk!

IM

Op 16 Rebase all Indian air from Saudi Arabia to Indo-Pakistani War Box

PRC VP=15

US air reinforcements make Taiwan a dicey situation. At least the mines are still in the Gulf

Next step in Asia is to recapture Spratlys and now that Indo-Pakistani War box is reinforced I can finish off those mines!

Turn d10-2 d10-1

PRC RE=23 No effect.

AM
Op 5 Bomb Taiwan. One Japanese air destroyed and one Taiwanese unit damaged. One PRC air destroyed.

IM
Op 12 Move Pakistani SAG and SS to Arabian Sea.

US RE=none

AM
Op 14. Move US Marine unit to Spratly Sea.

IM
Op 36. Mine attack fails. Oman SAG mine sweep fails!

PRC VP=16

It may be time to launch an air assault on Taiwan. I am also contemplating a LR strike on US Marines in Spratly. Pakistani naval units will take up station in the Gulf and keep the mines in place!

I am ready to recapture the Spratlys but I swear those mines in the Gulf are my Bete Noire!!! angry

Turn d10-2 d10-2

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 18. Launch all four LR against US Marine unit in Spratlys. Marines sunk!

IM
Op 14 Move Pakistani units into Persian Gulf and attack Oman SAG and Indian SS. Oman SAG sunk and Pakistani SS sunk.

US RE=23 No effect.

AM
Op 14. Move US SSN from Spratlys to Gulf of Tonkin

IM
Op 12. Indian fleet moves into Coromandel Coast.

PRC VP=17

All I have to do now is hold on for just a few more turns and the mines will win me the game.

Getting to the Spratlys is going to be impossible with PRC LR in the mix. However, I am going to clear the sea lanes just in case. My only hope is the Indians arrive in time in the Gulf. What a mess! shake

Turn d10-2 d10-3

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 25. PRC SSM on Taiwanese ground units. One ground destroyed.

IM
Op 14. Move Pakistani naval forces from Persian Gulf to Arabian Sea.

US RE=none

AM
Op 8 US reinforcements DR= 5 US draws Infantry, FCS, fighter, B1R, and airborne unit.

IM
Op 14. Indian fleet moves into the East Arabian Sea.

PRC VP=18

Prepping Taiwan with SSM while trying to destroy Indian fleet before it reaches the Gulf.

Drawing the US airborne will help defend Taiwan. My Indian allies move forward to their destiny!

Turn d10-2 d10-4

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 25. SSM on Taiwan targeting full strength land unit. No effect.

IM
Op 14. Move Pakistani naval units into East Arabian Sea and attack Indian forces there. Indian SAG and CVL sunk along with Pakistani SAG.

US RE=none

AM
Op 21 US airborne until moves to Taiwan.

IM
Op 14 Indian fleet moves into Persian Gulf.

PRC VP=19

Seems we have reached the final stretch run. All focus on the two key areas.

This is a long shot to clear the Persian Gulf but if the Indians fail maybe they can hammer the Pakistanis enough that one of the remaining Gulf States SAG can pull it off.

Turn d10-2 d10-5

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 25 SSM on full strength Taiwanese ground. No effect.

IM
Op 14. Pakistani fleet moves into Persian Gulf and attacks Indian naval units. Indian SAG sunk along with Pakistani SAG and SS.

US RE=none

AM
Op 12 Move 2 Japanese SAG to Singapore.

IM
Op 15. Indian forces in Gulf attack Pakistani forces. Mine attack fails. Attack fails and one Indian SSN sunk shake

PRC VP=20

I see Tim is planning on trying to invade the Spratlys again. I’ll use my LR air to handle that. No reason to complicate things with Taiwan when hanging on to what I have will seal the deal.

So now I am between the devil and the deep blue sea. My only realistic chance is to clear the mines. However the failure of the Indian navy now makes that prospect seem dim indeed. There should be an Op the lets all the Gulf States activate their naval forces together just like the air Op.

Turn d10-2 d10-6

PRC RE=none

AM
Op 18. LR against Japanese naval units off coast of Singapore. Both Japanese SAG sunk one PRC air lost.

IM
Pass

US RE=none

AM
Op 18. B1R targets PRC LR unit and destroys it.

IM
Op 12 Move UAE SAG to Persian Gulf.

PRC VP=21

I think I may have this one in the bag. Good news is I can still call on a Russian LR if needed.

Desperation now. I hope to send the Vietnamese marine to sea to capture Spratlys and clear the Gulf. Any one would help me win. I’ve also thought about the massive US nuclear strike but that would waste an Op on one map per the dice roll rule JJ and I agreed on before the game.

Turn d10-2 d10-7

PRC RE=32. Apparently still some Mosolem rebels still hiding out but no worries.

AM
Op 25. PRC missile strike on full strength Taiwanese ground unit. Unit damaged.

IM
Op 14. Pakistani SS attacks UAE SAG. Mine attack no effect. DR= 5

US RE=none

AM
Op 12. Vietnamese marine and SAG move into Gulf of Tonkin.

IM
Op 36. UAE SAG begins sweep. Mine attack no effect. Sweep roll 5

PRC VP=22

Well, well, well Tim finally got the Vietnamese into the war. My two long range planes could strike and I still have my SSM but this makes life a little tricky. Wait a minute…those CVN in the Mouth of the Mekong are not very well protected anymore… devil ninja

Here goes my big Vietnamese gamble. And all I can say is mine sweeping is a %&$#@!!!

Turn d10-2 d10-8

PRC RE=24. Myanmar drops out of the war.

AM
Op 18. LR attack on Vietnamese naval in Tonkin. No hits for either side.

IM
Op 15. Pakistani SS activates. Mine attack no effect. SS attacks UAE SAG. No hits by either side.

US RE=none

AM
Op 14. Move Vietnamese fleet into Spratly Islands.

IM
Op 36. Activate UAE SAG. Mine attack sinks SAG. cry

PRC VP=23

Using LR was not a good idea on Vietnamese. I will launch an SSM attack next turn and if I can sink them, after what just went down in the Gulf, I think I have finally secured the win

It all comes down to these last two turns. If the Vietnamese fail, it’s all over. And yes, the irony of the US needing the Vietnamese to secure us victory is not lost on me

Turn d10-2 d10-9

PRC RE=25. No effect.

AM
Op 25. SSM on Vietnamese Marine unit. Two dice come up 6 6 angry

IM
Pass

US RE=none

AM
Op 19. Vietnamese forces invade Spratlys. PRC 4 Vietnamese 1 Victory!!

IM
Pass

PRC VP=22

YGBKM!!!! Now I have two last turn options: SSM on US CVN or air assault to capture Taiwan. D@*&^%!!

Wow, just wow So now I have to figure out the best response to JJ. If he attacks Taiwan then that becomes ball game. I am less worried about the CVN but we’ll see what he does. It’s fourth and goal with only 10 seconds left an no time outs!

Turn d10-3 d10-0

PRC RE=11 No effect.

AM
Op 4. Airborne/Air Assault on Taiwan. US forces destroyed!!!! PRC loses 1 air assault.

IM
Pass

US RE=23

Pass both maps.

PRC VP=29

Post Game Comments:

PRC
Well that was fun! thumbsup
The game really swung to and fro. Early on I felt like I had the initiative and when Iran entered the war I truly had the bull by horns. Getting Tim to follow me south helped a lot although I might have been better off with massing my air units in Northern China to start although, truth be told, I usually attack Taiwan a lot earlier. The mines in the Persian Gulf proved to be highly effective and we did not remove them when Iran dropped out because it does not say you have to in the rules and we both agreed that even if Iran dropped out they would not be in any hurry to remove those mines since, even if they were not active participants any longer, they still would be rooting for the PRC against the Great Satan. Of course, if those Mosoelms had not revolted I might have won earlier with a Korean War win.

While I did have to sacrifice my fleet the southern strategy did buy me the most important commodity: time. The US has such great distances to travel and the PRC clearly benefit from interior lines in Asia. All in all, this session illustrates why I like this game so much: it is always a lot of fun and it really lets you focus on the high strategy without getting bogged down in tactics.

USA
Well, once again part of the big problem for the US is coordinating forces. Early on I felt that the shadow approach was the best but I did get bogged down there and JJ leaving that PRC unit in Singapore made things tough since if I didn’t clear it he could fight a ground battle and possibly win but clearing it took a lot of time.
Once again the US CVN proved more liability than asset. I literally could not send out a strong fleet to sweep the mines in the Gulf since doing so would’ve left the CVN vulnerable or would’ve made a fleet to weak in SAG to survive that far. JJ’s biggest break, IMO, was getting Pakistan into the war. If Pakistan stayed out I think I could’ve swept the mines from the gulf and won. I still feel like I vacillate too much in Asia but in India I felt that, after the failure of the Gulf States air strike, I had no choice but to bring Indian in. Their stubbornness left me high and dry and an earlier entry could’ve tipped the scales in my favor. Next time, I think I should tailor my strategy to create a defensive line from Taiwan to the Spratlys right off the bat.

I agree 100% with JJ that this game is a lot of fun and really lets players focus on strategic options with total emphasis on the operational aspect and tactical considerations regulated to a minimum of brain power.

Final Note: Yes we did notice we let JJ move that PRC Marine brigade way too far When we discovered the mistake we agreed to eliminate the marine unit for a regular PRC infantry unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An Epic Clash for My 100 Session Report
My sincere thanks, this had flown under my radar despite my love for the original RDR, and I managed to get what might have been the last reasonably-priced copy on the Internet thanks to this review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome
Glad someone found it of use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fun replay of this game. I have two questions. First what happened to the 2 US CVN that start in Japan? You did not list them in your fleet that left Japan on turn 1. Second your use of the Iranian SSM was extraordinary, hitting almost every time. That is remarkable given they hit surface ships only on 2 or less.

As a final comment we have found getting Iran in the war is central to making the India Map an active part of the game but often never happens. We have established a house rule that allows the Chinese player to use OP 1 and make Iran an ally on a die roll of 2 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gammer wrote:
Thanks for the fun replay of this game. I have two questions. First what happened to the 2 US CVN that start in Japan? You did not list them in your fleet that left Japan on turn 1. Second your use of the Iranian SSM was extraordinary, hitting almost every time. That is remarkable given they hit surface ships only on 2 or less.

As a final comment we have found getting Iran in the war is central to making the India Map an active part of the game but often never happens. We have established a house rule that allows the Chinese player to use OP 1 and make Iran an ally on a die roll of 2 or less.

The US 2 CVN went south with the rest of the fleet. I guess I forgot to explicitly list it shake And yes, JJ's rolls with the Iranian SSM were remarkable!
Completely agree on Iranian entry. I will say that in all the games I have played the Iranians usually show up no later than turn 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.